Blacking Up:Hip-Hop's Remix of Race/Identity Video

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
manny balone mentioned this doc several months back and it finally has been put up in its entirety, but will only be there until the end of this month. http://www.newsreel.org/Preview.htm

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    man. it must be really humbling to be caz's kangol holder on that tour. oh well, gotta pay the rent.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    wow. is soulstrut ready to discuss this documentary?

one of the things i'm most curious about, is whether it seems like there's something inherently wrong with someone from any culture appropriating from another, or whether this is specific to black-white relations. are there any problems with a Japanese woman singing a song traditionally sung by Eastern European Jewish men?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

one of the things i'm most curious about, is whether it seems like there's something inherently wrong with someone from any culture appropriating from another, or whether this is specific to black-white relations. are there any problems with a Japanese woman singing a song traditionally sung by Eastern European Jewish men?

There's nothing inherently wrong with cultural appropriation if you're talking about the ways in which culture is constantly being adopted and transformed. There's no such thing as "pure culture" that can stay unaffected through the forces of migration, media, etc.

What makes things problematic is the legacy of history and in this case, the legacy of White Supremacy as not just a racist ideology, but also an exploitative system that profited off of Black culture while it simultaneously subjugated Black people. That vulgarity created in the era of blackface minstrelsy is the taint that continues to impact Black/White cultural politics and precisely this topic remains such a powder keg.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

There's nothing inherently wrong with cultural appropriation if you're talking about the ways in which culture is constantly being adopted and transformed. There's no such thing as "pure culture" that can stay unaffected through the forces of migration, media, etc.

What makes things problematic is the legacy of history and in this case, the legacy of White Supremacy as not just a racist ideology, but also an exploitative system that profited off of Black culture while it simultaneously subjugated Black people. That vulgarity created in the era of blackface minstrelsy is the taint that continues to impact Black/White cultural politics and precisely this topic remains such a powder keg.

i agree with that entirely, and i think that's precisely why when the former exploiting group (whites) uses the exploited's (black) culture in a way that doesn't take it seriously/uses it as a joke it is so jarring (lots of examples in there).

but what about the aesop rocks of the world, who aren't using hip-hop as a basis for parody? who (i'm assuming) genuinely love the art form of hip-hop and want to use it as their medium? is it ok for them to create in a form that's somehow "tainted"?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm prepared to discuss Empire Isis.

...I think.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I'm prepared to discuss Empire Isis.

...I think.

b/w

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A whole wealth of bad looks in that doc, both figurative and literal. Which isn't to say it's not worth an hour of anyone's time, because it is.

The thing that struck me about it is how naive so many of the attitudes are, especially from the so-called comedy acts - you really think you can do what you do totally free from any baggage or negative/derogatory connotations? Well, please tell me what else is able to exist in a vacuum, apart from your humour, because I'd like to know. I mean, seriously, what planet are you from?

Quite telling, too, how the young kid in the fitted at the end said he'd be looking over his shoulder to see if it was OK to laugh at that stuff, but only if he was part of a mixed audience.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

but what about the aesop rocks of the world, who aren't using hip-hop as a basis for parody? who (i'm assuming) genuinely love the art form of hip-hop and want to use it as their medium? is it ok for them to create in a form that's somehow "tainted"?

lololololol

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Thanks for posting. I could listen to Baraka all day.

Didn't realize the Bowery Poetry Club was still open. That shit is beyond irellevant these days. Actually, I think this doc could have been made at least 10 years ago. But I guess back then Academia was still wrestling with the concept of "this new Gangsta Rap movement"

But I guess back then Academia was still wrestling with the concept of "this new Gangsta Rap movement"

The academy has virtually nothing worthwhile to offer when it comes to rap, and tends to lag a decade or more behind it.

But I guess back then Academia was still wrestling with the concept of "this new Gangsta Rap movement"

The academy has virtually nothing worthwhile to offer when it comes to rap, and tends to lag a decade or more behind it.

Truth. If ODub were hip, he would be a moderator on the Hollerboard.

Any academic work on rap that uses the word "remix" as a metaphor should probably be burned publicly.

Any academic work on rap that uses the word "remix" as a metaphor should probably be burned publicly.

Citation?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Faux you have no idea how many books,essays,articles in the education departments that have titles such as
    Freestylin your self-history:storytelling,hiphop and urban youth education

they even have some on dancehall and refugees

the worst thing about these ''research'' projects
    is that they act as if they have discovered that hiphop is a means to ''express'' yourself and then have a mandatory chapter on ''the roots'' of hiphop culture

then go on to present this to thousands of uninitiated minds that will be forever ''tainted'' and then start downloading Drake...it's a cycle really

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

LOL

b/w

(quickly looking through past papers to see if I have done this)

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I had high hopes for this thread, but after watching it I can see this might hit a little too close to home for some folks here.
    You know something is up when a race thread is city instead of an instant 10 pager.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I respect all y'alls hustle...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I am looking forward to my upcoming trip to Europe.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Most of us are just in it for the weed.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    A whole wealth of bad looks in that doc, both figurative and literal. Which isn't to say it's not worth an hour of anyone's time, because it is.

Agreed.

IMO, the only person truly interesting with something to say which (Once again IMO) was thought provoking was Amiri Baraka.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This Doc bored the hell out of me...

I had high hopes for this thread, but after watching it I can see this might hit a little too close to home for some folks here.
    You know something is up when a race thread is city instead of an instant 10 pager.

Ehhh... or maybe not many people have found time to watch an hour-long documentary in the half-day since it's been poasted.

Gotta say, the subject matter sounds pretty tired, and nothing I've read about it makes me think it would be a good investment of an hour of my own time.

Ehhh... or maybe not many people have found time to watch an hour-long documentary in the half-day since it's been poasted.

Gotta say, the subject matter sounds pretty tired, and nothing I've read about it makes me think it would be a good investment of an hour of my own time.

^^^^ Owns a signed/framed copy of Young Black Teenagers LP ^^^^

"Thanx 4 lettin' us crash at the pad. Keep It Real......DJ Skribble!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's a seriously boring and misguided idea for study.

First off, all the relevant shit on this was said over a decade ago by Upski Wimsatt. In far more trenchant and succinct fashion.

Second, white kids' struggles to fit into the fabric of rap music and their perceptions of urban/black life and culture is a lot less interesting than, well, actual urban/black culture and the lives, perceptions, contradictions, and work of black rap artists. It just seems like so much navel gazing.

The doc shied away from anything that presented complexity and basically stuck to the most ridiculous examples of cultural appropriation to make an argument that few people care about, and fewer will take the time to expand upon or refute. In fact, I've spent too much time already on this bullshit.

LEAVE HIP HOP ALONEtm

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The doc shied away from anything that presented complexity and basically stuck to the most ridiculous examples of cultural appropriation to make an argument that few people care about, and fewer will take the time to expand upon or refute. In fact, I've spent too much time already on this bullshit.

Damn! We're using Harvey as a verb now?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Just finished watching it, and i find it interesting the guy who made it grew up in dc.

i remember what a shock it was for me leaving dc public schools to move to maryland in 8th grade.

my dc school was about 70% black, had a major portion of the curiculum dedicated to african american history, and had a staff that was probably around 90% black.

when i started school in montgomery county in 1990, it was the complete opposite. i had never seen white kids trying so hard... i remember thinking it was kind of sad. it was also only then that i had people making fun of my airwalks and bad brains shirts.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    kinda just shoulda been nothing but Empire Isis. They're the most mind-blowingest thing I've seen in a while. I see a Solar/Guru mind-control situation with the quiet one.

They're obviously ridiculous enough to be agreed upon...the rest of it, as a Yt Rap Fan at one time or another, yeah, some of the issues are a little too close...at least rapping is dead now LOL...

Mitigating Factor in the confusion: I remember instances of wanting to be not only Black, but: dead, a girl, a bird, stupid, and/or a wizard. So there is that.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This pseudo-intellectual "documentary" is bullsh*t. According to this director, all white people who listen to hip-hop or involved in hip-hop are self-parodying "wiggers." I don't think it's a coincidence that the director limited his interviews to dumb white suburban white kids in the Midwest -- this piece is totally disconnected to what's going in large metropolitan cities like NY, LA and SF.

Hate to say it, but soulstrut rap/race threads are more informative than this piece. And like Faux said, the subject matter is mad dated.

A Stupid Undead Black Female/Bird Wizard???

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    this piece is totally disconnected to what's going in large metropolitan cities like NY, LA and SF.

Part of it takes place in NY

There are plenty of white assholes with fucked up racial/rap-related issues in every major city.