6. Mister Ten Percent - Trimvirat
7. Make up Your mind - The Alan Bown
8. Keef Hartley Band - The Dansette Kid
9. C'thulu thlu - Caravan
10. Maverick Woman Blues - Moloch
TAGGED:

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    10 prog tracks loved by hip-hop kids according to Uncut magazine.

i think it's crazy.

• what about CAN?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i would name a bunch of other records before those
    although i have been feeling the gentle giant stuff lately

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    i would name a bunch of other records before those
    although i have been feeling the gentle giant stuff lately
    I remember scoring 7 or 8 gentle giant records at one in a thrift a couple of years ago. I was way psyched based ont he covers, got home and was not so psyched.

Vitamin C definitely needs ot be on that list because 95% of breakers are all over that.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    No babe ruth?

- spidey

• and no McDonald & Giles

that Alan Bown set LP is fucking great though -- the track 'wanted man' is a killer!!

progressive breakbeats are the best!!!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Can are strictly Kraut Rock and not prog I guess. Babe Ruth I'm not really sure about either. Strange list, I wonder why they stuck to prog.

• what about CAN?
    Can is Kraut rock!!!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    10 prog tracks loved by hip-hop kids according to Uncut magazine.

Not so sure about this list...whadaya think?

1. Alucard Gentle Giant
    2. There's no vibrations but wait Edgar Broughton band
    3. I Think It's.... The Rock Workshop
    4. Three Sisters Affinity
    5. The 4 Horsemen Aphrodites Child
    6. Mister Ten Percent Trimvirat
    7. Make up Your mind The Alan Bown
    8. Keef Hartley Band The Dansette Kid
    9. C'thulu thlu Caravan
    10. Maverick Woman Blues Moloch

i love "keef hartley band" by the dansette kid...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    what about CAN?
    Can is Kraut rock!!!

what is kraut rock? i only know the one called soul rock.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That list is absolutely absurd, as is the idea behind it.

First songs to pop into my head were def Babe Ruth and Vitamin C.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    can somebody post a good definition of prog on here? i wouldnt consider can, mcdonald and giles, or babe ruth proggy at all...but cant really define what i do see as prog. its usually just got that SOUND to it.

• Moloch was an excellent hard-rock band from Memphis. What's so "prog" about 'em?

Or is prog just a catchall for any white rock from back in the day? And I thought "soul-rock" was bad!

"progressive rock" is a pretty broad term and thats how I apply it, some may feel differently but...

where I'm coming from a lot of mainstream 70s rock was proggy, and there's plenty of underground stuff too... space rock and kraut are both subgenres as far as I'm concerned.

extended soloing, unconventional instruments, songs that don't conform to the patterns associated with rock before then, often long tunes...

Moloch was an excellent hard-rock band from Memphis. What's so "prog" about 'em?

Or is prog just a catchall for any white rock from back in the day? And I thought "soul-rock" was bad!

I've only heard Moloch once but 'prog' definitely didn't come to mind, this list is apparently straight out of somebody's private mind garden.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    can somebody post a good definition of prog on here? i wouldnt consider can, mcdonald and giles, or babe ruth proggy at all...but cant really define what i do see as prog. its usually just got that SOUND to it.

Prog is one of those iffy genres. There are groups who are deffinately prog; King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull and Emerson, Lake and Palmer (ELP) But an actual deffinition is more tricky.

Wiki sais

"Prog is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s, principally from psychedelic rock, blues rock, folk rock and jazz fusion, but also from a wide-ranging tendency in rock music at the time to experiment with drawing inspiration from ever more diverse influences."

I'd add its mainly a British/European form of rock, that's heavy on the noodling and theatrics, with pretensions towards jazz and classical music.

It eventually disappeared completely up its own ass, and was kicked to death by Punk.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    prog and fusion kind of inhabit the same place in my mind. both claim experimental, but end up sounding academic. i really like some italian prog.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    prog and fusion kind of inhabit the same place in my mind. both claim experimental, but end up sounding academic. i really like some italian prog.

Yer, but fusions more jazz noodles, prog is more classical noodles.

Italian prog is dope, they have that dark brooding thing down.

I have this theory that it's a definate theme in 'white boy' music, generally the appropiated kind. That 'they' will take the musical forms origins, and academically stretch it to its technical boundries, but at the same time remove the heart and soul, eventually killing it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I have this theory that it's a definate theme in 'white boy' music, generally the appropiated kind. That 'they' will take the musical forms origins, and academically stretch it to its technical boundries, but at the same time remove the heart and soul, eventually killing it.

Wow that sure is an interesting way to look at it. Reminds me of most guitarists I meet when they say the blues they mean Eric Clapton and Eddie van halen. I don't think it's isolated to white boys, look at hip hop in 2007.

- spidey

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Kraut Rock is German Prog Rock!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Kraut Rock is German Prog Rock!

is it that bad?

i wish it was more like psych.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've never heard any of those tracks

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    what about CAN?

but seriously.
    i was at a record convention in southern germany two years ago and found a copy of tago mago. i wasn't so sure about the condition, so i let the dealer play it on his system. a hip hop kid that was going through stuff nearby went crazy and immediately asked if he could buy the record. fortunately, the dealer was very honest and told him that i had been there first. although the hip hop kid would have paid more money for the LP than me. he didn't know can before. but totally loved the sound.

• everyone post up your own 'prog tracks loved by hip hop kids' ...

how about:
    MICHAEL POLNAREFF - "voyages"

JON LORD - "organ"

CZERWONE GITARY - "rytm ziemi"

ILLES - "nem erdekel, amit mondsz"

not sure if i'm a "hip-hop kid" but...

Master Builder......Gong
    love is how y make it......Gong
    stumble.....soft machine
    festival.....dungen
    willow tree.....circulus
    cthulu thulu.....caravan

....I'd wouldn't call Can prog...prog to me usually means british/canterbury/fantasy/stone henge type business. That's just my own understanding of it.

• related to this ...... i did a 15 minute mix yesterday for a cd that a night my mate runs and i dj at will be giving out free . my one was "around the world in 15 minutes with phillius prog".

>>>get it here

here's the tracklist:
    KONCZ ZSUZSA - "visz a vonat" (Hungary)
    SUPERSISTER - "judy goes on holiday" (Netherlands)
    BO HANSSON - "wandering" (Sweden)
    CAN - "im so green" (Germany)
    JON LORD - "organ" (England)
    MARTIN CIRCUS - "poeme" (France)
    SAN UL LIM - "a2" (Korea)
    GOBLIN - "snip snap" (Italy)
    CZERWONE GITARY - "coda" (Poland)
    POOKAH - "ha ha i can fly" (USA)
    APHRODITE'S CHILD - "the beast" (Greece)

i know that there may be some quibbling as to whats prog and whats not but its just a bit fo fun ...

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    what about c.a. quintet?

• what about c.a. quintet?

psych, not prog.

i know some of yall are getting tired of people trying to tell you what is and what aint, but ive heard the c.a. quintet, and it dont look right putting them next to rick wakeman and ELP.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This whole thread is...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    mainly a British/European form of rock, that's heavy on the noodling and theatrics, with pretensions towards jazz and classical music.
    fusions more jazz noodles, prog is more classical noodles.
    prog to me usually means british/canterbury/fantasy/stone henge type business.

This about sums it up for me too. Add to this an affinity for "quirky" concepts, often with references to (British) literature.
    "Musical Interpretations Of The Prose Of John St. Hithersmither", flying teapots, armadillo tanks, all of that mess.