Your Favorite Spiritual Jazz LP’S?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "dark of light" is a great album.

that run of LPs is fan-TAS-tic, including 'Slewfoot', probably my fave Connors LP because it bridges all those styles so effortlessly, and sounds so great!

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Abdul Wadud - Solo Cello LP on Bisharra

That's my man right there. I'll buy anything with Wadud on it. I love those jawns he did with James Newton and Anthony Davis on India Navigation and Sackville. I think there's a duet LP with Julius Hemphill on Black Saint too. Oh shit! And what about those jawns with "Black" Arthur Blythe? Sick.

Great!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Crazy rare, but how dope is that James Tatum?

I love it. There's alot of beautiful Rhodes, no 'dope breaks' or anything like that tho.

The guy told me he wanted to reissue it with modern overdubbed strings & choirs, sounds like a bad move & I tried to tell him so( politely).

---

Tatum himself? That does sound like a questionable idea. It's a Detroit piece, right?

Detroit piece, yup. Tatum is currently a music educator in the motorcity area.

---

• i finally got a copy of this lp on wednesday... the harmonies on the title track are so nice...

"utamu" is such a deep tune...

and i couldn't find a picture, but michael white "spirit dance" is another nice spiritual lp...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    not too sure what is defined as spiritual. but i like malachi magoustus favors "the natural & the spiritual" and since it has the word spiritual in it im assuming that qualifies

"utamu" is such a deep tune...

Huge cosign. That whole LP is a monster.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Co-sign on the Doug Carn
    Mary Lou Williams "Mary Lou's Mass"
    Idris Muhammad "peace and Rhythm"
    Both Eddie Gale lp on Blue Note
    Both Oneness of Juju's on Black Fire

• "utamu" is such a deep tune...

Huge cosign. That whole LP is a monster.

[plug] I wrote an article for the next wax poetics on the place where that was recorded (The East) complete with interviews, photographs, the works. The story behind the location is mind-blowing and could fill 10 books, so it's really just a glimpse into that world. Suffice to say they were walkin like they were talkin - listen to "invocation". There's a book that just came out that sums up the political side of things, called "truth crushed to the earth will rise again" by kwasi konadu. (you can find it on amazon) [/plug]

Andrew is making moves in the real world ...

... heads need to recognize

i'm getting that book. thanks. looking fwd to your article.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The inventors of 'Spiritual jazz'

Bringing me down.

Get outta here with that Jesus bullshit.

We're talking tripped out spiritual, man.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I know one of these is considered spiritual jazz, I dont know about the other three, but I like 'em a lot.

that randy weston is !!!!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    some i can think of while seated and groggy

every impulse Alice, Pharoah
    brother ah - move ever onward
    michael white - pneuma
    shamek farrah - first impressions
    bennie maupin - jewel in the lotus
    charlie haden - liberation music orchestra
    the eddie gales
    mccoy tyner - extensions

wait.... what the fuck is spiritual jazz. is joe harriot spirtual? don cherry brown rice? miles davis - big fun? the awakening? chivo borraro?

• Mary Lou Williams Black Christ of the Andes
    Doug Hammond Reflections in the Sea of Nurnen
    Pharoh Sanders ( all titles )
    Alice Coltrane ( all titles )
    Doug and Jean Carn on Black Jazz
    Harold McKinney on Tribe
    Decendents of Mike and Pheobe
    John Coltrane lp's on Impulse

• slushslush 691 Posts

quad-cosine

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

quad-cosine

I still haven't fucking even heard this LP.

I know one of these is considered spiritual jazz, I dont know about the other three, but I like 'em a lot.

What's up that Phil Woods? I didn't know he went out there, after all that shit he used to talk about Braxton.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

What's up that Phil Woods? I didn't know he went out there, after all that shit he used to talk about Braxton.

Yeah, what up.

I got all those xcept the woods.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    "moves" is one of my favourite sad numbers ever

emotions run deep like a crying sprinter in the forest

• Doug Hammond Reflections in the Sea of Nurnen

quad-cosine

I still haven't fucking even heard this LP.

a lot of it is typical tribe ( not that there is anything wrong with that ) but the track that stokes me is when he gets all fragile and sings this mellow deprived spiritual ballad. shit is fragile as a nutsac.

• jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
    Most Strata East & Black Jazz titles fall under this category, Tribe also. Horace Silver's United States... is my fav. I also like Andy Bey's Experience & Judgement. Somebody metioned Stan Clarke Children of Forever (Love this!)

Gary Bartz - Taifa/Uhuru
    Nathan Davis - If (and others)
    Hugh Masekela - Emancipation of Hugh Masekela/Lasting Impressions of Ooga Booga
    Max Roach - Members Don't Git Weary
    Hutcherson/Harold Land - San Francisco
    Horace Silver - (Silveto lps)
    Feather - Chen Yu Lips/Zanzibar/Goin' Through Changes

Yeah, what up.

I got all those xcept the woods.

its a big, funky, tripped out record. Lots of rhodes, some synth squiggles...Phil plays through effects and his playing is in a kind of post-bop, he reaches, but remains fluid, he doesnt squeal or skronk much, but he gets out there.
    The first track, the way it is mixed, could easily be a instro out-take from the "Low End Theory" the bass and drums are so ridiculously fat and loud. But I would call it spiritual because it has chimes and shit on it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    does this record count?

does this record count?

I would say that is the first spiritual jazz LP

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "Dahts Zee Joke"

"Dahts Zee Joke"

• I always have thought of "spiritual" jazz being modal and different from the funky electric jazz like on the Black Jazz label, nathan davis "If" that kind of thing, which is really more R&B ish. Are they really included?