Comments

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Oh yes and that one too!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

95-97 Potrait of a Serial Chiller/Do the Math/All Balls Don't Bounce
    98-01 Declassified/Biggest of the Baddest/South Central Thynk Tank

Harvey,

It just occurred to me that you're the one who can answer this...

Which Rifleman or CVE song/CD does the following line come from:

"You know, just chillin' with my friends!"

That line has been a catchphrase of mine and M*rs' for years and neither of us can remember what song it's from!

Herm

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Probably this one:

Other possibilities:

Illmatic
    Midnight Marauders
    Resurrection
    36 Chambers
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Infamous
    Hard to Earn

All records that I played incessantly as a teenager, in a way that I don't play any record anymore.

I'm confused.

You're constantly giving dudes shit for firmly grasping That Real Schitt??? yet the only shit that you admit to playing the shit out of just so happens to be That Real Schitt??? - the very same shit you constantly shit on - yet for some reason or another the post-Harlem World shit that you claim to be THEE hottest shit obviously ain't really shit to you since apparently no shit that came out after '95/'96 was worth a shit?

Wow. Ain't THAT some shit?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Probably this one:

Other possibilities:

Illmatic
    Midnight Marauders
    Resurrection
    36 Chambers
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Infamous
    Hard to Earn

All records that I played incessantly as a teenager, in a way that I don't play any record anymore.

Take off hard to earn, and add Ready to die and the shining and you basicly have my highschool soundtrack.

I wish i could still get into records this much.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm not incredulous at the idea of somebody saying "You know, here's an underappreciated gem--I really like this album".

I am incredulous when somebody tells me that they've listened to Rough House Surivivors more than any other rap album ever.

Yeah, I don't know what that is. But cmon, late period De La and CoFlow? They may not be your faves but I know you know cats were diggin on that shit, regardless of how much you're amazed by that fact.

That's a slightly different issue. I'm not incredulous at the idea of Funcrusher being somebody's most listened-to rap album--I know that there are plenty of such people out there--but I do wonder what is wrong with those people.

It's a cool album for what it is--but it's not something to center your personal rap universe around.

Faux = disconnected from the late '90s?

I'm saying mang. I know people who center their personal rap universe around Sage Francis and dudes like that. "Funcrusher Plus" feels positively populist in comparison.

This wasn't the case when I was younger (read: for most of the '90s) but at this point, I'm pretty sure "Illmatic" is the album I've given the most spin, end to end. To me, this has aged well in ways that a lot of albums I used to like when I was younger have not (#1 on that list, right now at least, is Brand Nubian's "One For All").

And what I find most amazing about "Illmatic" is that Nas STILL sounds like a fucking genius on here in ways that leave me stunned. (It also helps that I conveniently forget some of the output he's had since).

Prior to "Illmatic," most played was probably "Stunts, Blunts and Hip-Hop" but I don't really fuck with this much at all these days.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Run DMC-S/T
    LL Cool J-Radio
    UTFO-Skeezer Pleezer
    Beastie Boys- the 1st Three
    ATCQ-the first Three
    Eric B and Rakim-Paid In Full
    EPMD-Strictly Business
    Schooly D-Saturday Night
    Gang Star-Hard to Earn
    BDP-Criminal Minded/By Any Means...
    Wu Tang- 36 Chambers
    Common Sense-Resurrection
    Pete Rock and Cl Smooth-The Main Ingredient
    Eazy E-EZ Duz It
    NWA-Straight Outta Compton
    Ice T-Power
    Ice Cube-1st three
    De La-first four
    PE-1st Three
    Main Source-Breaking Atoms
    Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride
    Mantronix-1st 2
    Just Ice-Cold Gettin Dumg
    Big Daddy Kane-1st 2

See this is what im not seein. You listened to Skeezer Pleezer as much as 36 Chambers?

Straight Outta Compton got the same spin as Cold Getting "DUMG"?

Couldnt u sift through the list and see what rises to the top.

You listened to all 3 PE albums equally? Yeah Right.

Dudes wanna cover all the bases........

Maybe it's a grammar thing, like CPeetz didn't notice that the original question was about which "rap album" vs. "albums." Or maybe the term "most" doesn't register.

Run DMC-S/T
    LL Cool J-Radio
    UTFO-Skeezer Pleezer
    ATCQ-the first Three
    EPMD-Strictly Business
    Schooly D-Saturday Night
    Gang Star-Hard to Earn
    Wu Tang- 36 Chambers
    Eazy E-EZ Duz It
    Ice T-Power
    Ice Cube-1st three
    De La-first four
    PE-1st Three
    Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride
    Mantronix-1st 2
    Big Daddy Kane-1st 2

See this is what im not seein. You listened to Skeezer Pleezer as much as 36 Chambers?

Or maybe the term "most" doesn't register.

No doubt.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Aside from everything else mentioned in this thread so far

Im going with:

I was wondering if anyone would mention Quasimoto, Im almost inclined to consder it somewhat of a mixtape rather than an rap album, but definitely one of my favs.

I also wore out a booted tape of Boxcar Sessions and a few Roots and Redman tapes as well.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I gotta say:

Coming in at an EXTREMELY CLOSE 2nd place is:

These LPs changed my life and how I approached producing.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I brought Doggystyle in my discman to school with me every day in 7th grade. I basically brought no other cds. For a year.

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    Maybe I missed it....but nobody has mentioned Too Short "Life is..." !?!?

That was a standard issue up here in the northwest. One of the few guys that used to roll through here on the regular.

I remember it like yesterday...Too Short/Ice Cube/Geto Boys & Gorillas in the Mist at Civic Stadium.

The memories.

Otheres include most of the usual suspects:

Wu Tang Clan-36 Chambers
    Nas-Illmatic (I've owned 3 of the CDs, 2 of the LPs and 2 of the tapes in my lifetime.)
    Coup-Genocide and Juice
    BDP-Criminal Minded
    Tribe-Low End Theory
    Gang Starr-Hard to Earn
    Geto Boys-We Can't Be Stopped

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

To add to the discussion, how did your "Most Listened to Rap Album" address you musical desires? How did it hit "the spot," so to speak? For me, "Straight Out the Jungle" appealed to my sensibilities because it was so musical and multilayered. It was , and since I was trained musically, its complexity hit the spot. "Critical Beatdown" touched my percussion nerve, since it was so funky and rhythmic. I play drums, so the programming and the music fulfilled my preference for funk and basslines, more than any LP up to that date. Marley Marl came real close to hitting this nerve at the level that Ultramag did with "Goin' Off" by Biz Markie.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

To add to the discussion, how did your "Most Listened to Rap Album" address you musical desires? How did it hit "the spot," so to speak? For me, "Straight Out the Jungle" appealed to my sensibilities because it was so musical and multilayered. It was , and since I was trained musical, its complexity hit the spot. "Critical Beatdown" touched my percussion nerve, since it was so funky and rhythmic. I play drums, so the programming and the music fulfilled my preference for funk and basslines, more than an LP up to that date.
    Good question.

S8 OTJungle for me was a return to classic breakbeats w/ a "dirty" production sound that was different to what was out at the time. Most of the Radio stuff was gettin polished and singles that Red Alert played sounded "dirty". Baby Bam seemed to capture a "feel" that dudes like Marley didnt have.
    On top of that....The imagery of them as Urban Safari dudes was a new idea to the game. In terms of visual style and concept dudes were separating themselves from the pack. The Zulu connection was also a throwback to earlier times when being associated w/ the Nation was like a status symbol.
    The messages within the rhymes were cool as well. Shit just really came together for me on this album.
    Mike G & Baby Bam arent super "lyrical", but for me they had a "feel"(plain ole rockin the mic).
    Compared to what Run-Dmc were doing at the time, this was pure uncut Hip Hop. It's the root of the "Native Tongue" Sound that is still being cloned.

Dont get me started on Critical Beatdown.

Run DMC-S/T
    LL Cool J-Radio
    UTFO-Skeezer Pleezer
    ATCQ-the first Three
    EPMD-Strictly Business
    Schooly D-Saturday Night
    Gang Star-Hard to Earn
    Wu Tang- 36 Chambers
    Eazy E-EZ Duz It
    Ice T-Power
    Ice Cube-1st three
    De La-first four
    PE-1st Three
    Pharcyde-Bizarre Ride
    Mantronix-1st 2
    Big Daddy Kane-1st 2

I suppose I could have edited that list, obviously some of those got listened to more than others.
    It sort of morphed into records I really listened to over and over and over again.
    Sorry I didn't answer the question to your liking guy.
    You act like I said something about your mom.
    Take a chill pill.

You act like I said something about your mom.

My Mom is Hip Hop

Maybe it's a grammar thing, like CPeetz didn't notice that the original question was about which "rap album" vs. "albums." Or maybe the term "most" doesn't register.

Every album on my long ass list is a "rap album"?
    And yeah I'm not familiar with the term "most"....
    I guess you need to be a professor or a blogger or something to figure that one out.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    nas - illmatic
    pete rock & cl smooth - main ingredient
    juggaknotz - clear blue skies

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts

Bumped this while blunted many a time.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

91-92 Low End Theory/Mecca and the Soul Brother/Wolf in Sheep's Clothing/Step in the Arena/
    93 Inner City Griots/The Chronic/Enta da Stage/Enter the Wu Tang/Bizarre Ride II tha Pharcyde/21 and Over

cotdamn these were good years!
    (damn i'm old...)

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    probably should add It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, By All Means Necessary by Boogie Down Productions, Long Live the Kane, Critical Beatdown, Goin' Off by Biz Markie,Straight Out the Jungle,The Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders, Strictly Business, De La Soul Is Dead, A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing,Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop,Daily Operation,Breaking Atoms,Reel to Reel by Grand Puba,Whut? Thee Album,The Sun Rises in the East, Enter the Wu-Tang , Enta da Stage by Black Moon, and The Chronic. 

R.I.P. the hip-hop full-length. Cant think of many clasics since the late 90's.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Nation Of Millions
    Illmatic
    Daily Operation

Probably in this order.

That's a long list brotha I hope Mr. Literal and his sidekick don't launch an attack.

R.I.F.

Asshurt For Dayz.

That's a long list brotha I hope Mr. Literal and his sidekick don't launch an attack.

R.I.F.

???
    Sorry I don't know all the internet acronyms.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I was wondering if anyone would mention Quasimoto, Im almost inclined to consder it somewhat of a mixtape rather than an rap album, but definitely one of my favs.

I also wore out a booted tape of Boxcar Sessions and a few Roots and Redman tapes as well.

i'll ride for the Unseen all day. listening to it on the solid state portable right motherfuckin now. it gets you clean like a public washing machine. dont know why youd consider it a mixtape??!?! its a concept album extraordinaire

i love saafir but i dont bang with boxcar sessions

probably should add It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, By All Means Necessary by Boogie Down Productions, Long Live the Kane, Critical Beatdown, Goin' Off by Biz Markie,Straight Out the Jungle,The Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders, Strictly Business, De La Soul Is Dead, A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing,Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop,Daily Operation,Breaking Atoms,Reel to Reel by Grand Puba,Whut? Thee Album,The Sun Rises in the East, Enter the Wu-Tang , Enta da Stage by Black Moon, and The Chronic.

R.I.P. the hip-hop full-length. Cant think of many clasics since the late 90's.

Asshurt For Dayz.

So....
    You start capping on me, I retort, therefore I'm asshurt.
    That makes no sense.
    Seems to me ya'll came off asshurt when your panties got twisted
    over the proper number of albums to include in your "most listened"
    category.
    I'm not mad at anyone, just poking a bit of fun.