plaese school me on Country Funk (RR)

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be playing between 5 bands tomorrow night, just trying to keep the crowd around. Their myspace pages list their styles as: Progressive Alternative / Surf / Pop Punk Acoustic / Bluegrass / Folk Bluegrass / Punk / Blues Bluegrass / Jam Band / AcousticSo, I'm thinking some Country Funk would be the best to keep me and the crowd happy. Unfortunately, I know very little that falls into this category. Bad Bascomb - Black Grass is the epitome of what I'm after.[/b]any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    How about this one...

• You need some Tony Joe White. Pick up BLACK AND WHITE and play side one.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    and pick up both Country Got Soul comps

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You need some Tony Joe White. Pick up BLACK AND WHITE and play side one.

I concur.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    How about this one...
    that looks like it might work ...my hommie has a different one by them I've heard I think

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'll be playing between 5 bands tomorrow night, just trying to keep the crowd around. Their myspace pages list their styles as:
    Progressive
    Alternative / Surf / Pop Punk
    Acoustic / Bluegrass / Folk
    Bluegrass / Punk / Blues
    Bluegrass / Jam Band / Acoustic

So, I'm thinking some Country Funk would be the best to keep me and the crowd happy. Unfortunately, I know very little that falls into this category. Bad Bascomb - Black Grass is the epitome of what I'm after.[/b]

any help is appreciated.

I'll bet all the records that could be described as "country funk" could probably be counted on both hands, but you'd probably need to get a good Jerry Reed best-of for "Amos Moses" and "Ko-Ko Joe."

• Betty Harris - shoorah?
    WAR - heartbeat?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I'll bet all the records that could be described as "country funk" could probably be counted on both hands, but you'd probably need to get a good Jerry Reed best-of for "Amos Moses" and "Ko-Ko Joe."

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the finest of all country funk, IMO, is Lloyd Green "Tell Ya What" 45 on Chart...first of all it enters the proper funk category by being a 45, its instrumental, it has pedal steel pushed through a wah-wah, electric sitar and was released in 1969...accept no imitators.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Lee Hazelwood's got a funk song, the name of which escapes me now.

• Wilbur Basbomb - Black Grass

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts

explosion's "jockey ride" on gold cup ,funky slide gee-tar for days

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    butterfield blues band has some tunes that could be considered.

Area Code 615's other LP is good but doesnt have a good jam that hits quite like stone fox chase
    i think its on UBB if thats your type of thang

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    here is this
    embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/divmp3.swf" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="340" height="60" name="divmp3" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" flashVars="myFile=http://athena.divshare.com/athena2/files/2007/05/03/557141/14_Stone_Fox_Chase.mp3&myTitle=14_Stone_Fox_Chase...&myLink=http://www.divshare.com/download/557141-ed9" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/

• this one is pretty dope...

• artie white - gimme some of yours (kind of)
    Junior Bennett - catfish gumbo

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i think i just broke it

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I've got about seven of their albums and wonder which ones you're talking about...the Sometimes I Just Feel Like Smiling LP has some mildly funky moments, but in general I hear hardly any country influence. (Same with Betty Wright's "Shoorah Shoorah").

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

I've got about seven of their albums and wonder which ones you're talking about...the Sometimes I Just Feel Like Smiling LP has some mildly funky moments, but in general I hear hardly any country influence. (Same with Betty Wright's "Shoorah Shoorah").
    "all in a day" off of keep on moving, is what came to mind when i suggested it
    maybe my idea of country funk is off. please to educate

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    other possibilities:

Little Feat
    Teagarden and Van Winkle

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    JERRY REED

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    although not funk....Dillards "Roots and Branches" has some ridiculously loud drums..it as if the drummer was slippin' the engineer a few bucks here and there...the album is mellow, but lots of loud head noddin drums on it...great album. Bluegrass licks, fuzz, the aforementioned head-nodin' drums, beach boys/byrds harmonizing...good spring time listening.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    this thread looks wacky, wha happen?

theres an actual band called "Country Funk" on polydor, the album is self titled. its not awesome, but theres a few tracks which may help your quest.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

FONKY

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

explosion's "jockey ride" on gold cup ,funky slide gee-tar for days

You got an mp3 of this per chance?

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    how about that track of shadows funky skunk mix

great drums, with vocals singing about mean mother trucker of a girl

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    also,

gary atkinson - wanderin soul 45

should fit perfect here

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Devin The Dude "Nothin' To Roll With"

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    iused to have this canadian record called Upcountry funk...had a break on it