is leon haywood's "comr and get yourself some" lp rare/hard to find?

BruceGeetzBruceGeetz 97 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I ask because I don't buy sealed lp's ever, and I found this og copy sealed. I had been trying to find it for some time becuase of the dre sample (thinking the lp must be good too).

And also I'm djing tonite and wanted to drop I wanna do something...

So if its easy to obtain, I'll find another copy. If not, I'll just open it cause I'd like to listen.

Comments

• honestly, its not that rare and the music is so good. i know a dude in my city with like 15 copies of that one if not more.

open that sucker up, its such a perfect summer song and you'll just slay the crowd...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's not rare at all. I know I've seen it around. (Isn't that the one with "I Wanna Do Something Freaky To You"?)

I wouldn't pass up an opportunity if it looks interesting, but that's just me.

• Word. That's all I needed to hear. Opened!

Def dropping this joint once a few heads start crowding in, perfect track to grab attention and kick things off.

I appreciate the help

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    honestly, its not that rare and the music is so good. i know a dude in my city with like 15 copies of that one if not more.

open that sucker up, its such a perfect summer song and you'll just slay the crowd...

It's an easy one to find $10/15 record at best.

Craig said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    honestly, its not that rare and the music is so good. i know a dude in my city with like 15 copies of that one if not more.

I've seen it go for less than that. Leon's entire 20th Century catalog isn't that hard to come by.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive never heard the album. How is the entire joint?

And what is dude's catalog like?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    GREAT LP!! It has some dope samples but it's just a great record listen to, from start to finish.

batmon said:

Pretty straightforward soul music. He also kept making records well into the disco/modern soul era, for those whose tastes run that way. In addition, one of his first albums was an LP of organ instrumentals (Soul Cargo on the Fat Fish label). The one Haywood long-player I have is It's Got To Be Mellow, on Decca. One side of really good soul vocals, another side of straight instrumentals.

I have several of his singles (on Twentieth Century, plus earlier sides on Fantasy, Decca and Evejim). My fave 20th Century 45's are "I Wanna Do Something Freaky To You," "Keep It In The Family," and "Believe Half Of What You See & None Of What You Hear" (a soundalike followup to "Family").

batmon said:

Pretty straightforward soul music. He also kept making records well into the disco/modern soul era, for those whose tastes run that way. In addition, one of his first albums was an LP of organ instrumentals (Soul Cargo on the Fat Fish label). He had an LP in 1967, It's Got To Be Mellow, on Decca. One side of really good soul vocals, another side of straight instrumentals.

I have several of his singles (on Twentieth Century, plus earlier sides on Fantasy, Decca and Evejim). My fave 20th Century 45's are "I Wanna Do Something Freaky To You," "Keep It In The Family," and "Believe Half Of What You See & None Of What You Hear" (a soundalike followup to "Family").

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Breez said:
    dope samples
    :snowman:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Seek the Keep It In The Family full length. The B.M.F. Beautiful instrumental is worth the price alone. 10-15.00 for sealed copies where I live.

• Craig said:

I never see that one.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the 45 of I wanna Do Somethin' Freaky To You cuts off the intro, so if you are sample hunting you need the LP version.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    The one Haywood long-player I have is It's Got To Be Mellow, on Decca. One side of really good soul vocals, another side of straight instrumentals.

That's the one with the purple cove containing Mercy, Mercy, Mercy and Ode to Billy Jo, right? I have that one too, nice record.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    batmon said:

Naturally from 1980 is one of my favorite cheapo early 80s funk records.

http://www.discogs.com/Leon-Haywood-Naturally/release/196347

this cut always did really well on the dancefloor for me once everyone was already up and moving...

and Daydream, If You're Lookin for a Night of Fun, Lover's Rap, and Who You Been Givin It Up To are all jams.

G_Balliando said:
    pickwick33 said:
    The one Haywood long-player I have is It's Got To Be Mellow, on Decca. One side of really good soul vocals, another side of straight instrumentals.

That's the one with the purple cove containing Mercy, Mercy, Mercy and Ode to Billy Jo, right? I have that one too, nice record.

Right, purple cover with the artist name and title written in a psychedelic font. From 1967, and possibly the only album containing two unrelated songs BOTH called "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy"! (One is the Cannonball Adderley/Buckinghams hit, the other is Don Covay's "Mercy Mercy" mistitled.)