Polish heat - I need some advice

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I'm playing a gig in Warsaw in August and I'm staying an extra day for record shopping. A lot of people are talking about Polish heat but I'm not to proud to admit that I have no clue what's good!!!!I'm staying wirth a local dj who seems to be in the know but I want to ask the SS community too about good Polish records.If anybody knows any shops that info is also very welcome.Thanks a lot in advance. I will post pictures of Olski in Polski for sure!!!

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Arp Life - Jumbo Jet. Okay polish jazz record with a killer break and intro on Bu Bu.

Not much help, but that's all I got from Poland

DJ Ferrari

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

Breakout
    Budka Suflera
    Dzamble
    Grechuta,Marek&Anawa
    Klan
    Niemen,Cleslaw-He's got a million albums,most are worth checking out
    Nurt
    SBB-samples galore
    Ossian-Grab these for ME please oh please
    Test
    Trubadurzy

Most of the above is rock related but some strange and unique sounds too,lotsa sample material.

+ virtually anything in the "Polish Jazz" series

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    The single most obvious answer you could ask for, but it's what I've got and continually digging, Krzysztof Komeda, who did all of Polanski's soundtracks up to Rosemary's Baby.

Also this record:

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Novi Singers
    Grupa ABC
    Henryk Debich - String Beat

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Piort

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yo Olski, some Muza's:
    Adam Makowicz- Unit (1973) just Makowiccz (keys) and Bartkowski (drums) spacing out, contains beats and distorted keys, a nice one imo (NOT for the dancefloor though!)
    Wojchiech Karolak- Easy (1974) progressive fusion, Karolak on some dopeass wahwah organ and fender piano.
    Krzysztof Sadowski- Three Thousands Points Points, and Na Kosmodromie (, both with long tracks, breaks and instrumental dopeness.
    Zbigniew Namyslowski- s/t, classic stuff for the Mango Boogie and Flight on an UFO cuts which are straight gangsta...!
    Laboratorium- Modern Pentathlon and Quasimodo, fusion
    also, it can be worth while taking some chances on cheesy looking stuff, polish musicians likes to break it down untight and funky!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    String Beat is the one to DEFINITLEY keep an eye out for...

peace.

String Beat is the one to DEFINITLEY keep an eye out for...

peace.

and I still need that joint..................................

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I'm not sure, if all these are polish, but they are definitely worth listening:

tihomir pop asanovic "majko zemljo"
    gusztav csik "es egyuttese"
    Piotr Figiel "Piotr"
    Piotr Figiel Ensemble "Somewhere, Sometime"

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    + virtually anything in the "Polish Jazz" series

Were those ever re-issued?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Olski,

It depends on what you're looking for but the obvious place to start is with the Muza and Polski labels. If you like rock shit, then Breakout is solid, as is Czerwone Gitary.

String Beat is dumb stupid hot and I remember an old Ish that mentioned some Orchiestra _______ LP that's noice as well.

I'm playing a gig in Warsaw in August and I'm staying an extra day for record shopping. A lot of people are talking about Polish heat but I'm not to proud to admit that I have no clue what's good!!!!

I'm staying wirth a local dj who seems to be in the know but I want to ask the SS community too about good Polish records.

If anybody knows any shops that info is also very welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance. I will post pictures of Olski in Polski for sure!!!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I really like the ???Nol??? album by Breakout.
    It???s a cheapie but has some seriously strong sit on it.
    One of my favourites.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

• Debich also produced some other hot stuff in Poland... mostly backing instrumental group work with the Polish TV & Radio Orchestra... keep an eye out for his name.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    has anyone mentioned jerzy milian yet?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Also this record:

I found this record a while ago, and it kicks ass. I was wondering if anyone else had this. It's basically crazy electronics, but in a good way. Lots of sample-friendly moments, but I think its also really good listening.

Also this record:

I found this record a while ago, and it kicks ass. I was wondering if anyone else had this. It's basically crazy electronics, but in a good way. Lots of sample-friendly moments, but I think its also really good listening.

co-sign, Niemen on moog and synths, backed by a drummer, the music was done for a polish play, dope material no doubt. Czeslaw Niemen has put out good stuff, sometimes instrumental sometimes with vocals, in the 70's psychy prog steez, in the late 60's (early 70's) heavy on organ typa records.... definitely recommended!

peace.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Not sure whether this one has been mentioned yet because I quickly skimmed through the thread:

Adam Makowicz - Unit

Very nice stuff.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=M&page=2

• SoulificSoulific 103 Posts
    hi olski,

to keep it plain and simple - visit this link:

http://www.cosmicsounds-london.com/

there??s a lot of snippets and information there.

nice thing to get a picture though!

have a nice trip then,

sebastian

Not sure whether this one has been mentioned yet because I quickly skimmed through the thread:

Adam Makowicz - Unit

Very nice stuff.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=M&page=2

yo Motown67, like your reviews big up,.... yep I actually mentioned this fuzzy little nugget also.

yo Olski, one more Muza item, dont think anyone mentioned this, Katowice Big Band- Music For My Friends (1977), should definitely be on your polish shopping list, contains several funky bigband grooves, nice keys basslines ect.... orangeish cover with factory, Im sure they have a spare copy for you somewhere in Warsaw...
    peace.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Krzysztof Sadowski- Three Thousands Points
    Laboratorium- Modern Pentathlon

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Slawomir Kulpowicz - In/Formation

dont just look for the polish stuff though. plenty of heat from hunary, czech, russia, romania, bulgaria ect.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Happenin?? Olskeezy, did you get my PM?

Anyways here are two personal favourites to look out for:

Real dope funky rock record. My copy is completely trashed though, anone got a clean copy?

Then there??s this:

Jan "Ptzaryn" Wroblewski - Sprzedawcy Glonow

This is actually one of my favourite records of all time. I love it. Virtually every track is fantastic, and the band is great. Michal Urbaniak plays on a copule of tracks. You really want it.

Where??s Grope at? We want to hear about "Mr. Cool"!

- J

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I really like the ???Nol??? album by Breakout.
    One of my favourites.

The kick drum on the break there is .

Co-sign on Katharsis, ahead of its time for sure. A lot of nice rock oriented to be had in general.

Out of the Polish Jazz records I own, Laboratorium's Quasimodo is my favorite. Not that big a fan of the series, though-- as far as jazz goes, I'm more fond of the Czech stuff I've heard. Of course, I haven't heard the String Beat type of stuff...

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Thanks everbody for their tips!! I really appreciate this!

Cosmophonic, you know I owe you ... but i havenT forgotten about it.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    really the two best ones are jerzy milian (forget the name but it's blue cover with yellow and spangled stars around the edge) and string beat.

also novi singers first four records are great.

karolak easy.

pop asanovic is yugoslavian but very dope.

btw, I have a copy of string beat on ebay right now [/shamless plug]

i think legend has a lot of polish knowledge but dude is totally awol.

dave

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    really the two best ones are jerzy milian (forget the name but it's blue cover with yellow and spangled stars around the edge)

dave

I think that's his Orkiestra Rozrywkowa 1278 on Muza.

Legend I think put that in his Ish from way back when I think.