Personal Injury?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Wondering if this is good karma. b, 21b, 21Driver wasn't looking and hit me on my motorcycle when he merged into my lane. I fell but most of the injury came from the motorcycle landing on my leg. Nothing broken but my leg hurts. Especially at night. Something about it resting horizontally which makes it hurt a lot so I'm not getting any sleep the last few nights. I missed a few days of work and this is actually the first day I've been back. Leg is swollen in spots and a lot of bruising.b, 21b, 21I was really just planning on getting money for my motorcycle which won't be more than $2000. However, my partner says I should get a personal injury lawyer. The reasoning being that you never know how these injuries might effect you in a few years. Generally I consider personal injury lawyers to be sleazy but he makes a good point and he's one of those people that believes greatly in karma and doing the right thing so I was kind of taken aback when he recommend this.b, 21b, 21The guy who hit me immediately pulled over and was very concerned. Admitted to hitting me. I'm waiting for the police report. He's a church going guy who actually said a prayer for me in the ambulance so he gets points for that.b, 21b, 21So what should I do? Chalk this up as part of life or get paid?

Comments

• I work for a PI Plaintiff's attorney in San Antonio, Texas. I'm in law school too. There are sleazy people in all professions. Don't get it twisted and try not to generalize too much. b, 21b, 21To address your point, you should absolutely hire a reputable attorney for the reasons your friend has highlighted. Karma is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills nor does it help with any future painful conditions you may suffer from as a result of the accident. b, 21b, 21It's not about getting paid. It's about being prudent and taking care of yourself because no one else will. b, 21b, 21Good luck and my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• you don't wanna be high and dry if your leg needs expensive rehab down the road. b, 21b, 21nice dude aside, he effed up. that is why he has car insurance. b, 21b, 21think of it this way, how much would you need to get paid to let someone hit you in the leg with a baseball bat?

• ps- glad to hear you survived the crash. coulda turned out a lot worse.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Go see a doctor man!b, 21b, 21My wife's daughter fell late last year whena kid pulled a chair out from under her as she went to sit down. Not much to report at the time and she seemed ok after a week. Months later she started to get sporadic pains in her arm, neck and back, and when she went to a Chairopractor, it turned out there was serious on-going treatment that she needed for what was a minor, unchecked injury from that fall.b, 21b, 21Medical Bill? $4K+

• Go to the doctor.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Go to the doctor. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I was taken to a doctor immediately after the accident.

• Okay, so I think I'll get a lawyer. Where do I find one? I don't want to just open a phonebook and randomly point. Any resources? I'm already asking friends for recommendations.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Yeah, where would you possibly find a lawyer on soulstrut???????

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yeah, where would you possibly find a lawyer on soulstrut??????? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Asking more for a resource. Like angieslist.com is for contractors. Wondering if there's something similar for lawyers.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I was just kidding.
    skel

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Go to the doctor. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I was taken to a doctor immediately after the accident. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Oh yeah, duh. Ambulance. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/718.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Wondering if this is good karma. b, 21b, 21Driver wasn't looking and hit me on my motorcycle when he merged into my lane. I fell but most of the injury came from the motorcycle landing on my leg. Nothing broken but my leg hurts. Especially at night. Something about it resting horizontally which makes it hurt a lot so I'm not getting any sleep the last few nights. I missed a few days of work and this is actually the first day I've been back. Leg is swollen in spots and a lot of bruising.b, 21b, 21I was really just planning on getting money for my motorcycle which won't be more than $2000. However, my partner says I should get a personal injury lawyer. The reasoning being that you never know how these injuries might effect you in a few years. Generally I consider personal injury lawyers to be sleazy but he makes a good point and he's one of those people that believes greatly in karma and doing the right thing so I was kind of taken aback when he recommend this.b, 21b, 21The guy who hit me immediately pulled over and was very concerned. Admitted to hitting me. I'm waiting for the police report. He's a church going guy who actually said a prayer for me in the ambulance so he gets points for that.b, 21b, 21So what should I do? Chalk this up as part of life or get paid? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21Go check your drivers insurance policy and see what it says on the declaration page if you don't already know.b, 21b, 21Not sure about your state, but in PA and NJ (and most states), if you (the victim) has full tort, than you can get pain & suffering as part of compensatory damages. If not, and its not a catastrophic injury, you can only get wage loss & hospital bills.b, 21b, 21Therefore, most lawyers who aren't in a PI firm that makes money off of volume wouldn't go near your case unless its full tort. Because this is a contingent case (i assume you don't want to pay hourly), its just not worth it for a lawyer to take your case if he has to do a lot of work on it...unless you are either seriously injured or you have full tort.b, 21b, 21So - if you have full tort, its a real case, even if your injury isn't a big deal. "Real" in the sense that an insurance company will likely put some money up. If you don't have full tort and its not a real injury then i don't know if a lawyer will even take it, nor is it probably worth your while. Last scenario is that you don't have full tort, but it is a real injury. If that is the case, make sure to document days missed from work and go to as many doctors visits as you think necessary. I don't know the law in your state and its possible you could get more than just $ for job loss + hospital bills.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Okay, so I think I'll get a lawyer. Where do I find one? I don't want to just open a phonebook and randomly point. Any resources? I'm already asking friends for recommendations. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Check your state bar association's website. Don't go to the yellow pages and look for the firm with the biggest ad.

• b, 21b, 21If they're good enough for Shat, well then...

• I know it’s quite an old thread but couldn’t stop myself from commenting on it. Something of this sort happened with my cousin too but thankfully he hired a top Los Angeles DUI lawyer to fight off all charges. Even he got impressed with an unexperienced lawyer who had a great marketing strategy.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    b, 21b, 21... Or something.

GJ