Crash = worst (recent) film ever?

Comments

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i think any time great art comes around there are always going to be haters.

i liked crash and i'm not going to stand around on some message board defending it's merits.

i do have to say, at the end, i thought was unrealistic, when the thai refugee was standing in awe of this big video store. i've been to thailand, they are poor, but not that poor.

now you want a hackneyed treatment of race, go see american history x.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i liked crash and i'm not going to stand around on some message board defending it's merits.

i do have to say, at the end, i thought was unrealistic, when the thai refugee was standing in awe of this big video store. i've been to thailand, they are poor, but not that poor.

You could have summarized this post with "I liked it and don't care if you guys didn't, nyah nyah nyah."

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    it`s a good hollywood movie -> it`s an okay movie. nothing more.
    never expect this kind of movies to reflect whats actually going on.

speaking about movies: how u feel about lynchs new one? "inland empire"..

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i dont have anything to add about crash, but i liked running scared :P (actually thought it was an example of "good" style>substance) carry on

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

You could have summarized this post with "I liked it and don't care if you guys didn't, nyah nyah nyah."

But then we wouldn't have had the chance to enjoy him referring to it as "great art".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

But then we wouldn't have had the chance to enjoy him referring to it as "great art".

Yeah, seriously. I almost did a spit take on that. "Crash" is a lot of things - "great" and "art" not being two of them. More like "derivative hackneyed liberal humanist pablum". I've lost any respect or interest for anything paul haggis has or will ever d- especially as a writer. Dude makes Tarantino read like Baldwin.

Man, I miss Altman. I'll even settle for John Sayles (even if his post-Lone Star output has been "meh").

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    pedagologically.

Um...

So yeah, I think it would've been more valuable to show ANYTHING other than Crash. Do The Right Thing, shit, even Human Tornado would've been better at illustrating some stuff you're sounding like you wanted to touch on.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    I liked the movie. Don't know about best or any of the awards it got but I don't watch movies for awards. It was just good cuz every race got something bad and good done for them so it was like ohhh.

Anyways many many movies with awards suck mad ass many are toooo boring.

pedagologically.

Um...

So yeah, I think it would've been more valuable to show ANYTHING other than Crash. Do The Right Thing, shit, even Human Tornado would've been better at illustrating some stuff you're sounding like you wanted to touch on.

[eye-rolling sarcasm]Thanks Non. Next time I teach this class, I'll be sure to contact you for help with my syllabus.[/eye-roling sarcasm]

I'm hardly defending "Crash" but jesus fucking christ people - it's a "teachable" film on a variety of levels that I've already noted. I think the film is hot, steaming pile of shit, but the very fact that practically ALL my students like it suggests to me that it's actually important to teach and talk about, if for no other reason, then try to probe WHY they like it so much.

I liked the movie. Don't know about best or any of the awards it got but I don't watch movies for awards. It was just good cuz every race got something bad and good done for them so it was like ohhh.

Anyways many many movies with awards suck mad ass many are toooo boring.

Yeah, uh, ok, thanks for that.

I've yet to see someone actually explain (in this thread) what they liked about the film in any cogent way. The best I've heard is, "it's not the worst film I ever saw" which isn't exactly a rousing endorsement.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    (...) the very fact that practically ALL my students like it suggests to me that it's actually important to teach and talk about (...)

It suggests to me that ALL students were taught to think the same long before they got to your class.

(...) the very fact that practically ALL my students like it suggests to me that it's actually important to teach and talk about (...)

It suggests to me that ALL students were taught to think the same long before they got to your class.

Of course but that makes it all the more relevant to talk about films like "Crash" (whether I actually use that film or not). One reason why I think my kids like the film so much is because it actually talks about racism in a clear way. Of course, it's a totally ass backwards way, but I think just the novelty of a film about race is what sparks their interest and imagination.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

You showing reinforces the idea, to students like this, that this movie is "valuable" cuz Dr. W. showed it. I'd suggest watching movies before showing them in a class. You're there to teach and being paid to do so, not setting up classes to learn lessons for your own benefit. If lessons are learned by happenstance, fine. If you want to learn about the educational process, go back to school and get an Education degree.

And yes, I did get up on the wrong side of the bed.

Whatever man.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You showing reinforces the idea, to students like this, that this movie is "valuable" cuz Dr. W. showed it. I'd suggest watching movies before showing them in a class. You're there to teach and being paid to do so, not setting up classes to learn lessons for your own benefit. If lessons are learned by happenstance, fine. If you want to learn about the educational process, go back to school and get an Education degree.

Note: if it's not already clear, I hadn't seen this flick until earlier this week and now am screening it again for my Friday class. It is PAINFUL to have to watch this again. I feel like I'm being punished for something I didn't know I did.

thing is - I'd be inclined to screen it again in this same class (though I won't teach it until spring 08 at the soonest) except I'd move it to the first class...but alas, it will never become easier to watch.

thing is - I'd be inclined to screen it again in this same class (though I won't teach it until spring 08 at the soonest) except I'd move it to the first class...but alas, it will never become easier to watch.

No doubt.

I didnt see the movie and dont plan to, so I cant properly respond.

Is there a contemporary movie that places "race" at the center of its idea?
    And successfully does so? Bamboozeled adresses it through many filters, but Im sure youve had a somewhat hard time trying to find a recent flick for the kids that reflects what your trying to convey. There are many movies out there in the last 20 years where "race" is the backdrop/extra character.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I am absolutely dumbstuck that anyone could think Crash was good.

then again, we live in a country that elected George Bush( only once, but still...)

"10 billion flies can't be wrong, shit tastes good"

---

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Comedy.

Professor Doctor The Non.

I am absolutely dumbstuck that anyone could think Crash was good.

then again, we live in a country that elected George Bush( only once, but still...)

"10 billion flies can't be wrong, shit tastes good"

---

It goes to show how out of touch Americans are w/ the subject.
    Feed 'em a TV dinner example of some real shit and they'll think its gourmet.

• The majority of you are unbearably white.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Comedy.

this whole thread is NAGL

from 'I liked this movie, but usually movies that win awards are maaad boring'

to

daverecords calling Crash 'great art' ( at least this guy is consistent in having bad taste straight across the board - from tepid funk terds to movies)

The majority of you are unbearably white.

The unbearable whiteness of being?

The majority of you are unbearably white.

May we take it that you think this film is a masterwork, then?

So what exactly are you teaching? I don't see what can be learned from this movie in anyway.

So what exactly are you teaching? I don't see what can be learned from this movie in anyway.

Why do you dudes struggle with the idea that something doesn't have to be per se "good" to be of use in the classroom?

I too was puzzled when in my first semester of college a professor revealed that he did not think several of the pieces he had assigned the class to read were very good, but I got over it pretty quickly. Critical thought is one of the cornerstones of a liberal education.

Critical thought is one of the cornerstones of a liberal education.

[Dolo Yeung] Feeble moron, please. As if critical thought would ever step foot in the same room as a liberal. [/Dolo Yeung]

I know teaching material doesn't have to be good but I just don't see what there is to learn with that movie.

I know teaching material doesn't have to be good but I just don't see what there is to learn with that movie.

I believe the general idea is that it allows ODub to then ask, "what's wrong with this depiction of racial interaction in modern America?"