Film-Strut: Mulholland Drive

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I just saw this on DVD. At first I was like img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crick13ab.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21 but then img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MJ.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121Discuss.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I was unable to determine what exactly went down.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    i just thought it was lynch being extra difficult. was neither over nor under, but merely whelmed by it.

• I worked out my own interpretation at the time, but there are some good sites on the net that explain pretty much the entire film in a wholly satisfactory manner. One of my favorite Lynches.

/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121sites on the net that explain pretty much the entire film in a wholly satisfactory manner.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Shouldn't the film be doing that? - I ride for Lynch 4 DAYZ but throwing in "Dream sequences" which, let's face it, only marginally differ from Lynch's usual take on reality, don't make it any easier to follow.b,121b,121Blue Velvet is his best, IMHO.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The fact it was originally planned as a TV pilot which then had a new ending filmed when it was picked up for distribution helps explain some of the strangeness and loose ends on offer (similar to the version of the Twin Peaks pilot that was turned into a feature length with attempted boxes ticked ending) but I kinda liked the open ended feel to it.b,121b,121I remember reading previews saying that it was his most cryptic piece yet (though Inland Empire destroys it on that front) and sitting in the cinema smugly thinking "I get this" and "this ain't anywhere near as complex as Lost Highway" until they went to the theatre and then found myself totally lost for the last section. My confusion was lightened by the bunch of lads behind me who had come to see some lipstick lesbian action and could be heard almost crying with confusion as the film unravelled.b,121b,121I've read a couple of theories and they all kinda make sense but, to be honest, the plot comes second to the atmosphere and feel in a film like this anyway so I'm happy to just go along for the ride. I'n not part of the club that think it's Lynch's greatest work ever (I suspect that, like we see so many times, the critics relief at a "return to form" upped their plaudits) but I do think it's a damn fine movie.b,121b,121Bonus point for Billy Ray Cyrus cameo as well.

I was about to mention Cyrus being good but didn't have the testicles.b,121b,121I did enjoy watching the film though. There were some genuinely great Lynch moments. I thought Naomi Watts auditioning with that older bloke was t3h meltz0r.

Yeah I was blown away by Watts performance in the film as a whole, her switch from naive Nancy Drew to seductive vamp to something all together darker was superb - little did I know that within 2 years of seeing Mulholland Drive I would be sick to my back teeth of the sight of her.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121sites on the net that explain pretty much the entire film in a wholly satisfactory manner.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Shouldn't the film be doing that?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No doubt, but unfortunately most of us don't have the time nor the patience to rewatch a film until each detail of a labyrinthine plot becomes clear (which shouldn't be the point anyway). I just pointed out that there are sites that break down the film in a way that should satisfy those looking for "logic."

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    this film was like getting blue balls from a hot bitch that teased you for 2 hours and then told you she had her periodb,121b,121the cowboy was creepyb,121b,121the lesbian scene and the main babe were almost forgettableb,121b,121overall it was a disappointment and reeked of made for tvb,121b,121inland empire was a bit better but still too slow and boringb,121b,121he has passed his "hey day" b,121that said i am sure he has a real banger left in the worksb,121b,121but lost highway was the last thing he did that really shook me
    Duderonomy

Good interview with David Lynch here:b,121b,121a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/feb/08/davidlynch" target="_blank"1http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/feb/08/davidlynch/a1b,121b,121"MK: I'd like to show a clip from Eraserhead, but before I do, one specific question. One of the recurrent images in your films is of electricity arcing, light-bulbs crackling, two points and something arcing between them. And it seems to me that this somehow relates to what you think about the synaptic arcs in our brains, about making connections. I know you hate saying what things mean in your films, but am I right in thinking that that's at least in the right area?b,121b,121DL: [pause] No. "

Ha! I love interviews with Lynch. I'll never forget when the BBC did a feature on him many years ago and he unveiled his duck eye theory which is so spot on it's frightening. I was desperately trying to think how to describe it but was saved by youtube (Shame it had to be with that muppet Mark Coussssssssinsssss) it's in here at 3.45.b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I recently re-watched this film and even re-read the "tips" Lynch included in the DVD to help explain the film. It didn't help. I stopped trying to figure it out and sort of enjoy it as a collection on marginally connected vignettes. b,121b,121My favorite scene (aside from the lesbo love, of course) is that guy shooting that one dude for the secret black book, and then killing the woman in the neighboring office and the janitor. Shit was hilarious. b,121b,121On the Lynch front, I need to revisit [i]Dune/i1.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Yeah I was blown away by Watts performance in the film as a whole, her switch from naive Nancy Drew to seductive vamp to something all together darker was superb - little did I know that within 2 years of seeing Mulholland Drive I would be sick to my back teeth of the sight of her.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I know, right?b,121b,121This is also one of my favourite Lynch movies - I have just blocked out the outrageously bad ending.b,121b,121Salon did a good break-down/explanation of all the WTFs back when the movie came out.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Ha! I love interviews with Lynch. I'll never forget when the BBC did a feature on him many years ago and he unveiled his duck eye theory which is so spot on it's frightening. I was desperately trying to think how to describe it but was saved by youtube (Shame it had to be with that muppet Mark Coussssssssinsssss) it's in here at 3.45.
    b,121
    b,121
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Hadn't seen that before thanks.b,121b,121b,121img src="http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/paintings/thislov.jpg"1

Will have to check it out but without revisiting I seem to recall that the explanation that seemed to fit best for me at the time was that b,121b,121*Minor spoilers* b,121b,121everything up to the final part was Watt's characters drugged up fantasy about how she wished it had been and that the montage sequence was what actually happened so objects and characters from reality became symbolic objects in her dream.b,121b,121*Spoiler end*b,121b,121But I agree, the ending felt like it was tagged on after the beautiful build up before it. b,121I do love the movie but am still frustrated that I'll never get to see where Lynch would have taken it if it had got commissioned as a TV series - so so much potential there.b,121b,121I think I'm going to have to rewatch it tonight now.

• love that film. agreed that the narrative is "difficult". feels easier to follow than lost highway though (which was previously my favourite before that)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Heh, it's been a while since I've seen this movie. Salon.com had a pretty in depth interpretation of all the img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21 and img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21 moments a href="http://archive.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/" target="_blank"1here.b,121b,121I thought it was an interesting readb,121b,121BTW, I just realized recently that this guy:b,121b,121img src="http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/8791/mulholland5we.jpg"1b,121b,121co-wrote Tropic Thunder

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Ha! I love interviews with Lynch. I'll never forget when the BBC did a feature on him many years ago and he unveiled his duck eye theory which is so spot on it's frightening. I was desperately trying to think how to describe it but was saved by youtube (Shame it had to be with that muppet Mark Coussssssssinsssss) it's in here at 3.45.
    b,121
    b,121
    object width="425" height="344"1
    param name="movie" value=""1
    /param1
    param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1
    /param1
    embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1
    /embed1
    /object1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121It almost sounds like he's describing sinestesia.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I think I'm going to have to rewatch it tonight now.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121This is another one of those films that an old flatmate bought at the time, so I didn't bother. Now I'm without, and I cry.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121It almost sounds like he's describing sinestesia.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121'had to look it up.b,121b,121syn??es??the??sia b,121b,121???noun b,121a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color. b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121I wouldn't really want to presume to know what Lynch is getting at, but that's not entirely what I took from his 'theory'. b,121But I think the fact that you can get there and I can end up thinking about, the scene in The Shinning where the little boy is riding his trike along the hall, with the very busy decor/carpet, and wondering what their ratings are, and which part is the ducks eye, is part all of Lynches' charm.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    David Lynch is one of the surrealist directors that I hate the most. That being said I thought Eraserhead, elephant man and Mullholland drive were excellent compelling films. b,121b,121Mullholland drive made 100% sense to me, until the film switched over. Then it left me thinking WTF until the end of the film, and made me question understanding any of the film. Probably was the only film that has ever done that. It begs for being rewatched, and I think after multiple viewings that you gain a full understanding of where the narrative is trying to explain. b,121b,121Blue velvet and lost highway are super overrated. b,121b,121I still haven't seen inland empire yet, but I'll probably catch it on rental. b,121b,121I still wish jodorowsky would've directed dune. b,121b,121- spidey

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121It almost sounds like he's describing sinestesia.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121'had to look it up.
    b,121
    b,121
    syn??es??the??sia b,121b,121???noun b,121a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color. b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121I wouldn't really want to presume to know what Lynch is getting at, but that's not entirely what I took from his 'theory'. b,121But I think the fact that you can get there and I can end up thinking about, the scene in The Shinning where the little boy is riding his trike along the hall, with the very busy decor/carpet, and wondering what their ratings are, and which part is the ducks eye, is part all of Lynches' charm. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Whoops, I used the Spanish spelling. Seeing things as numbers is what reminded me of that. Though, it also reminds me of my nephew, who has Asperger's. I remember when he was four and he was frantically trying to explain some game he'd made up that involved assigning values to mythical creatures based on how close to being real they were, along with other factors.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121assigning values to mythical creatures based on how close to being real they were, along with other factors.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Do you guys assign personalities to numbers from 0 to 9? And their relationships with each other? And hierarchies? 0, 2 and 9 running the show, but 1 being the figurehead, 3 and 5 not being trustworthy but very clever, 4 and 5 being very good friends and 2 and 3 being bitter rivals....?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Probably the worst movie I've ever paid to see.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Though, it also reminds me of my nephew, who has Asperger's. I remember when he was four and he was frantically trying to explain some game he'd made up that involved assigning values to mythical creatures based on how close to being real they were, along with other factors.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/GetOnMyComp_gm.jpg" alt="" 21

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Do you guys assign personalities to numbers from 0 to 9?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I did when I was a kid. I think that's actually very common.

• I always viewed this movie as just a little commentary on the evil allures of LA/Hollywood. But with the oddball atmospherics we've come to expect from Lynch taken to a slighter higher and more self-indulgent level.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121assigning values to mythical creatures based on how close to being real they were, along with other factors.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Do you guys assign personalities to numbers from 0 to 9? And their relationships with each other? And hierarchies? 0, 2 and 9 running the show, but 1 being the figurehead, 3 and 5 not being trustworthy but very clever, 4 and 5 being very good friends and 2 and 3 being bitter rivals....?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Do what? I'm confused. Is this some form of learning aid that passed me by?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I just saw this on DVD. At first I was like
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crick13ab.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" 21 but then
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MJ.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohmyer1.gif" alt="" 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" 21
    b,121
    b,121Discuss.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121one of my favoritesb,121laura harring is super img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bizzo.gif" alt="" 21 in that filmb,121requires repeat viewingb,121b,121dumpster dude never fails to disappointb,121watch out for the elderlyb,121don't fuk with mob controlled studios

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    serious question: if we accept that Lynch's films are imagery-heavy mindfukks aimed at the subconscious, why is there a need to reconstruct a tidy chronological narrative out of the film? b,121b,121I walk into a David Lynch film with the same sort of outlook I would walking into a film like Holy Mountain or Color of Pomegranate: I want to have an interesting experience formed from strange, striking images that resonate with me on some emotional level -- as well as encounter some bizarre situations and/or characters that unnerve me and take me out of my comfort zone. b,121b,121The fact that most of Lynch's wilder films can still be puzzled together on a narrative level is just secondary icing on the cake to me.