Anybody sell consignment style on Ebay?

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
If so what's your percentage breakdown?Who pays listing fees, etc.? I was thinking of keeping 20% of the sale price and charging consignee for all fees. Does that seem fair? chime in Soul Strut massive!

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    My usual split is 2/3 for the consigner, 1/3 for me. Fees are negotiable, though I usually attempt to split them.

It just all depends though. Case by case basis.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I generally ask for a 60/40 split and absorb the fees myself. Which ends up being about 28% for me after everything.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    You guys do it in person (i.e. you physically have the copy) or virtually (someone e-mails you saying they have a record they want you to list)?

I get the stuff before listing it.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I get the stuff before listing it.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    40% for me, I take all the fees (and the bs with non paying bidders).

I like to do it for a good friend. He has some quality records every now and then.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I've been doing 25% for the few older antique guy's in town. It really adds up if you are selling pricy pieces or bulk.

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    25 percent? Dude you're getting hosed. You should be asking for 35-40 percent. If you're listing bulk terds that might not sell I would even ask for 50 percent.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    25 percent? Dude you're getting hosed. You should be asking for 35-40 percent. If you're listing bulk terds that might not sell I would even ask for 50 percent.

Absolutely! You are putting in a lot of time and effort to sell these babies while they are just sitting on there asses collecting money. Once you get into trouble with a buyer, you are the one getting the negs and all the hassle you have to deal with.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    imo anything over 20% plus fees should really only go to a seller who can command beyond top dollar on ebay and has done so, even the duke bob d has only charged me 20% plus fees when i have consigned with him, things that have sold for over 1000, and that man could sell the captain and tenille for 60 bones.
    now i have 10 yrs on ebay but i'm not a record seller, more a buyer, and there's random buys on there too like chairs and books and art and shoes, so without that credibility it was a better choice to consign, plus he writes a magna carta for each record. i think it also depends on how much the consignee is selling- if it's an entire collection you should get more like 40% because that's more work. but if, as in my case, it's a few supergems there is perhaps less work.

• i do 60/40 (50/50 for 78s) after taking out $3 per listing for fees/etc. when something goes for more bread, i eat the higher fees. seems to work out quite fairly for everyone involved.

If you're listing high(ish) end stuff 25% isn't bad at all. It can often break down to making something like $3-500 for what is basically little more than a light day's work.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    If you're listing high(ish) end stuff 25% isn't bad at all. It can often break down to making something like $3-500 for what is basically little more than a light day's work.

Exactly. Of course I would love 40% but that's not very worthwhile for the dealer. They might as well get full value and sell it in their storefront instead of collect half the money. I listed the first 2 Sports Illustrated issues from 1954 recently, assuming they'll go for $400, I'll make a $100 for about 10 minutes of work. I can't complain..

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    I didn't realize you were talking about balleur items. In that case a lower percentage is reasonable.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I've sold more $$$$ items in the past at a lower percentage, but you've got to be careful - once I agreed to a percentage with a "floor" - eg if the record didn't go above a certain amount, I wouldn't get anything. It didn't, and I was pissed.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I did a 50/50 split with a buddy a couple years ago...
    He was gonna take some really good stuff to a local chain that pays zilch for records.
    So he was stoked and made 1000% more than they would have paid.