I

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
The title track offa "What Cha' Gonna Do for Me" gave me wings on the bike this morning. You can tell she is taking pleasure from singing the crap out of it, as a lion would toy with a lame rabbit. I reckon even Anthony "Hangface" Jackson on bass must have cracked a smile cutting this.Please to be addful of your local pleasurable Chaka experiences.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

I loved her Prince-penned '80s hit with Stevie on harmonica, but when I lesten to it now, the drums and stuff sounds very dated... but still a great song.

Also like her De La Soul co-lab All Good?. Club & home friendly.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    more of a late night with your lady, than a stuck at work on a Wednesday type song.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Back when i was giggin', a good friend came by to see me spin. She's not super deep w/ music but her moms always had a pretty good collection. So she sees that I happened to have Chaka in the stash, for the evening. I wasnt gonna play Im Every Woman 'cause that's too obvious. Kelly picked out Some Love and the shit banged out. I had that album since it dropped in '78, and I never absorbed that song.

Later - on another night, a ladybuddy brings her girl-troop to check me work. One of the sistas is a DJ herself, and was analizin' my shit on the low. I drop Some Love and she freaks the fuck out.
    She's a Chaka-Head(we saw her at Wingate together) yet didnt know this song at all. Weve been very close friends ever since.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Weve been very close friends ever since.

^^^ THIS IS THAT CHAKA MAGIC OF WHICH I SPEAK.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Any love for "Fools Paradise"?

• I though Chaka was a given, kind of like Stevie Wonder or Morrissey. You know, music everyone loves even if they don't realise it.

Was going to post a favourite of mine, "Clouds", but couldn't see it on youtube so here's another classic:

I though Chaka was a given, kind of like Stevie Wonder or Morrissey. You know, music everyone loves even if they don't realise it.

Morrissey?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I though Chaka was a given, kind of like Stevie Wonder or Morrissey. You know, music everyone loves even if they don't realise it.

Morrissey?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Meli'sa Morgan..?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Morrissey?

• I thought Chaka was a given, kind of like Stevie Wonder or Morrissey. You know, music everyone loves even if they don't realise it.

Morrissey?

Just checking you were paying attention.

Meli'sa Morgan..?

The Sylvers....?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I've been a Chaka Khan fan from day one. Here is my main joint right hurr:

, Moke!!! Plus she was/is fine as hell. (if I were single). Big or not, it wouldn't matter, she is a beautiful woman, as well as wonderfully talented.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Always liked this one. Got sideswiped by hearing it on the soundtrack of 27 Dresses the other week.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Meli'sa Morgan..?

The Sylvers....?

In Love We Grow - Rags To Rufus is my new "imaginary wedding song".

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    "Ain't Nobody," while somewhat obvious, will tear the club (filled with women of a certain age) up.

I beat up a living room full of Black Lesbians w/ Clouds.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    The Republican thing is most unfortunate.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Chaka makes me go weak at the knees.

• minimini 879 Posts

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    my brother picked up his girlfriend from her annual visit at the gynecologists office once, and, having arrived to get her early, he sat in the waiting room. right next to Chaka. he texted me to ask what to say because he really wanted to talk to her but he felt awkward doing so in a obgyn waiting room.

i love chaka. growing up in the 80's her first songs i came to know were 'I feel for you' and 'this is my night', before the 70's stuff which i later grew to love. 'sweet thing' is one of the G.O.A.T. also 'you got the love.' and 'quandary' i put on ladies on stage and is a really beautiful song.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I Feel For You gets turned up to 11.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rebbie Jackson does an admirable 'low-fi' version of I Feel For You on the Centipede album.

Probably the only time a Jackson covers a Prince joint.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The South Side of Chicago's very own. I feel comfortable cosigning pretty much this whole thread. Here's a fairly straight forward edit/remix Tony Humphries did of "I Know You, I Live You," which is just about the most romantic title you could put on a song.