Aceyalone Preps Doo-Wop Inspired Solo Project

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Harvey, Plaese to explain. Very suspect. Is there any chance this could be a good record?From ballerstatus.comLos Angeles rapper and founding member of Freestyle Fellowship, Haiku D'Etat and Project Blowed, Aceyalone, is ready to make a return to music with a new project called Aceyalone & The Lonely Ones, which draws on Phil Spector, 60s girl groups, the J.B.s and a slew of raw, dirty funk for sonic inspiration.After indulging his love of Jamaican music for 2007's Lightning Strikes, the musically diverse emcee brings his admiration for doo-wop, blues and funk to the forefront. On the title track, finger snaps, falsetto choruses and Rickenbacker guitar dominate the production, a sound closer to Phil Spector's Wall of Sound than today's by-the-numbers beats."I'm not from that era, but this is my ode to it," Aceyalone explains of the album's feel. "I'm just putting myself into that character as a showman and bandleader. But I can still rhyme with the best of them. Artists are going to experiment and go different places and I love that whole era anyway."According to the rapper, on Lonely Ones, he along with producer Bionik, strike down sonic boundaries and throw the listener back to a time when music was pure, energetic, and fun. He says fans shouldn't be confused, it's not just a collection of songs, but an album where every part is essential to its meaning.While he's received critical acclaim for his past work -- including his 1995 debut solo album, All Balls Don't Bounce -- the rapper is still a work in progress, he admits. After nine solo albums and more to come, there's still a whole novel to go."You might say I'm prolific," he says, "but I'm still a work in progress. I'm just a conveyer of what???s already out there and people just don???t see it. I just interpret it."Aceyalone & The Lonely Ones is slated for release March 31.

Comments

• that article reads like a joke almost but can acey even sing?
    is going to rap over doo wop style beats or wot

• . After nine solo albums

is that right? I only really know of two. I guess I sort of know of the existence of the some others, but 9? Wow.

on a somewhat related note...

in Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists they have "All Balls Don't Bounce" as one the top 10 great covers, but doo doo albums. Is that a mistake? I always thought the cover was doo doo and I like that album. I know some people is not feeling Acey De Uno, but I think that album has some jammies.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    The Greatest Show On Earth!!!!
    I love that song and the b side track on the mic check 12 too is pretty good!

It sounds kinda confusing, I don't think it's a doo wop lp though. Maybe just "The Lonely Ones" gives it that thought. I don't know, So, I guess he gonna do some love ballads ish?

• east coast bias.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

in Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists they have "All Balls Don't Bounce" as one the top 10 great covers, but doo doo albums. Is that a mistake? I always thought the cover was doo doo and I like that album. I know some people is not feeling Acey De Uno, but I think that album has some jammies.

I don't know about Acey, but there are some suspect judgments made in that Ego Trip book. In the "Bumpin albums, bumpy songs" list (where they point out the one weak song on an otherwise classic album) they call out "Powaful Impak" on Enta Da Stage (which to me is a fine song, if one of the more nondescript) and "Officer" on Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde, which is one of my favorite joints on there.

• The first single is out. I'm diggin' it. I can post it tonight.

• this could be good

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    He says fans shouldn't be confused, it's not just a collection of songs, but an album where every part is essential to its meaning.

What is it with certain artists and their aversion to creating anything without an overarching theme? I'm not opposed to concept albums, but it seems that most of the great, classic albums were mainly "just a collection of songs."

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I hope he does a soul cover of that Analillian song. Goot on Acey, dude has always done the experimenting thing with skill and creativity. I expect this to be what Andre 3000 wasn't.....

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I hope he does a soul cover of that Analillian song. Goot on Acey, dude has always done the experimenting thing with skill and creativity. I expect this to be what Andre 3000 wasn't.....

I've never dug Acey anywhere near as much as 3stacks, but I'm also from the South.

Lil' Wayne just leaked the first song off of his super overproduced rock album.

I heard some Gnarls Barkley from their first LP in Wamu today and it was an interesting contrast to some of the more recent 'experiments' in hip hop.

Yeah I think overall as far as rapper-cum-singer-cum-entertainer cats, Cee Lo reins supreme. I remember my mate put me on to his pre Gnarls solo stuff, and even on that the dude was pushing soulful envelopes all over the place...but it was always funky. Plus hes got the best voice. Not sure what Acey will sound like as a crooner, hope he brings Micah 9 to back him up.

PS Herm...thanks for the hook up. DL now.....

• As one of few people on this board who still enjoys (or at least admits to enjoying) new and old blowed/goodlife stuff, I think this album sounds horrible. Acey has definitely run out of fresh ideas as of late. First it was that tepid dancehall thing. And now it seems like he's been listening to way too much Raphael Saadiq ala "The Way I See It."

• The new Myka 9 record (1969) is pretty good, but I've pretty much given up hope for Acey. His ear for beats took a major plunge somewhere along the road, too.

• might just be me...
    but this sounds like some crap hall and oates with bad effects.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I can condense that publicist essay up top into this:
    Aceyalone does Motown.

...and it will probably be a stylistic failure like PPP's new album.
    That song is atrocious, but I still have hope he's got some good albums in him.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sounds like a very loose definition of doo-wop.

Phil Spector, Rickenbacker guitars, girl groups and James Brown are not doo-wop. Not in my book.

• lol
    doo-wop or not that song was awful to these ears.

I thought he was gonna be singing properly, dont know what you call that song,... if he's gonna rime he might as well have stuck to something with morre solid beats. i dont hate the song, but the style doesnt suit im very well....

Bring back Volume 10!

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

Same here. I'll ride for ABDB ALL day long.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sounds like a very loose definition of doo-wop.

Phil Spector, Rickenbacker guitars, girl groups and James Brown are not doo-wop. Not in my book.

Sounds like a theme to a Jon Cryer movie.

Katrina And The Waves territory.

• really awful song.