Rarest of the Rare (oldies radio)

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
my town has an awesome low power fm oldies station. last night i recorded the best program the station has to offer, i think some people here will really dig it. Chucko's Rarest of the Rare 4_3_2010.mp3 - 185.03MBhere are a few things i've found out about Chucko:-he Believes real music died in 1963-the British invasion was a real attack on America, and American music-he loses his mind on the air each and every week

Comments

• "In case you're wondering what this is...this is what radio used to be, when i was thinner and had a lot more hair...i'm gonna order a pizza i'll be right back you stay put"

• soulstrut, this dude is not to be slept on...do i need to sign up for waxidremy to find a place where people care?

okay last time re-upping this post

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What kind of stuff is he playing?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I haven't gotten around to hearing the link yet, but going by the description at the beginning of the thread, I'm assuming he's one of those Rich Rosen 1950's "oldies" types

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I could only take 30 minute of it....

Teener pablum mostly from '59-'63 absolutely the worst of the worst of Rock & Roll.....white novelty doo-wop and Pat Boone wannabe's.

I hope the ghost of Link Wray haunts this guy's(Is that REALLY a dude?)studio.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Dude's radio voice is really grating too.
    Radio show is Big Bopper style for days.

• hmm, maybe i'm the only one who likes this guy

I tune in every week, it's my only source of novelty doo-wop and Pat Boone wannabe's. The goofy radio voice and storytelling is a big part of the charm for me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    (Is that REALLY a dude?)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I bet this is one of the types of guys who would come into the record shop and ask where our section is for "answer" records is and would scoff when we told him we didnt have a section for them....

I could only take 30 minute of it....

Teener pablum mostly from '59-'63 absolutely the worst of the worst of Rock & Roll.....white novelty doo-wop and Pat Boone wannabe's.

I hope the ghost of Link Wray haunts this guy's(Is that REALLY a dude?)studio.

At 10:48 he plays Harmonica Fats'"Tore Up," this steaming, screaming blues rocker that is FAR from a teener.

Of course, there were two corny girl-groupish tunes that came right before it, but still...

Still listening to it...there are a few songs I would have swapped out for something stronger, but it doesn't sound as offensively lame as you guys make it sound. So far.

Okay. Just skimmed through the rest of it. The man does lean a little too heavy on teen/novelty sounds for my tastes, and I find myself wishing he'd spin some Charlie Feathers or Don & Dewey to wash out that sugary aftertaste (that "Hang On, Sloopy" answer record smelled pretty foul). But I still like it, in a perverse "what the other half listens to" kind of way.

This is the OTHER half of rock & roll history that modern-day hipster Cramps fans will not listen to...the "teen idol" Colpix Records shit that has NO punk cred and gets left behind in the record crates. But even with that going against him, I'd probably listen to Chucko if he were syndicated in my town. I'd turn it down (or off) during the sillier, poppier records, but I'd still listen!

A few years back, there was a dude from Boston named Little Walter who had his show syndicated on a Chicago oldies station, briefly. It was similar to Chucko, only Walter didn't deal in whitebread pop too much. Thanks for the link, BGO.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I bet this is one of the types of guys who would come into the record shop and ask where our section is for "answer" records is and would scoff when we told him we didnt have a section for them....

Lol

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "teen idol" Colpix Records shit that has NO punk cred

I ride for Lou Christie.

A few years back, there was a dude from Boston named Little Walter who had his show syndicated on a Chicago oldies station, briefly. It was similar to Chucko, only Walter didn't deal in whitebread pop too much. Thanks for the link, BGO.

I quite honestly grew up on Little Walter. His radio shows were a staple of our
    household throughout the 70's and early 80's. I went and saw doo wop revues that
    he would put on and would win WHJY t-shirts and bootleg Alan Freed LP's.

Walter was one-half of a huge sketchy oldies "reissue" LP industry for decades also.
    One of my favorites was the run of Johnny Burnette and Rock and Roll Trio boots
    of the Coral LP in plain black DJ sleeves with a xerox of the original cover glued
    onto the front.

"teen idol" Colpix Records shit that has NO punk cred

I ride for Lou Christie.

Lou's alright. Not an obsessive follower or anything, but he's done some classic songs through the years.

But I dare you to find me somebody who will defend Paul Peterson.

I quite honestly grew up on Little Walter. His radio shows were a staple of our
    household throughout the 70's and early 80's.

Yeah, I started to ask you (or any other Bostonians) about him, seems like an interesting guy...friends w/Peter Wolf, he was (and still is?) a respected engineer/remixer for oldies reissues...around 2003-05, Chicago had an AM radio station (WRLL) devoted to oldies from the pre-Beatle rock era, and they were running Walter's show on the weekends, which has a format similar to Chucko's (minus the "pop" influence): mainly doo-wop and soul, with the occasional blues or rockabilly record thrown in for variety...and like Chuck, he too had a loud-talking Big Bopper-ish sense of humor.

• I still like it, in a perverse "what the other half listens to" kind of way

yes, i couldn't have put that better myself. i love putting on the station to hear all the bad/weird music that time has forgotten. they broadcast 24/7 with a commercial free low power FM license and i feel lucky that it's an option. the other 2 stations i can pick up are the top 40 pop station that is months behind the rest of the country, or the npr station that only plays wilco, the beatles or bands that sound like wilco and the beatles after the news day is done.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Having the freedom to have an "anything goes" Oldies Show in 2010 on commercial radio is so rare that I hate to see that opportunity being wasted with Marcy Blaine sound-a-likes and teener swoon crap.

I agree with Pickwick....a little Charlie Feathers, Eskew Reeder and Pat Hare would make Chucko infinitely better......his delivery doesn't bother me nearly as much as his song selection.

i love putting on the station to hear all the bad/weird music that time has forgotten.

That's why I liked listening to WRLL, back when it was still on the Chicago AM airwaves. I would never buy Paul Evans' vanilla version of Leadbelly's "Midnight Special," but I still got a perverse kick out of hearing that passe "pop" stuff on an oldies station in between the usual Elvis/Chuck Berry/Buddy Holly/etc.

Having the freedom to have an "anything goes" Oldies Show in 2010 on commercial radio is so rare that I hate to see that opportunity being wasted with Marcy Blaine sound-a-likes and teener swoon crap.

I agree with Pickwick....a little Charlie Feathers, Eskew Reeder and Pat Hare would make Chucko infinitely better......his delivery doesn't bother me nearly as much as his song selection.

He almost gets there a few times. I kind of get the impression that if you heard his show week after week, he might slip in maybe ONE badass twangy-guitar example of rock & roll in its purest state, but you'd have to sit through a few Little Peggy March B-sides to get to the good stuff.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

the thing is with these type of shows, is that they are based on what was actually on the charts, as opposed to what's cool in retrospect... shit, i love pat hare, but that stuff was way niche, even BITD...

the thing is, even if you confine yourself to songs that made the hot 100 from 55-65, you could either have a kickass show or a terrible show...

speaking of this type of thing, reminds me of the Crusin' LP's

a lot of so so teen pop on those as well...

the thing is with these type of shows, is that they are based on what was actually on the charts, as opposed to what's cool in retrospect... shit, i love pat hare, but that stuff was way niche, even BITD...

Actually, no. Chucko was playing some extremely obscure sounds that you do not hear on oldies formats today. Most of those songs that he played didn't chart in the Billboard Top 40, and if they did, they're essentially forgotten by now.

It should be mentioned that not all teen records made the charts. In that light, Marcie Blane's followups to "Bobby's Girl" are just as niche-y and unheard-of as anything Norton Records ever reissued.

speaking of this type of thing, reminds me of the Crusin' LP's

a lot of so so teen pop on those as well...

Not quite the same. Those Cruisin' albums*** were trying to recreate an era, so naturally they were going to lean on the common hits. The "so-so teen pop" kinda comes with the territory, especially on the early-sixties volumes. Chucko, on the other hand, was spinning raers and lost oldies straight from the archives. The spirit may have been the same, but the playlist definitely wasn't.

[color:blue]***Cruisin' was a series of albums where different deejays re-enacted their old radio shows, with hits and commercials thrown in - NOT actual transcripts[/color]