Who is your current favorite female mc?

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I just wanted to see what female mc everyone is feeling right now?

Comments

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Trina. Can't hate on Shawna or Jackie-O, either (especially her verse on Take Me Back with Ghost)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

None really, but Foxy could maybe bring it if Jay is ghostwriting for her again and exec. produces her album. I actually thought her last record from '01 was pretty good--definitely her best--and she's put out stuff in the interim that I liked, such as the Neptunes-produced "Magnetic" about two years ago.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What was Foxy's last record? "I Can't?"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Gangsta Boo.

What was Foxy's last record? "I Can't?"

Nah, that sh!t was horrible, as was everything else on Chyna Doll where she was doing her Kim impression.

I think the last record was called Broken Silence--it had "BK Anthem" and "Oh Yeah" on it.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Medusa:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

None really, but Foxy could maybe bring it if Jay is ghostwriting for her again and exec. produces her album. I actually thought her last record from '01 was pretty good--definitely her best--and she's put out stuff in the interim that I liked, such as the Neptunes-produced "Magnetic" about two years ago.

Foxy for sure, but I haven't heard her on anything recent...but I like Shawna too.
    I was rooting for Mystic, but they just keep re-releasing that same record. Would like to get behind something new by her.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    No one is blowing my socks off, but I'm liking Remy and Ms. Dynamite a lot right now.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    Gloria Velez

Foxy for sure, but I haven't heard her on anything recent...but I like Shawna too.

I was rooting for Mystic, but they just keep re-releasing that same record. Would like to get behind something new by her.

There is a recent 112 single with her on it and Jay in a Puffyesque role doing ad libs like "Once again it's on!" in the background... very dated sounding and real disappointing if it's indicative of the direction he intends to take Def Jam in, but I have heard Foxxy sounding good on some mixtape sh!t recently.

Basically, they need to let her come kind of rugged and not have her doing R&B collabs or "I Need a Dude" type songs, and hopefully Jay recognizes that.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    the ONLY female mc i was ever really a fan of was Rah Digga

No one is blowing my socks off, but I'm liking Remy and Ms. Dynamite a lot right now.

i would love for ms dynamite to blow my socks off

Ever?

What about MC Lyte--to me, the greatest female of all time?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

obligatory Jean Grae mention right hurr.

she kinda went off the deep end since "Taco Day" on that Mr. Len jernt. ever since then I feel like erry verse I hear from her sounds like it was ghostwritten by Cage.

but she still can flow.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    it's really a shame how many great female emcees just sit on the shelves of record labels. Every time a rapper comes up in this thread (Foxy, Digga, Medusa, even Trina to an extent) the first thing that pops in my mind is "damn... i wish they'd put some new joints out from her).

The rap world is really sexist, huh?

• the ONLY female mc i was ever really a fan of was Rah Digga

Ever?

Lauryn Hill gets my vote for female GOAT, and Mia X was baaaaaaddd too

Ever?

Mia X gets respect, but Lauryn is craaaazy over-rated and only sounds "good" because she appeared alongside two of the worst MCs to ever get a deal, IMO.

Ever?

i dunno ...i enjoyed lyte as a rock...but she just didn't do it for me...although Lauryn Hill was a beast on The Score

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Ever?

I still like Latifah as much as Lyte...hey, just the way I hear it.

And Edpowers, speaking of socks, were you that guy who had to have his socks on the head of the bed??

Ever?

I feel like listening to Rah Digga more than MC Lyte, though I think Lyte has (had?) more skills.

• the ONLY female mc i was ever really a fan of was Rah Digga

Ever?

Mia X gets respect, but Lauryn is craaaazy over-rated and only sounds "good" because she appeared alongside two of the worst MCs to ever get a deal, IMO.

Three wurds:

How[/b]
    Many[/b]
    Mics[/b]

Lauryn's verse on that still blows me away

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Bahamadia?

Heather B?

That chick from that Negro Leagues Baseball song?

Rah Digga?

the white chick from BEP?

Ever?

Three wurds:

How[/b]
    Many[/b]
    Mics[/b]

Lauryn's verse on that still blows me away

Claiming that you got a new style, your atempts are futile, oooh child/
    You're puerile, brain waves are sterile...

That sh!t is wack.

Forty words: If Lauryn was a dude and she put down the same lyrics as she did on The Score on a solo record, rather than alongside those two cornballs, then her name would never, ever come up in these conversations.

• it's really a shame how many great female emcees just sit on the shelves of record labels. Every time a rapper comes up in this thread (Foxy, Digga, Medusa, even Trina to an extent) the first thing that pops in my mind is "damn... i wish they'd put some new joints out from her).

The rap world is really sexist, huh?

medusa has been dropping what is for her a ton oh shit lately.

as for my favs, its medusa & t-love (if you count a year old album as now)

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    Whyte Chocolate, as heard on Killer Mike's For The No No.

And Edpowers, speaking of socks, were you that guy who had to have his socks on the head of the bed??

Whyte Chocolate, as heard on Killer Mike's For The No No.

Isn't she sort of more of a scripper than an MC?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Broken Silence was a good album but there's somethiing about Foxy that I just never really liked, almost as though she speaks with an accent like she's from the land of Marblesinthemouthia.

I see here all the time around my way. Her and her man (Baby Sham) shop at Natural Land Grocery Store on Flatbush. She once screamed at him horribly because he went and got the wrong brand of sushi.

Bahamadia? - damn - how could I forget? She's good live, too.[/b]

Heather B? - yea, but not up there up there[/b]

That chick from that Negro Leagues Baseball song? - that's What?What? in Natural Resources - aka Miss Jean Grae[/b]

Rah Digga? - yes[/b]

the white chick from BEP? - no[/b]

And Lady of Rage. She was nice.