Happy Birthday Stevie!!!

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Yeah, between people arguing about what is good and not good about rap music, and sports, today Stevie turns 60...He is a true American Treasure. I wrote a little about it Pon De Site...

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Happy birthday, Stevie!

Wholeheartedly agree with you - incl. your bit about proper crowds losing their minds to As.

Seeing Stevie Wonder live was one of the happiest and most inspiring things I've ever done.

Just realised that the Youtube shows the wrong album for that cut...should be:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    What was the last good record he made?

Original Musiquarium?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What was the last good record he made?

Original Musiquarium?

He made Positivity in 2005. It's a great record.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    With all of the untimely deaths of great musicians in the past few years, it's nice to take the time to celebrate that one of the all time greatest songwriter/performers is STILL ALIVE!! Keep on doin' it, Stevie! Happy 60th!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Happy Birthday Stevie!

I didnt know he was just 60.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Stevie was everything in the 70's. So many memories I retain from childhood have particular Stevie songs attached to them. Waiting to get picked up during kindergarten, listening to You Are the Sunshine of My Life with my classmates. Going shopping for clothes in downtown New Orleans and hearing Living Just Enough for the City in my mom's Plymouth as if the scenery and song were interlocked. Dancing in the street during Mardi Gras to Sir Duke and Boogie On Reggae Woman. Waiting in the orthodontist's lobby jamming out to Too High. Seeing those Sesame Street performances of course. There was just something special about Stevie and his music that made him essential, like water or air.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There was just something special about Stevie and his music that made him essential, like water or air.

I was going to work with a saying that is something to the effect of "(your) love is like the air I breathe, so unnoticed and so necessary" drawing that parallel but Stevie's music is definitely not "unnoticed" in the slightest.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Saying, dudes. Prove that Soulstrut didn't COMPLETELY fall off by making this thread at least a 2 pager...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    With all of the untimely deaths of great musicians in the past few years, it's nice to take the time to celebrate that one of the all time greatest songwriter/performers is STILL ALIVE!! Keep on doin' it, Stevie! Happy 60th!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    God among mortals:

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Stevie's extraordinary music catalog is only matched by his smile and boundless optimism. Happy 60th to one of the greatest.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    At the old Korean dive bar in our neighborhood in Chicago -- the one where the lady behind the counter would sometimes share some Korean snacks with you (if her little lap dog wasn't hungry for them) -- my two brothers and I rolled in for an evening of karaoke one night. She busted out the book, which had a Korean language section, a spanish language section, and a gringo section for the likes of us.

There were only two other dudes in there. Really really drunk Mexican dudes at the end of the bar. We started trading songs with them, and the Korean lady would occasionally get into the mix and drop some Korean logic on us in between. As the evening wound along, we started buying rounds of drinks for each other, and we were all getting pretty drunk. The only song the Mexican dudes wanted to sing at this point was the Spanish language version of "Feelings". We must have heard them belting that out five times -- Dime, solamente dime -- one of the dudes really got into it.

During the course of that epic trilingual karaoke night, I learned a valuable lesson: I should not try to karaoke to Stevie Wonder's "Living for the City." I do not have the chops. In case you think it won't be that hard, you haven't listened to the song recently with an ear to singing it yourself. There are about seven key changes, each one taking the song higher and higher. By the last verse, it's almost a whole octave higher, and you need either a wicked falsetto or a nutvice to stay on pitch. I had neither.

Towards the end of the night, we found ourselves -- all five of us -- doing a pass the mic bilingual karaoke version of I just called to say I love you. None of us is exactly sure how this happened, but it was without a doubt the most beautiful karaoke moment of my life. [color:white] (yes, even better than that time in Chinatown that the old chinese man put the money into my underpants - but that's a Wham! karoke story, not a Stevie Wonder karaoke story). [/color]

All of this and more, I owe to Stevie Wonder.

Happy 60th birthday.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    wow, incredible to rememember that he's only 60! almost seems like a spring chicken compared to other legends!

is he still performing? anyone seen him recently? i'd love to catch him--for some reason i imagine that he'd bring it with a lot more freshness than a lot of the legendary 60s/70s folks these days.

on that note though, Earth Wind & Fire at Jazz Fest kiiiiiiilled it. Jeff Beck was pretty awesome too, with Narada Michael Walden on drums. anyone who reads the Lefsetz letter (i guess probably lots of y'all) has heard all the knob-slobberin, but seriously, he was great.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Stevie's musical progression, journey and attitude are inspiring
    HappyBday

My Ch?rie amour will be the opener to my wedding in sept

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    got tickets to see him next month! cant wait!

happy bday to a true

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    apparently he played at this jazz club/restaurant in Cleveland week completely unannounced. they kept the kitchen open late for him so he decided to throw down an hour and a half set. there was like 20 people there

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    apparently he played at this jazz club/restaurant in Cleveland week completely unannounced. they kept the kitchen open late for him so he decided to throw down an hour and a half set. there was like 20 people there
    this is really awesome.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    heck yeah! happy b-day stevie!

• neensneens 19 Posts
    BATMON - so great, never seen/heard him sing that before.

• neensneens 19 Posts
    Also, thanks for the reminder, Cosmo.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Thanks for making this thread, Cosmo. We could use some positivity up in here.
    [color:white]This is gonna be sappy, but IDGAF.
    [/color]

I was getting records together for tonight and threw on the "Do I Do" 12". After it starts, my son says "is this the one that goes..." and starts singing "when I see...you on the street!" right on cue. I have no idea how he even knows it. I've played it maybe 2 times in front of him. Shit is deep.

Someone said Stevie Wonder is the closest thing we have to God on earth. I agree.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Awww...don't ruin it dude

On some real shit tho? This kills me every time. Corny video and all.

• neensneens 19 Posts

♥♥♥

Should've been #1 to me.

• neensneens 19 Posts
    These remind me of each other.

These remind me of each other.

autotune...

• neensneens 19 Posts
    autotune...

Well, that makes sense haha.

Stern did an excellent interview here...
    http://www.howardstern.com/rundown.hs?d=1135746000

Won't spoil it, but he does go into song.

Find the rest on the Tube.