SMOKERSTRUT

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
All things smoking related (tabacco/weed). How much you smoke, your brand, did you quit (if so how), stories, do you smoke a pipe, do you chew, anything smoking related goes just be honest.I'm an "on again, off again" smoker, lately I've been smoking a pack on the weekend and that's it for the week. Not really brand loyal as long as it's "light" regular size (can't get down with Kingsize/100's) I'd like to quit all together but I do enjoy it when partying/relaxing on the weekend. My father's side of the family are super heavy smokers, my aunt passed away years ago due to smoking related cancer.I took a trip to Maui a few months ago and they just passed a "no public smoking" law, so basically you can't smoke anywhere (large fine). I think it's a good thing, I found myself smoking way less when I was there, kind of wish the laws here were that harsh, it would help people quit imo.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm two and a half years without a single puff. Before that I smoked off and on since '95. I tell anyone who wants to quit that the key is knowing that you're quitting for good. Most people who've been regular smokers cannot just have a cigarette occasionally in social situations. You might be able to pull it off for a little while, but eventually it will likely pull you back in.

I have a zero tolerance policy with myself. I told myself I can never have even a drag off a cigarette again, ever. And because of that I know that I am a non-smoker for good.

When I did smoke, it was always Camel lights.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    American Spirit Yellow a pack erry other day.

I started smoking in college. My high school years were spent w/ me as an anti-tobacco jock.

Mary Jane and I have a sporadic relationship. My head days are over. MJ is so last century.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Down here in Richmond, Va. tobacco smoking is pretty common. I???ve been smoking up a storm lately (herb and tobacy). I???m going to quit....some day. I???m into the organic American Spirits lately.

...and in the Commonwealth you can pretty much smoke in most places.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Been off the mary jane for a few months now...definately a good move to clear the mind. Never touched a cigarette, mainly for health reasons, having seen people get addicted, but also cause living in the bay area smokers are looked upon as the scum of the planet. Potheads are just your next door neighbor though.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I have a zero tolerance policy with myself. I told myself I can never have even a drag off a cigarette again, ever. And because of that I know that I am a non-smoker for good.

I admire your will power sir.

So what was the hardest part for you quitting? Did you howk up that nasty lung butter (ewww)? Does food taste better now? I've heard that if you quit it takes 5-6 years for your lungs to return to normal, great news for those considering quitting, it's never to late. My uncle quit after about 30+ years of smoking.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I smoked cigs for 9 years, started when I was 14 or 15... Finally quit & haven't had one since 2001. It was real tough. I had to stay out of situations where people smoked and insist that friends did not smoke around me for a good 6 months to a year. I've also been a gum chewer (sugarless not nicotine) ever since.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Been smoke-free for about 2 years now. Quiting was easier than it could've been due to the fact that I was never a HEAVY smoker. At my heaviest, I smoked 1/2 pack a day...a more realistic average was 3-4 cigs a day.

I started out a Dunhill fanatic (the green menthols were my shit), then went on to American Spirit light blues. Shortly before quiting, I was on Am Spirit Light Yellows, which is pretty much like puffing air.

SG

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    never smoked tobacco and been off of weed since 02
    but call anything with the number 20 in it "twamp"
    first lick of ice cream, sip of limonaide, bite of cinnamon toast crunch, etc. is green hit.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

So what was the hardest part for you quitting?

To be honest, it really wasn't too difficult. I'd gotten the news from two different doctors that my blood pressure was a little higher than it should be. My work and living situations were pretty stressful at the time, but I couldn't easily do anything about either at the time. So quitting smoking was an obvious necessity. Having that health concern as a reason for quitting made a huge difference. Also, I quit cold turkey while I had a nasty cold. I already felt like shit, so the withdrawal symptoms were less noticeable.

That's a trick I recommend to all when quitting anything. Do it when you're sick and already miserable.

That's a trick I recommend to all when quitting anything. Do it when you're sick and already miserable.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Yes I can co cosign this,, but really I know it sounds corny but you really have to want to quit. Otherwise you will find some reason to start back up.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    A good friend of mine is a manager at Starbucks and she was telling me yesterday that one of the employees was sick and working the till, he was coughing super loud/nasty right in front of the customers, when she told him to get off the floor he then went outside for a DART!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Down here in Richmond, Va. tobacco smoking is pretty common. I???ve been smoking up a storm lately (herb and tobacy). I???m going to quit....some day. I???m into the organic American Spirits lately.

I used to work at the Phillip Morris plant in Richmond. They have these huge dust collectors that suck up tobacco dust in the air (and any other particles). The dust is sent to a collection room and hauled off. The dust is turned into paste, paste is dried in sheets and then cut up to form filler tobacco for use in cheap cigarettes (everything but the Marlboros).

So if you're going to smoke, I highly suggest avoiding the cheap brands.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    And an interesting observation I made:

at the Phillip Morris plant, almost everybody smokes (they even have vending machines full of cigarettes where you can swipe your badge to get free packs).

At the corporate headquarters (other side of town) almost NOBODY smokes.

I used to work at the Phillip Morris plant in Richmond. They have these huge dust collectors that suck up tobacco dust in the air (and any other particles). The dust is sent to a collection room and hauled off. The dust is turned into paste, paste is dried in sheets and then cut up to form filler tobacco for use in cheap cigarettes (everything but the Marlboros).

haha! yeah, that's what they taste like.

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

yulp...

Oh I smoked for a good 5-6 years.

Finally I had an epiphany when complaining about having bronchitis for the second time in 2 months... I could hardly breathe, felt like total shit, cigarettes tasted like shit, and yet I was still lighting up. It just occured to me: "what the fuck are you doing? you need to quit this dumb shit." And that was that.

About 2 years later I had 1 cigarette. Relapsed for a good year. So right... definitely has to be a cold turkey thing with me. Haven't had a cigarette this millenium.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm sick and it's been a week. I'm quitting. Next time, something bad happens, I'm gonna do like 50 pushups on the spot or something.

• For a while was smoking ganja on the daily. Had mad laughs and paranoia, got friends paranoid and whatnaut thinking everyone around me was out to get me and shit. Used to roll to the same burger spot practically every day until one day I could taste the pickles way too much and it bugged the shit outta me so that spot got retired and got another taco stand instead. I wish I was a good storyteller cuz I have plenty but don't know how to say em.

I remember first time I bought a pipe I couldn't stop staring at it in amazement at what it could do. Second and the end all for me was a bubbler...man with cold water you never felt it hit you until you coughed out a lung. I loved smoking weed for a while and tried to figure out as much as I could about it even making my own double chamber bong with cold and hot water to clean and cool the smoke before it hit lung.

Then after a while it would just get me tired as fuck in like 30-45 minutes so I gave it up. Every now and then I'll bring out good ole Bubbly for a session but it ain't as fun anymore.

Fuck it I'll tell the story of my first time smoking. I was at my friends house and did not know the feeling of being high until I started seeing things in half-speed and I knew it was there. Well I had a lot of things do do like 8 hours later and I was trippin. My friend kept moving his head all of a sudden like he just got punched and I kept telling him what the fucks wrong with your head, he kept telling me nothing but he was completely trippin me out. At this point my other friend calls me and starts making me trip out by telling me some stories of some junkies that got messed up on weed for life...I know this is a lie now but try telling me that then...somehow I started thinking I was never gonna come down and I started saying "man this is like those commercials, 'You were gonna take your sister to the beach, but you got high...'" After I think about it I start crying all scared like a dumbass and eventually I start coming down after about 3 hours and still would get relapses of the high the reaminder of the day plus at night until the next morning. That dank had me tooo lifted.

Best way I coulda told the story.

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    I smoke Champion tobacco.
    The yellow packet. I roll my own and I'm really fucking good at it.
    Indoor smoking's being banned here in Melbourne in June or July.
    It's a good thing. But it'll be strange not being able to sit with a mate, a jug of beer and a pouch of tobacco and waste an afternoon.

I smoke pot when I have it or when I'm out with mates. There's a drought here in Melbourne at the moment though. By drought I mean for pot, not water.
    Normally just joints, mixed with tobacco about 50-50.

After returning from New Zealand, I introduced my mates to "Spots" (or hot knives). They are fucking brilliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spots

They're best for when you're on some sort of other drug and starting to come down.

Not by any means, but quite

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Normally just joints, mixed with tobacco about 50-50.

Yeah, uh, does somebody please want to explain this one to me??!
    Seems like everywhere I go outside the US, the only way people smoke their weed is by rolling it with tobacco.

WHY???

Ewwww.

I HATE cigarettes. Shits are just plain nasty.
    Seriously, WHY would you want to go and waste good weed by mixing it with tobacco like that??

I do not understand it.

Plaese to help explain....

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    I really don't know why.
    I can only speak for my group of friends, but smoking pot is a pretty social thing, we'll have, I dunno, maybe 10 mixed joints passed around in a night. Instead of smoking straight and being fucked straight away, it's more of a social thing.

But yeah, I get your point, it doesn't make much sense. Most of us are smokers though, so it doesn't worry anyone with the tobacco thing.

It could be that most of our group are uni students, so being thrifty with pot is a must....

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I'm two and a half years without a single puff. Before that I smoked off and on since '95. I tell anyone who wants to quit that the key is knowing that you're quitting for good. Most people who've been regular smokers cannot just have a cigarette occasionally in social situations. You might be able to pull it off for a little while, but eventually it will likely pull you back in.

When I did smoke, it was always Camel lights.

Same here!! I smoked Marlboro or Camel.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I used to smoke the green menthol packs of American Spirit. 5-10 cigs a day from about 95 till last year. Tried rolling tobacco to cut costs but I ended up only smoking more, and that shit is so much worse for you. I quit last July ahd have had precisely one and a half cigarettes since then. Both of them felt great and tasted nasty haha.

Agree with everything said, you have to want to do it, 0 tolerance policy, quit it when sick, etc.

I smoke a lot of weed to compensate, but not really more than I used to. Maybe more frequently. I have a little cig-shaped one hitter that I pack with me and usually keeps me cool and craving-free, and it's not like I walk around completely wasted... just a nice buzz. I started eating a lot and food tastes better soooo.... I put on 20-30 pounds in a few months. Beer also goes straight to my gut now, whereas when I was smoking I could process it a bit more easily. Joined a gym a few weeks ago so now I'm back on track.

Just like twoply my doctor told me I had high blood pressure. I was leaving the stability of a well-paying job and opening my own business, moving in with my girlfriend, and my life was nothing but stress... so something had to give. Almost a year out I still get cravings though, you just have to keep focused.

Off to the gym...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Almost a year out I still get cravings though, you just have to keep focused.

Its been about 5 years for me and I still get cravings sometimes. I doubt they will ever completely go away.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Weed and tobacco together makes it burn slower, therefore better if you??re a larger crowd. Also my stash would be GONE way too quick if I didn??t mix. Can??t afford an ounce a day either, now can I?

The trick is to toast the tobacco before you roll it. That way, it??s nice and doesn??t taste much of tobacco at all.

I??m a smoker, and ever since I moved to the UK I??m on the Golden Virginia rolling tobaco, with filters. I love it. I would smoke yellow American Spirits, but I can??t seem to find them anywhere here. I get a load of packs whenever I visit the Mainland. Definitely my favourite brand of straight cigarettes.

I??m from Norway, and since we??re not members of the EU, a lot of brands refuse to print the warning labels in Norwegian, and therefore they won??t get imported, which sort of limits the selection. I used to smoke Petter??e??s Mild a lot, but after being on the Virginia golden for a while I think they just don??t taste that good anymore.

When I lived in China i smoked a lot of Chunghwas. They??re the most expensive brand over there and are considered "Exclusive". A friend of mine sent me a pack as a gift, and only then did I notice those fuckers have 15mg of tar in them! Made me think a little more about smoking a pack of them in a single night.

-J