"Slow and Funky" Mix - Big Stacks

2»

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    dammn link aint working...spewing cus it sounds like Im missing something good....

Hey Loko,

Did you try the Div Share player? I tried both the link and player just now and they're both working. Let me know what happens in case I have to upload the mix again.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Hey Stacks...

I tried both it launches the page and then dies on its ass....goes all blank and freezes... could be the work computer (shit I hope they havent blocked Divshare....) but ill try from home and see if the luck changes...

cheers

Loko

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Great mix! Nice selection, and I like the loops and stuff, very smooth listen.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Thanks, Duderonomy!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the mix. Actually, I didn't loop anything, just straight up, old-school mixing. I did slip in originals of some of my favorites joints that have been freaked over the years (e.g., "Move Me") because they fit the vibe.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Thanks, Duderonomy!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the mix. Actually, I didn't loop anything, just straight up, old-school mixing. I did slip in originals of some of my favorites joints that have been freaked over the years (e.g., "Move Me") because they fit the vibe.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Shiiiiiit, there's several passages I assumed you'd run through some kind of software. Major props for keeping it oldschool, and take it as a big compliment that I couldn't tell it was all by hand, and some envy that I'm reduced to firing up the Ableton to get similar results. Great mix though, and thanks for putting it out as a 320.

The echoes though - you using a Pioneer mixer with the built-in FX, or guitar pedals or what?

b/w

Why is it some people can't get into slow music? If the funk is strong, I don't need high BPMs to get my pulse racing.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Damn, this mix is fantastic. And I'm only 20 minutes in. I'm trying to use it as background music while I work but I keep finding myself sitting back, turning it up and just listening. (Luckily I have an entire office area to myself.)

Thanks!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Shiiiiiit, there's several passages I assumed you'd run through some kind of software. Major props for keeping it oldschool, and take it as a big compliment that I couldn't tell it was all by hand, and some envy that I'm reduced to firing up the Ableton to get similar results. Great mix though, and thanks for putting it out as a 320.

The echoes though - you using a Pioneer mixer with the built-in FX, or guitar pedals or what?

b/w

Why is it some people can't get into slow music? If the funk is strong, I don't need high BPMs to get my pulse racing.

Hey Duderonomy,

Wow, considering that I've just gotten back into mixing recently (i.e., set up my recording studio/DJ room since buying a house), I'm pleased you thought the mix was on-tempo enough to think it included loops. I guess I'm not totally washed-up as a DJ! As far as "effects" go, I only added a preset to the output channel out of Logic to brighten the sound a bit (given the ages of the LPs/45s). I didn't add any echoes or anything beyond those that came from the original recordings.

I don't know why some folks don't like slow stuff. I always loved the vibe of slow and funky music, and the lush arrangements on a lot of the old soul recordings. This is what I grew up on, so I thought I'd share it with people who I know love music too. Again, thanks for the love, man.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    especially as i get older i am appreciating the slower stuff a lot more. as some one who got into most of the music i am into now via being a dj at clubs and for b-boys etc i tended to collect mainly faster stuff when i was younger. but these days i have shifted much more to the slow and powerful stuff, i think working with professional musicians has helped me really work out what it was i like about music not just music i like if that makes sense. I made a mix a year or so back called slow burners for my friend who was embarking on a 3 month trip driving around australia in a combi van because i knew he would need something to get him through the long hours of driving, it remains one of my most listened to tapes, this tape reminds me of that mix!

Damn, this mix is fantastic. And I'm only 20 minutes in. I'm trying to use it as background music while I work but I keep finding myself sitting back, turning it up and just listening. (Luckily I have an entire office area to myself.)

Thanks!

Thanks for the love, Snagglepus!!! I'm pleased that you're diggin' the mix. And thanks again to you, dL. I too find the slow stuff moving and powerful, as well as mood-uplifting and nostalgic. Given this time of the year, the mix is reminding me of years spent as a little kid listening to music with pops (RIP). He had such excellent taste in music across such a wide range of genres. I dearly miss him as he died almost a year ago. My love of music will forever conjure up fond memories of him, and the appreciation that he introduced to me what would become a lifelong passion (as a collector, listener, and musician). Regarding the latter, he taught me how to play drums when I was 5 years old, which led to so many wonderful musical experiences over the years (e.g., playing in various bands, orchestra, jazz band, DJ-ing, producing, sitting in on a set at the House of Blues, etc).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
    Thanks Stacks. This mix is REALLY good. I'm enjoying it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Stacks. This mix is REALLY good. I'm enjoying it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Funky Flatulent, for listening and appreciating!!! I'm glad you're enjoying the mix.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Finally the link is working for me...DL now and due to the feedback posts Im hanging to hear this mix...

I got a feeling my girl is gonna dig it too...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Listened to this Saturday afternoon driving the backroads between Waco & Taylor ...smooth and deep....this will get many spins......thanks P.

Rockadelic said:
    Listened to this Saturday afternoon driving the backroads between Waco & Taylor ...smooth and deep....this will get many spins......thanks P.

Thanks, Rich!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the music, and that you and the family returned home safely.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak (Patrick)

• Thanks Stacks!

I had this on rotation while I was painting the crib yesterday, rain was pouring down outside and I was nicely blazed on some natural. So nice I had to rock it twice.

pimlicosquirrel said:
    Thanks Stacks!

I had this on rotation while I was painting the crib yesterday, rain was pouring down outside and I was nicely blazed on some natural. So nice I had to rock it twice.

Thanks for the love, Pimilcosquirrel!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the mix.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    This mix is bangin'...Thanks for the vibes, mang!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Big Stacks -

Really enjoying the mix - THANK YOU.

Scoop Deville used the first track for something on Game's last mixtape.

Hey,

Thanks for the love, 99 Problems and Ketan. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the mix. By the way, Ketan, De La Soul also used the same track back in 1988 as the introduction to "Brainwashed Follower". I've had the original since childhood and it was always a favorite, so I used it to lead off the mix.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    "Brainwashed Follower"

damn, i forgot about that bit! i was just thumbing through the "De La" issue of Frank the other day...it's full of amazing backstory on them - DEF.