country funk

paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Recently i've discovered Anna Black and went mad again on Tony Joe White, Bobbie Gentry, Jeanie C. Riley, Country Got Soul comps, etcdo you have any country funk nuggets to share?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Lloyd Green "Tell Ya What" 45 on Chart....best country funk tune I have ever heard.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Lloyd Green "Tell Ya What" 45 on Chart....best country funk tune I have ever heard.

any mp3 of the aforementioned tracks ?

BTW, the title track from the "Gator" ost sounds a mix of country and a hint of funk beat...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Are we speaking of early Charlie Daniels when he was on Kama Sutra, the "You Can Tell The World" 45, or something else?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    There is an LP called Country Funk that's good.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There is an LP called Country Funk that's good.

Right, but it's not funk and barely country.

More like folk rock.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

To hear Lloyd Green's "Tell Ya What," try this:
    http://www.chartrecords.net/chs1024.htm

With all due respect to Hook-Up, that song didn't really impress me as "funky." Yeah, it's got a stiff little "Harper Valley PTA" backbeat, but then so did a lot of Nixon-era country records. But you can judge for yourself.

Recently i've discovered Anna Black and went mad again on Tony Joe White, Bobbie Gentry, Jeanie C. Riley, Country Got Soul comps, etc
    do you have any country funk nuggets to share?

Get a good Joe South or Jerry Reed best-of. And see if you can track down Jim Ford's Harlan County (White Whale) or Kelly Gordon's Defunked (Capitol).

Also gotta ride for Dale Hawkins' Wildcat Tamer CD from the late nineties. He had a similar LP on Bell in 1969 called L.A., Memphis & Tyler, Texas, but I don't like that one as much - Wildcat is way superior.

With all due respect to Hook-Up, that song didn't really impress me as "funky." Yeah, it's got a stiff little "Harper Valley PTA" backbeat, but then so did a lot of Nixon-era country records. But you can judge for yourself.

stiff? its a great in-the-pocket head nodder of a drum beat, nothing stiff about it. Pedal-steel through a wah-wah?....'tis very funky.

stiff? its a great in-the-pocket head nodder of a drum beat, nothing stiff about it. Pedal-steel through a wah-wah?....'tis very funky.

I'll listen again later (for some reason the soundclip won't come through at work) - you generally have cool tastes and I was on the lookout for this tune myself after reading your posts about this record, but somehow I wasn't feelin' it. But you gotta give it up to Green for the pedal-steel/wah-wah combo!!

Which reminds me, ever hear "Moose Trot" by Harlow Wilcox & the Oakies on Plantation? It's a semi-rockabilly instrumental from 1969 that has wah-wah banjo! Can't quite call this funk either, but if you like Tony Joe White or Joe South, you'd dig this. It's the flip side of Wilcox's hit single, "Groovy Grubworm" (which is full-on Link Wray guitar boogie). And I think it appears on the Grubworm album as well.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    BTW, the title track from the "Gator" ost sounds a mix of country and a hint of funk beat...

This was on a Dusty Fingers right?

I'll listen again later (for some reason the soundclip won't come through at work) - you generally have cool tastes and I was on the lookout for this tune myself after reading your posts about this record, but somehow I wasn't feelin' it. But you gotta give it up to Green for the pedal-steel/wah-wah combo!!

Which reminds me, ever hear "Moose Trot" by Harlow Wilcox & the Oakies on Plantation? It's a semi-rockabilly instrumental from 1969 that has wah-wah banjo! Can't quite call this funk either, but if you like Tony Joe White or Joe South, you'd dig this. It's the flip side of Wilcox's hit single, "Groovy Grubworm" (which is full-on Link Wray guitar boogie). And I think it appears on the Grubworm album as well.
    its one of my old play-out 45s, so it is buried in a box somehwere in my record room, if I can find it with any kind swiftness, ill post it. I thought I had it digitized, but realized that was on my old laptop that went kaput a few years ago. It also has that electric sitar sound in it like you find on the Peggy Scott/Jo Jo Benson tunes...probably the same dude playing it....

Ill check for that "Moose Trot"...we have this huge box of country 45s at the shop that havent been gone through...I think I recall a bunch of Plantation sides, but they are probably all jeanie C Riley records...

its one of my old play-out 45s, so it is buried in a box somehwere in my record room, if I can find it with any kind swiftness, ill post it. I thought I had it digitized, but realized that was on my old laptop that went kaput a few years ago. It also has that electric sitar sound in it like you find on the Peggy Scott/Jo Jo Benson tunes...probably the same dude playing it....

Jerry Kennedy, I think.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Maybe Area Code 615 or Travis Wammack, also a 45 is Larry Steele doing Watermelon Man on Air Stream

• Terry Reid on his 'River' album gets kinda close, more southern folk-funk than country funk, but some pretty hot numbers.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Area Code 615

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    In fact I haven't listened to Black Grass for years, must dig it out. & it is admittedly a one tracker.

As mentioned, you can't go anywhere down the country funk route without a stop off here:

Southern Comfort

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Joe Goldmark! "Twine Time" is the shit! There??s even a mp3 of it on Waxidermy somewhere..

- J

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Joe Goldmark! "Twine Time" is the shit! There??s even a mp3 of it on Waxidermy somewhere..

- J

http://www.waxidermy.com/audio/goldmark_twinetime.mp3

STR8 PIMPIN'

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    CRINK! CRINK! CRINK!