Your favorite jazz album(s)

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    so i ask: why get a tattoo where you can't even see it? this is not an attack - a simple question.

For the benefit of others

ah. to this i say thank you, but no thank you.

That one looks more like it would be to the detriment of others

• so i ask: why get a tattoo where you can't even see it? this is not an attack - a simple question.

For the benefit of others

ah. to this i say thank you, but no thank you.

That shit is hilarious.

In case you need something to look at while checking for armpit freshness?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Only thing that bothers me is i'd like to see the full fottage of all the performances and outtakes or performances without all that white people in boats shit.

No way, watching all the old white dudes head-nodding out of time to Monk is worth the price of admission!

hey birdman, heres a new avatar for ya

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Perfect!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

What's up with this? Is it a good album? I used to be really into Kenny G because of his circular breathing techniques. Dude is a master. Anyway, tell me about Candy.

• This one at the moment.....

Side 1 is a polyrhythmic excursion through African and Latin flavours...
    Side 2 is more straight forward jazz.

• Duke Ellington - New Orleans Suite. "Thanks for the beautiful land on the delta" is the deepest jazz track I've ever heard with a fantastic sax solo. In fact it's one big sax solo. There are three or four comparable tracks with driving rhythms and extended melodies and broad harmonies which drive me nuts. Only minor point I think is the bland cover so you should find the Czech release which has a great Saul Base-like sleeve (but dull sound).

Candy Dulfer is a good sax player. Maceo Parker adept. She's not so good with modulations or jazz progressions but playes tough funk solos. I don't like so much the fact that she will shout "funky funky" on live gigs.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    This one at the moment.....

Side 1 is a polyrhythmic excursion through African and Latin flavours...
    Side 2 is more straight forward jazz.

Abso-fuckin'-lutely! Cubano Chant all the way - excellent choice.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

It was the first Ornette album I ever heard and it always kicks my ass when I hear it.

Also

and

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Steve Lacy told me that Gil Evans jawn was his favorite record.

• Steve Lacy told me that Gil Evans jawn was his favorite record.

It's a killer. Huge cosignature on that Jimmy Giuffre 3 record. 'The Train and the River' is brilliant , though the live version from 'Jazz on a Summers Day' is the best. Watching that movie got me seriously into Anita O'Day for a while.

• any thing by this man McCann[/b]

is that the one where he says, right before he starts, "I don't want to hear no glasses clinking or cash registers or applause during the show"?

gots to be one of the best intros ever.

oh and the music is great

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    No Bill Evans yet?

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    since most of my favorites were already posted, no need to reiterate...but i'm surprised that no one has mentioned this one yet

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    anything.

hell yes! damn, i need that record!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Les Stances A Sophie

Ella Fitzgerald - Sunshine Of Your Love

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    No Bill Evans yet?

Oh! Yeah, you're right!
    "From < 2 >" is one of my fav

• Candy dulfer may be attractive, but her father cut 3 albums on the dutch label catfish that will peel your face back. Blunted acid rock funk latin free jazz jams.

Dulfer + cream of the american ex pat free jazz community + a young group called ritmo natural = some wild shit.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    One of my favorite fusion albums: