Really Good Not-So Common Records Under $20

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
This thread is dedicated to really good records that don't turn up that often, and are usually priced/sold at under 20 bucks when they do. Terry Plumeri - He Who Lives In Many PlacesRecorded in '71, Herbie Hancock on Rhodes, Eric Gravatt on drums, and I forget who else. Such a good electric jazz record with great compositions, arrangements, musicians, and solos. Turns up in LA quite often, usually for under $10...Mal Waldron - The Call Waldron plays electric piano (his only such recording, I believe), along with electric bass, organ, and drums. From 1971 on the Japo, which I believe is a subsidiary of ECM. Obviously "Bitches Brew" inspired, with some lovely textures, tones, and solos on both of the side-long tracks. Boring letters on a white backdrop cover, really good music.Howard Robers - Equinox Express ElevatorReleased on ABC/Impulse in 1975, the music was recorded in '72/'73, and has a real cool psychedelic jazz feel to it throughout. Not really sought after for whatever reason, but a great record nonetheless.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    amina claudine myers - song for mother e
    c.a. quintet - trip thru hell (2nd issue)
    cecil mcbee - enja release
    ultimate spinach - behold & see
    wolfgang dauner - output

• Very true. This turns up all the time in LA, usually for under 10 bucks. I'd say the same about Pete Jolly's "Seasons", which I've found 4-5 copies of last year all for under 10 bucks, but ebay prices seem to differ.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

I have this at home and have never once listened to it. Guess I will now.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Very true. This turns up all the time in LA, usually for under 10 bucks. I'd say the same about Pete Jolly's "Seasons", which I've found 4-5 copies of last year all for under 10 bucks, but ebay prices seem to differ.

Hmm, I just started looking for this (Penuma) after reading The House That Trane Built recently. Thought it might generally go for more... good to know!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    id have to say

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    I like this mid-70's trio album by Joe Sample recorded in Japan. Reminds me of Ahmad Jamals Impulse period. Never seen a copy priced over $10.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Antonio Carlos & Jocafi

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Antonio Carlos & Jocafi

yes under $20 but plase to add $18 for shipping.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

all of The Fourth Way's albums..

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    never seen ss heads speak bout this one...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

High-C banger from WAY back.....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

High-C banger from WAY back.....
    Yes. 'Charity' is the jam.

Someone posted The Call by Mal Waldron earlier. That record ain't leaving my collection.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    All the Joe Pass lps and all the LA Four lps.

Score by the LA 4 is killer.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Maybe people look at that cover and think Blue Ash were just another early-seventies hard-rock band, but in reality this Youngstown, OH band brought the power-pop as well as the Raspberries or Big Star.[/b]

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    I got lucky with this album and found it for $1 at a garage store

damn fine music and one of the illest covers ever IMO

You know, this thread is saturated with jazz records as it is and I didn't wanna list another one, but Freddy Robinson's Off The Cuff album on Enterprise is a lost classic. Half soul-blues, half soul-jazz, worth hearing and always cheap, even if it isn't super common. I like his Enterprise records better than his earlier World Pacific Jazz records, which were basically soulful elevator music.

true. perfect example.
    its got that ill bassline. was it rivers lament?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    soulful elevator music.

It's always been the frustrating thing
    with Monk Higgins' production work.
    I seek it out because he has a very lo-fi,
    almost live sounding style of recording, but
    he also leans towards heavy-handed strings
    that sound tacked on to the tracks, or some
    flowery horn work.

true. perfect example.
    its got that ill bassline. was it rivers lament?

"River's Invitation?"

Yeah, it does have a cool bassline, but there's other good stuff on that LP besides that...

There was also At The Drive-In, also on Enterprise, and you could call it uncommon-but-cheap...but I don't like that one as much. This time, the blues and the jazz appear on different sides. I like the blues side better. The jazz side is like a dull knife that just ain't cuttin'.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd have to say one of the kings of this category (though I don't know if it meets the "really good" criteria) is Al Hirt's "Soul in the Horn."

Seriously, I've never seen this in the field but it's not like it's a really $$$ record.

I'd have to say one of the kings of this category (though I don't know if it meets the "really good" criteria) is Al Hirt's "Soul in the Horn."

Seriously, I've never seen this in the field but it's not like it's a really $$$ record.

I found a single from this ("Honey Pot") that actually got airplay on a Chicago soul station when it was released in 1967.

It sounds like Hugh Masekela & the Tijuana Brass. Think I'll pass.

Any Tony Joe White album.

They're not exactly all over the place - not even the one with "Polk Salad Annie" - but can usually be had reasonably when they turn up.

"Harlem Hendoo" is a pretty cool tune whether you
    are familiar with the De La Soul or not, though.
    The "Soul of the Horn" LP is pretty decent, I mean, as far
    as Al Hirt albums go - it has a cool vibe through alot of the
    tunes, but HH is the only one that really stands out ...
    ... or stands up to repeat play.

haha I can't remember if this is the "recommend" or
    "over-rated" thread; I was ready to defend Tony Joe White -
    "He is not over-rated!"

haha I can't remember if this is the "recommend" or
    "over-rated" thread; I was ready to defend Tony Joe White -
    "He is not over-rated!"

I just saw him live this weekend and he killed it. Yes, he did "Polk Salad Annie," but with an extended psychedelic wah-wah guitar ending...

wah-wah

Yeah, that's his schtick.