unusually good dj requests

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The one regular we have at my weekly (who literally comes by EVERY week) always asks for either "California Soul" (Shaw version) or Foster Sylvers' "Misdemeanor." I love this girl.

• Really? Wow.
    Still, this was a small LA city around 1999,
    and homegirl looked like your average college student.
    I had fantasies that she was some super-digger protege,
    with stacks of raer in her dormroom.

Dap Walk is LA related so maybe she was connected.

Well, DappWalk is NOLA recorded and released, but I don't think
    she was the bass players nephew or anything.

Naw, I would rather keep with my fantasy that she was
    some Japanese exchange student with a balleur funk45 collecting
    dad that housed all his doubles in her dormroom.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    last summer john legend stopped by a small lounge where i was djing in philly and a friend of his handed me a cd with one song on it, "greenlight". i don't think it had been released and i'd def never heard it. one of my favorite songs of the year though.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    legendary deep funk vol. 1 also had dap walk, and that came out in 97.

And my best request was definitely Trinikas "Remember Me", from this really cute girl.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    About 12 or so years ago Bruce Willis came up into the club I was DJing at on an off night. It wasn't packed by any means but it was still a pretty popping party, with me playing mostly hip-hop. Dude just sat down on one of the couches and did his thing, super mellow. A little while into the night dude came up to the booth and was just watching me DJ for a minute. I gave him a pound and was like wassup and he was like yo. Then he asks:

"Say man, I love what you're playing, but I was wondering if you had a song that you could play for me?"

(Expecting the worst...) "Sure man, go ahead."

"Do you have Money Talks by Stevie V?"

(Pleasantly surprised...) "No man, sorry I didn't bring that with me tonight."

"Okay cool cool, no problem..." Bruce falls back for a second... "Okay man, well do you have any Schoolly D?"

(WTF) "No doubt, man. Here you go!" (Cuing up "Saturday Night")

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    About 12 or so years ago Bruce Willis came up into the club I was DJing at on an off night.

That's hot. Although I thought he was going to ask if you had a mic so he could belt one out real quick.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Return Of Bruno.

B/W

Wasn't dude actually signed to Motown at one point?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The Return Of Bruno.

B/W

yes indeed. two albums in all, and he even got a hit single out of the deal (with a remake of the Staple Singers'"Respect Yourself")

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The Return Of Bruno.

B/W

Dude never topped the work he did in those Seagram's Wine Cooler commercials. Real talk.

The best/worst request I ever overheard was a few years ago at the Sheer Magic funk monthly: Dude in a baseball cap (or perhaps some sort of athletic visor) goes up to the dj, soulstrut's own DCarfagna, on some unimpressed, I'm-From-Missouri blas??-blah, saying "Listen, man: I'm a music producer, okay? So you gotta play me some shit." At which point I believe ball-cap actually took a step back from the booth and stood with his arms crossed, as if waiting for said shit.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my funnest celebrity story while DJing was seeing Toby Keith wander in...this was right around the time of the "Freedom Fries" shit...so when I saw him it was nothing but French jammies to irritate him...got a WTF? look from him a couple times.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The only good requests are no requests.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the soundman at the clurb called it:

the name of a song or artist accompanied by a 20 dollar bill is a request

anything else is just a suggestion

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

I can dig that.

The only good requests are no requests.

I'm sayin'. Clubgoers need to vote with their feet, not their mouths.

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    "You don't have Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?!"

This is why you must always have Jorge Ben "Taj Mahal" w/ you.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Kind of off-topic but a guy just came into my shop looking for original Garth Brooks CD's. They had to be original pressings only. He struck out here I'm proud to say.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Man if Bruce asked to get on the mic, I would be all over that. It's either gonna be comedy gold or he's gonna blow your mind by singing Didn't I.

Kind of off-topic but a guy just came into my shop looking for original Garth Brooks CD's. They had to be original pressings only. He struck out here I'm proud to say.

I feel that dude's pain, though. They really fucked up the reissues of those albums.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I have the complete Garth Brooks Box set. Contains OGs of all his CDs in a lovely collectors box. I bought it at a yard sale for $2.00 because I needed that Friends in Low Places song for weddings. Figured I could take it to Plan 9 and get maybe $5, but they would not even let me give it to them. You know you want it.

• i have a regular at an r&b/soul night who always requests lee moses "bad girl".
    also, because all of the djs are big fans, we get many requests for any gino washington.
    also get regular requests for "check your bucket".

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts

I can dig that.

I had a local celeb-lite do that - he regularly pestered me for "Mi Gente", no problem, because it was getting regular airings from me at the time, but then he'd slap the rhythm out like crazy on the side of the dj booth until I asked him to stop. So, one time he came up, requested "Mi Gente" as usual, then slipped me 20 euros. I handed it back to him and he offered me drugs instead. A little while later his tiny gf punched him in the face and knocked him on his back. They're both banned now.

• Some funny shit on here.

I've tried to keep as many requests written on cocktail napkins from the club as I could, and post on my photo blog:

http://nobreastsnorequests.tumblr.com

If you guys got any good ones, send em my way. People have been sending me a lot and I've found alot on the web as well.

Plus there's a whole bunch of other signs and notes and other classic stuff found in and around the DJ booth.

After spinning for upwards of 10 years, I thought I saw it all, but I am constantly reminded I have not!

Mick / @mick_fiction
    "No Breasts No Requests"
    Attached files

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    supreme will post some funny request note pics on twitter.
    He recently posted one that said "play something we can fuck to"

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    james said:
    Real talk.
    Shit, last month at SM there were all kinds of bizarro requests. As soon as I got there and set up, I started playing a ballad seeing as there were about eight people at the bar. Immediately some girl comes up to me and literally demands that I play something she and her two girlfriends can dance to. She played the ever-annoying "It's my birthday" card, of course. I gave her a brief description of the "party arc" and told her to hold her horses, the thing hadn't even started. She then exclaims, "But I'm leaving in twenty minutes," as if this is my problem. An hour later, the jam is now bubbling, the same girl comes up and ask me to play the Smiths! And I'm pretty sure she was sober. Unfortunately, her foxiness could not overcome the ability to be supremely irritating.

My go-to resolve for dumbass requests is to simply point at my record box (holds about sixty 45s) and say "How much stuff do you think I can fit in there?"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I was DJing in Austin back in November and a dude came up sheepishly to make a request, he said "I dont want to bug you, but could you play some OV Wright or James Carr?" I was more than happy to oblige. I then realized it is a 1000 times more fun to DJ in Austin than in Memphis. 2 Memphis artists requested in Texas, yet no one IN Memphis would have ever made that request.