Old movies you've only seen recently...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I only have a vcr at my place, no cable, no dvd...so I'm always picking up vhs tapes and like it most when I find old stuff I probably shoulda seen already, like these the past week or so...

Oh yeah...

Haven't watched this one yet, but I've got it lined up as next in the player...

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Three In The Attic is one of the great 60s exploitation flicks that you never hear much about. Saw it for the first time on a local Minneapolis UHF station that was the original home of Mystery Science Theatre 3000, came on at 5 pm on a Sunday afternoon and I was hooked. No dvd release, and VHS tapes are rare as hen's teeth as well. Great soundtrack too!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just watched 3 in the Attic last night...wish 3 hot chicks would punish me like that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Dangit, what's with every other youtube posted on the new board getting the red x treatment?

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

it was a quality film to boot

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sunfade said:

it was a quality film to boot

Id watch that just because Eugene from Grease is in it.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    magnetic said:

i just picked up a copy of TORSO but haven't watched it yet, did you like? i think Martino is pretty underatted in his "giallo" output.....

DustedDon said:

i just picked up a copy of TORSO but haven't watched it yet, did you like? i think Martino is pretty underatted in his "giallo" output.....

I loved the last sequence when the woman wakes up in the house and realizes the killer is on the loose,but he's not aware of her presence and she has to elude him.You will like it if you are into Giallo films.
    I felt let down by "Bird with the crystal plumage"
    i was expecting more from it considering it's the great Dario.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    magnetic said:

I felt let down by "Bird with the crystal plumage"
    i was expecting more from it considering it's the great Dario.

well "Bird" is his first film and it's quite well crafted when you consider he was still a rookie director.

i think most people work backwards when discovering Argento's stuff starting with "Suspiria" which is so amazing then when you get to "Bird" you might be expecting something a bit differant.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    just saw Hoosiers for the first time last week, and maaaaaann...

seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
    :hated_it:

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Really enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Been meaning to watch it again.

dstill808 said:
    Really enjoyed this one a lot more than I thought I would. Been meaning to watch it again.

Was originally developed to be directed by Robert Altman, BTW.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    onetet said:
    dstill808 said:
    Petulia

Speaking of Altman, I just watched California Split, which was pretty great.

• pppppppp 261 Posts

Was great.

• Was that Straw Dogs any good? I just saw Marathon Man for the first time which Dustin Hoffman was in. That was a GREAT movie. I really liked it. Definitely reccommend it.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Straw Dogs is very good if you like stuff like Deliverance

This was good too but hard to find scine it was a "made for TV " film

Courtesy Xbox 360 Videos

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    tabira said:

It's a good movie, made before Britain went from 100% white to 99.9% though.

Paul said:
    tabira said:

There are only white people in the movie...doing white people things.

Britain...smh.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    I think BwtCP is Argento's best. Shot in Technicolor, solid mystery, and Storaro and Morricone are at the tops of their respective games.
    Suspiria is cool but the supernatural aspect (anything can happen) kind of kills the storytelling for me. The reveal at the beginning of Profondo Rosso is truly genius (GOAT?), but the film itself looks very cheap -- no depth of field, etc. Tenebre is pretty good but not quite amazing.

Anyway, here are a two nice noirs I've seen recently

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm a huge fan up until a few years ago with 'Do You Like Hitchcock'.

I would have a hard time choosing one over the other to be honest. Just the art direction is enough for me. If I really reallyhad to pick though, it would be between Opera and Inferno. Ask me later and I may say something different.

The underwater scene in Inferno never fails to wow.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    doing white people things

On the old board, I'd be nominating this for your loc. Harv.

hertzhog said:
    onetet said:
    dstill808 said:
    Petulia

Speaking of Altman, I just watched California Split, which was pretty great.

Absolutely. I'd rank that among my favorites of his, and in a recent Bmore "Altman in the 70s" retrospective, California Split was the single screening experience that stood out.

I should have disqualified Rollerball since i had seen it when i was younger but i just recently bought the dvd.
    I'll add Mario Bava's Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs instead, the twist at the end was masterful to me,i didn't see that coming.

Argento's murder set pieces as well as the cinematography is the real draw for me.
    The first film i had seen from him was Phenomena and i have been a fan ever since.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    magnetic said:

Argento's murder set pieces as well as the cinematography is the real draw for me.

Yes!! I know he has a lot to work with given the cities he shoots in, but who was/is this man's location scout!!???

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Paul said:
    tabira said:

Britain...smh.

Errr....so what?!! It takes place in a tiny fishing village in Cornwall in the south western tip of England in 1971. So they, like, go hunting for deer and rabbits. What do you expect?! It's a richly textured film that covers a huge range of issues, but it doesn't try to pander any that don't reflect this context. Like it or loathe it, it should be judged that way. That fact that the cast is all white is like so nothing to do with what the film is all about. (*overcoming cowardice, standing up for the weak in society, individuality versus the herd, masculinity versus femininity, consent versus rape, country versus city, American values versus European...)

tabira said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Paul said:
    tabira said:

Britain...smh.

Errr....so what?!! It takes place in a tiny fishing village in Cornwall in the south western tip of England in 1971. So they, like, go hunting for deer and rabbits. What do you expect?! It's a richly textured film that covers a huge range of issues, but it doesn't try to pander any that don't reflect this context. Like it or loathe it, it should be judged that way. That fact that the cast is all white is like so nothing to do with what the film is all about. (*overcoming cowardice, standing up for the weak in society, individuality versus the herd, masculinity versus femininity, consent versus rape, country versus city, American values versus European...)

And what the film is about is like so nothing to do with an inside joke about England being 99.9% white.

But about the film...so dude can stand up for a murderous pedophile but not his albeit disloyal wife? On that note, the movie did well not allowing conclusions to be so neatly clear cut. But it was cool that ultimately the sheisty wife got left behind.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Actually it's 92% white :-P - but I take your point. I prefer to think that he didn't so much stand up for the paedophile as stand against the mob who wanted to tear him to shreds without a fair hearing. It's a complex film that divides opinion

tabira said:
    Actually it's 92% white :-P - but I take your point. I prefer to think that he didn't so much stand up for the paedophile as stand against the mob who wanted to tear him to shreds without a fair hearing. It's a complex film that divides opinion

Pedophile didn't deserve a fair hearing though. Angry mob obviously needed to be dealth with i.e. rape related. But in that particular case, they were right to want to beat that dummy's head in.