Jazz - Far Eastern Influenced

ShavedpennyShavedpenny 10 Posts
edited May 2018 in Music Talk
Maybe someone would help share some knowledge ...I am looking for suggested listening for any specific recordings or artist who may have flirted with unconventional instrumentation during their career. I have been specifically attracted to:

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda, Universal Consciouness, Ptah, The El Daoud

Pharoah Sanders - Thembi

Miles Davis - Early electric era: Jack Johnson Sessions, ect.

Then there is some cuts by Yusef Lateef, Sun Ra, and Mulatu Astatqe

I am particular enjoy more of the more drone like compositions and with unconventional percussive instruments.

Any recommended of mention favorite records of this time period would be helpful.
TAGGED:

Comments

• martina navrotilova's private raer

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Charlie Munro - Eastern Horizons form australia. 2 pressings, one of 44, one on Phillips...

peace.

• Charlie Munro - Eastern Horizons form australia. 2 pressings, one of 44, one on Phillips...

And supposedly a reissue, but I sure as hell ain't seen it !

• Are we talking Japanese or Indian-influenced?

• Indian ...
    Although if you have some Asian references that use various cymbal oriented percussion that would be dope as well ...

• theres this one record called spontaneous sound that is basically some santa monica hippie with a gamelan set. prolly turns up around here more than anywhere else.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Charlie Munro - Eastern Horizons form australia. 2 pressings, one of 44, one on Phillips...

And supposedly a reissue, but I sure as hell ain't seen it !

Votary is about to release a CD reissue of this.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Djanger Bali by Tony Scott is a longtime favorite of mine.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Indian ...
    Although if you have some Asian references that use various cymbal oriented percussion that would be dope as well ...

Bill Plummer and Joe Harriot spring to mind on the Indian tip. Not sure about artists with Far Eastern influences.

• Maybe someone would help share some knowledge ...

I am looking for suggested listening for any specific recordings or artist who may have flirted with unconventional instrumentation during their career. I have been specifically attracted to

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda, Universal Consciouness, Ptah, The El Daoud
    Pharoah Sanders - Thembi
    Miles Davis - Early electric era: Jack Johnson Sessions, ect.

Then there is some cuts by Yusef Lateef, Sun Ra, and Mulatu Astatqe

I am particular enjoy more of the more drone like compositions and with unconventional percussive instruments. Any recommended of mention favorite records of this time period would be helpful.

Joe Henderson - Elements, in Japan...

The Salah Ragab reissue Lps - Latest 45 of unreleased ish ' Salah Ragab - A Tribute to Sun Ra' is heavy

As mentioned - Tony Scott - djanger bali, Joe Harriott - Indo-jazz suite, Hum Dono etc

Duke Ellington - Far East Suite

Dorothy Ashby - The rubaiyat

Amancio D'silva - Pick up previosuly unreleased 'Konkan Dance', also pressed on vinyl by Qbico. 'What Maria Sees' track is killer. Other LPs, Integration or Dream Sequence.

You know about Pharoah, have you got 'Tauhid' - I think you'd like 'Upper Egypt' track.

Take it you know Lateef's 'Eastern Sounds', 'Prayer to the East', etc

Gabor Szabo - Jazz Raga

Ananda Shankar - 'And his Music', Sa Re Ga Machan' etc

I'm sure there's plenty more that will come to mind...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    John Berberian

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    al salamm on strata east

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Randy Weston- Khepera

More an exploration of the connections between ancient African and ancient Chinese cultures than music that sounds Far Eastern. Great CD.

• Tjaders "Several Shades of Jade" and "Breeze from the East"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

can't find an image, but his Eastern Moods LP as well.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I like this one by John Handy and Ali Akbar Khan:

also...

Charlie Mariano has a few featuring Indian musicians. He is also featured on some of the more jazz oriented recordings by Rabih Abou Khalil.

• Jazz meets india on saba
    djanger bali on saba
    "Curried jazz" (another UK exploito LP that's actually quite good)
    Kanguru - "dreaming" (aussie eastern-influenced psych/folk?)
    Manglesdorff - "Now jazz ramwong"
    I'd throw the Jef Gilsons on palm into the pile here... it's influenced by madagascar musicians, not indian, but still has a lot of the unusual arrangements and instrumentation that you dig. There's a comp of his music out called "zao" on a small label from a small island.

• collin walcott - cloud dance
    collin walcott - grazing dreams
    don cherry - brown rice
    don cherry - eternal now
    codona - 1
    '' - 2
    '' - 3

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Manglesdorff - "Now jazz ramwong"

I really like that record.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    plenty of Krautrock records that have both jazz and Indian elements, including:

that last one very "out"... reminds me of the first Anthony Braxton record crossed with... I dunno, Nurse with Wound or something.

• I like this one, also it contains the OG of everyone's favorite dollar bin sitar funk jam (Shocking Blue "Acka Raga")

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The Hideo Shiraki + 3 Koto Girls LP on Saba is pretty good, too.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Ravi Shankar and Alla Rakha did a jazzed out album with some dudes form the US. I'm not sure of the name, but it should be pretty easy to find.

Oregon was a mildly ok jazz band with a tabla player.

Francisco Lupica put out an album called cosmic Beam Experience that got some recent trashing on the Strut.

Tabla beat science is usually a good look, though a bit heavy handed for me (Zakir Hussein related).

The Bill Laswelle remix of Bitches Brewreally lets the tabla shine.

Definitely check out Jan Garbarek's work with Ustad Zakir Hussein on ECM--John McLaughlin also (though I am not familiar with this material).

The man Zakir also played with Mickey Hart on Planet Drum recordings, which should be right up your alley: super drum orchestra.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ravi Shankar and Alla Rakha did a jazzed out album with some dudes form the US. I'm not sure of the name, but it should be pretty easy to find.

Yeah, it's actually pretty good. "Improvisations" on World Pacific.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Somewhat eastern influenced, I've been digging on it recently: