COUNTRY ROCK

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
Summer road trip is emerging and the whiteboy in me comes out with the a fine dose of Flying Burrito Brothers, Neil Young, Marshall Tucker Band, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo. Any more recommendations?

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Otis's iRiver has like 100 GIGS all funk... jazz funk, euro funk, Brazilian Funk, deep funk, new funk. Gost to braek up the funk monotony on this trip.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Gene Clark "Roadmaster"
    Area Code 615
    Michael Nesmith
    the first Poco lp
    Greatful Dead's "Workingman's Dead"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Otis's iRiver has like 100 GIGS all funk... jazz funk, euro funk, Brazilian Funk, deep funk, new funk. Gost to braek up the funk monotony on this trip.

be careful though - this is the gateway drug. once you get hooked, you will be bumpin' str8 Buck Ownens, Merle Haggard, George Jones, etc. And it's hard to explain that away to the people who catch you...

• tiptoetiptoe 57 Posts

wow!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Little Feat's 1st LP
    The Band s/t and Rock of Ages
    Waylon Jennings -Ladies Love Outlaws
    Merle Haggard and the Strangers-anything on Capitol
    Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard- Pancho and Lefty
    East Bound and Down-Jerry Reed

• Summer road trip is emerging and the whiteboy in me comes out with the a fine dose of Flying Burrito Brothers, Neil Young, Marshall Tucker Band, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo. Any more recommendations?

???? - never that while I'm driving!
    j/k

I've got some salsa and, um, the Garden State OST, oh i'll put the Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle back on..

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

doobies = funk????

(or for that matter, country???)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    George Jones is my shit. Anything on Musicor or Mercury.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    allman brothers
    lynard skynard

i dont know... however i do recommend this:

merle haggard
    willie nelson
    chet atkins
    johnny cash
    bob wills
    asleep at the wheel
    patsy cline

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i used to be roommates with mike nice (for those that know dude) and he had a cat named Toonces. that was my little buddy. every morning i would wake up and he'd be at my door and we would walk outside onto the patio and stretch and look at the birds and the people on the street. after a little fresh air i'd go make coffee and get food ready while toonces got his morning treat.

i made louie (my other roommate at the time and hes the cat that runs the rap section at the sf amoeba) keep giving toonces treats every morning after i moved out.

i need an animal in my life... sorry to be off-topic.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    More George Jones....
    Attached files

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Amboy Dukes - s/t and "Journey To The Center Of The Mind"

The Guess Who

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Cosign:
    Fraser and Debolt
    1st Little Feat
    Byrds- Sweetheart

Add:
    Euphoria
    Help Yourself.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Debolt kind of looks like Uma Thurman. Need this on MP3 ASAP.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    dale watson =

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Albert Lee's guitar work with 10 Years After is very hawt.

I'm listening to the first Jackson Browne album right now (S/T--in a dollar bin near you and one of my favorite records) and Lee plays a smokin' solo over some bongo madness on "Under The Falling Sky."

• not exactly country but a great summertime record that would vibe with some of these joints...

love that Byrds lp.

• Jon-Rae Fletcher (and the River) -- he lives in Toronto

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Summer road trip is emerging and the whiteboy in me comes out with the a fine dose of Flying Burrito Brothers, Neil Young, Marshall Tucker Band, Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo. Any more recommendations?

Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas Quintet): Texas Rock for Country Rollers ('76)

Faron Young - ostensibly for his definitive interpretation of Willie Nelson's 'Hello Walls,' maybe the best Nelson composition ever...

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis (especially given the session players such as Steve Cropper involved)

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Doug Sahm (Sir Douglas Quintet)

fo reals though.

also, on a "newer" tip i dig the first few My Morning Jacket albums. New stuff is a little , but i jam this on the regular

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

isn't it Alvin[/b] Lee?

i'll add to the list...Brethren

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

isn't it Alvin[/b] Lee?

Damn!

In England, Albert Lee[/b] has been household name, and in Nashville and Los Angeles he's been one of the most in-demand session guitarists there is; but outside of professional music circles in America, he's one of those vaguely recognizable names, and occasionally misidentified with his similar-sounding contemporary, ex-Ten Years After guitarist Alvin Lee[/b] (with whom he did share a berth once, in Jerry Lee Lewis's band on the latter's London Sessions album)

But it is Albert who plays on that Jackson Browne song.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I can recommend quite a bit.

But perhaps I'll do that next year.