NBA OFFSEASON 2010: BRONMANIA aka FA INSANITY

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    OKC will win a Championship before the Knicks will.

I'll put $$$ on that.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    batmon said:
    So where was this hatt when Boston does it.

Or Gasol magically appears in LA?

There was plenty of it during both situations. People were outraged at that Gasol deal, crying that it was an inside swindle that the league allowed, and everybody complained about Boston buying allstars to win, etc. There was plenty of hate.

JP - I am not saying don't hate on the team, I'm saying don't hate on the idea of 3 good players getting to one team. If you hate any of those players or hate that team already, then feel free to hate away. I hated Boston before they got Ray and KG, and like you, that just made me hate them more. But the fact is, they put together a good team and they won, and that's what the goal is for ANY franchise, right? That's what I was getting at with my comment.

This whole dramatic bullshit is just making me hate the NBA more, including Lebron. He has become way too wrapped up in his own hype and it's really gotten to a point where I just don't really care all that much anymore. I mean, a fucking hour long special so you can tell everybody who's going to sign your check for the next few years? Dude, fuck off.

I also agree with gareth's points about him going to a loaded team to win (the Heat aren't exactly loaded with role guys, but 3 perennial allstars on one team = loaded). With a guy like Lebron, if he wants to protect his legacy with all his hype, he should be able to be the man AND win the ring. Anything less will be a failure in the eyes of his followers. Him taking over a team in Miami with a leader who has a ring already is questionable. I don't think D Wade just bows down to the King on that one. Wade's looking at it like Lebron will be a nice compliment to HIM, not the other way around.

Mavs just gave Brendan Haywood $55 mil.

Erika Dampier is history.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This whole notion that Lebron will somehow "betray" the people of Ohio if he leaves the Cavs is ridiculous. Dude labored there for 7 years and gave everything he had to that organization, generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for that state. The truth is the Cav's management did not do enough to put him in the position to win, and he won't win, at least in the short term, if he stays there. His team members' gutless performance in the post-season the last two years is proof of this. Lebron is not the mayor of Cleveland, he's not an elected official, his job is not to uplift the lives of the people of Ohio or look out for their well-being. He is a professional athlete and his sole, overriding focus should be to win championships.* He therefore should go the place where he's in the best situation to do that, ie. Miami or Chicago. That the people of Cleveland of Ohio will be crushed/devastated and will treat Lebron poorly once he leaves, says a lot more about how pathetic that state is, rather than anything about him.

*Therein lies the difference between Lebron and Kobe, whose devotion to winning championships is undeniable.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    G_Balliando said:

This whole dramatic bullshit is just making me hate the NBA more, including Lebron. He has become way too wrapped up in his own hype and it's really gotten to a point where I just don't really care all that much anymore. I mean, a fucking hour long special so you can tell everybody who's going to sign your check for the next few years? Dude, fuck off.

I hope Brett Farve pulls a Kanye tonight, jumps on the stage, grabs Lebron's mic, and is all "Hold up, hold up. Lebron, Imma let you finish, but I'm the King of this switching teams drama shit." Takes off his shirt and has a Bears jersey on. That would make the whole special worth while.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

I'll put $$$ on that.

Ha, I think most people would. Knicks = cursed.

BTW, re: hatting Miami or not. If they sign LeBron, I won't hate them. I will, however, cackle with glee if they flame the fuck out in the playoffs.

I'm sure many a person who wasn't necessarily an active Lakers hater snickered at them in 2002 when Malone and Payton failed to get a ring with the team.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'll put $$$ on that.

BTW, re: hatting Miami or not. If they sign LeBron, I won't hate them. I will, however, cackle with glee if they flame the fuck out in the playoffs.

I'm sure many a person who wasn't necessarily an active Lakers hater snickered at them in 2002 when Malone and Payton failed to get a ring with the team.

GP never got a ring with the lakers?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    G_Balliando said:

I hope Brett Farve pulls a Kanye tonight, jumps on the stage, grabs Lebron's mic, and is all "Hold up, hold up. Lebron, Imma let you finish, but I'm the King of this switching teams drama shit." Takes off his shirt and has a Bears jersey on. That would make the whole special worth while.

WINNER

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    for me my hatt for malone combined with my storied LA hatt was bliss
    however after years of hatt i've learned to bow down to the one black mamba

Garcia_Vega said:
    G_Balliando said:

^^^Funny Post^^^

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phongone said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'll put $$$ on that.

No. Detroit w/ a newly joined Rasheed stopped the LA Dream Team.

He got traded w/ Shaq to Miami for Lamar Odom.

He copped his ring w/ Wade, Shaq, and White Chocolate.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Kobe > Wade > a terd in the punchbowl > Lebron

A lot of folks are getting off on it as they apparently have their entire lives run by media prompting, but Lebron is making a mockery of sport at large. I mean, you know he's going to show up to his gay ass press conference. But you're not sure if he's going to show up for a game 6 or 7. Toal assclown IMO.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    batmon said:
    phongone said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'll put $$$ on that.

Actually, he got traded to Boston, and Boston traded him to Atlanta at the deadline. Then Atlanta bought him out, he re-signed with Boston for the rest of the season, and then signed with Miami as a FA the next year. Kind of an embarassing way to go out.

faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    phongone said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'll put $$$ on that.

Actually, he got traded to Boston, and Boston traded him to Atlanta at the deadline. Then Atlanta bought him out, he re-signed with Boston for the rest of the season, and then signed with Miami as a FA the next year. Kind of an embarassing way to go out.

Corrected.

Getting a ring as a contributing veteran is embarrassing?

PJ Brown copped a chip w/ Boston as a ringer.

faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:
    phongone said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'll put $$$ on that.

Actually, he got traded to Boston, and Boston traded him to Atlanta at the deadline. Then Atlanta bought him out, he re-signed with Boston for the rest of the season, and then signed with Miami as a FA the next year. Kind of an embarrassing way to go out.

Corrected.

Getting a ring as a contributing veteran is embarrassing?

PJ Brown copped a chip w/ Boston as a ringer.

Spending your final three years chasing a ring while getting passed around amongst four (or five, depending on how you count them) teams is an embarrassing way for a legend to go out. The ring did nothing for his legacy and the process of obtaining it actually tarnished that legacy, IMO.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Wow, what an amazing amount of whining about Lebron. If the guy actually goes to Miami there is no guarantee that he will win a championship. He's just trying to improve his chances. I don't think he has many if he stays in Cleveland because they don't have the chips or cap space to make many major moves to put a real 2nd star player next to him. Plus it's not like other players haven't done this before. Barkley to Phoenix and then to Houston is one example right off the top of my head.

• So what are your predictions?

Mine:
    1. Miami - Can't deny a trio of this caliber....ever been done?
    2. NYC - Personal pick...I'm not from ny, but I wanna see them come up. I miss seeing the ugly ny mugs on tv during playoffs.
    3. Chicago - whatevs
    4. CLIPPERS!!!! - yes please, but never in million...
    5. Cleveland - if he does end up here, he'll be hated even more for all the hogwash.

b/w, I get/understand the hate on the Lebron-circus, and it pisses me off more than the circus itself.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    so what are your prediction
    1-nerd glasses and crochet tie
    2-the horrible comeback of a million flags on random leather jacket
    3-straight ''humble'' suit
    4-extravagant custom tee with new team and catchphrase
    5-national debut of jay-z blue spinoff (cleveland maroon, ny blue or miami rojo)

bonus beat he does the roc signal and plays for /co-owns the nj nets with new jersey (no pun/logo) introduced to the masses

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    also raptors update (for the 3 people who care)

Queen Elizabeth declares: ''The raptors are dead!''

Turkoglu does not want to play for us anymore after 1 out of his 5 year contract
    We just signed some other white dude (at least he is not italian but that'a whole other thread)
    we will have to do deals were we get nothing
    collangelo is double tasking
    we are wasting a good coach and have only barniani to rely on after our good bench was traded
    fans in TO love the leafs and toronto FC they will stick by the Jays but not the raptors
    we will go the way of the dodo i mean grizzlie

pcmr said:
    so what are your prediction
    1-nerd glasses and crochet tie
    2-the horrible comeback of a million flags on random leather jacket
    3-straight ''humble'' suit
    4-extravagant custom tee with new team and catchphrase
    5-national debut of jay-z blue spinoff (cleveland maroon, ny blue or miami rojo)

He reportedly rocked sweats and a t-shirt for his meetings with the various suitors

It's a little bit difficult to take seriously the self-important claims of being a businessman in search of appropriate business partners when they're coming from someone who can't be troubled to put on a pair of actual pants for the big meeting

The NBA Canada experiment has failed.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    The NBA Canada experiment has failed.
    attendance is one thing
    but the ratings must be horrible
    they are owned by maple leaf sports inc which has kept the statistically worst franchise in all of sports (given its income) afloat and well
    but that's because of hockey nationalism in canada...we have interest for basketball but the team has been disapointing at every corner (damon stoudemire draft,mcgrady trace, vince carter fiasco, draft of barniani, Bosh trade)
    everytime we put a good piece in coach,owner or player a huge chunk of bad happens
    you can only follow a struggle to make the 8th spot in the horrible EastConf for so long

Shut it down.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I can't think of one good reason for Lebron to play in Miami...not one.

edpowers said:

I got 3.

K.O.B.E., TRU Warior,Gasol.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    batmon said:
    edpowers said:

I got 3.

K.O.B.E., TRU Warior,Gasol.

no matter how many times these are run out here, the Lakers/Celts parallels do not hold water.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm about sick of this Lebron James free-agency decision "suspense," and see it as him being very narcissistic, egotistical, and self-absorbed. And on top of it all, who gives a flying fuck? There are people with fatal or debilitating diseases, there is hunger in the world, economic collapse and disenfranchisement, especially among the poor, and the public and media are captivated by the impending free-agency decision of a million-dollar athlete. When did our priorities get so fucking twisted?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Big Stacks right on the money.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

I'm about sick of this Lebron James free-agency decision "suspense," and see it as him being very narcissistic, egotistical, and self-absorbed. And on top of it all, who gives a flying fuck? There are people with fatal or debilitating diseases, there is hunger in the world, economic collapse and disenfranchisement, especially among the poor, and the public and media are captivated by the impending free-agency decision of a million-dollar athlete. When did our priorities get so fucking twisted?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

This 'King James' shit is nauseating.

To which I would reiterate - the guy has never won a championship. This is hype for hype's sake.