VERIZON MADE ME A GOOD OFFER. SHOULD I SWITCH?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So, a while back I switched over to vonage because Verizon was too expensive, too rude, and basically told me to go fuck myself.I went from about $190 for phone + DSL (business rate) to about $150 for a fax line, phone line, and the same DSL. I made up the contract breakage fee in just a few months.Now Verizon just called me saying they can give me everything I have now for about $100 before taxes. Should I do it??? I hate verizon

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Sure you might save some dough, but will be you able to live with yourself? Will you be able to sleep at night, knowing that you're lining the pockets of an evil corporation?

Which reminds me, I think my Comcast bill is due.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am saying, that is $30 a month worth of records beer that I could buy.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah, the question is, does that "extra" $30/mo buy you peace of mind knowing that you're not giving your loot to Verison? I don't hear them promising you better customer service or anything, seems like they're just trying to steal you back. I'm sure their people are on the phone making better offers to ex-customers all day. But, if they're still planning to treat you like ish, it may not be worth it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    if its the same offer i received, it's only valid for a year. Who knows how much they'll decide to charge you once they've got you hooked.

Well, I already give them my money (for DSL) - it's just a question of how much.

And they did offer me better customer service, to their credit.

if its the same offer i received, it's only valid for a year. Who knows how much they'll decide to charge you once they've got you hooked.

I specifically asked about this and the guy said that it was forever.

However, last time they did that when I disputed a charge they asked me to provide the name and extension of the person who offered me the discount... probably what they always do to stiffs like me.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I'm just curious, but what does that actually mean? Do they have a special number to call and speak with the folks who really know what they're doing?

on their part.

I'm just curious, but what does that actually mean? Do they have a special number to call and speak with the folks who really know what they're doing?

Haha. Whatever it is, the guy was adamant in explaining that verizon had made a "360 degree turn" in their prices and customer service. I think a lot of people have been switching.

Which makes me think I shouldn't switch back.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I specifically asked about this and the guy said that it was forever.

However, last time they did that when I disputed a charge they asked me to provide the name and extension of the person who offered me the discount... probably what they always do to stiffs like me.

yeah I love that little move... as if I keep a record of customer service reps I talk to. Don't trust it unless you have it in writing. I got the same offer in the mail and I read the fine print.. it says it's only valid for one year and then you pay full price.

Nothing is forever, except corporate greed. I'm pretty sure we're stuck with that.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Is this price for a land line or cellular?

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    So, a while back I switched over to vonage because Verizon was too expensive, too rude, and basically told me to go fuck myself.

I went from about $190 for phone + DSL (business rate) to about $150 for a fax line, phone line, and the same DSL. I made up the contract breakage fee in just a few months.

Now Verizon just called me saying they can give me everything I have now for about $100 before taxes. Should I do it??? I hate verizon

Verizon are Vampires! And the customer service. They must all wake up with disgust. They dont want to help you, they simply dont give a fuck about u. And if you ever have to go to the verizon center to return some shit like a remote control. Forget it. Its like the motor vehicle and City court had a fuckin child and spat out a verizon service center. I wont go into this story. Still upsets me.

I live in a two family house. We moved in first had our dsl, phone and all other good stuff hooked up. The neighbors upstairs moved in ordered an identical package, technician dude had to come into our backyard since we had access to it, climb the pole, hooked up some shit and bounced. That afternoon I get home and all our shit is out! Called them up and they told me they can come but the next available day is like 9 days away and on a day that I get I need to take off from work (and not get paid since im a contractor) and this woman I had on the phone. Forget it. Like I smacked her baby. Wife came home heard the news (paralegal to be) and she just chewed the shit out of these people. We had someone come onsite the very next evening They like to catch you with sweet deals but it ends up tasting like shit.

Side note. Thanks for this

Haha. Whatever it is, the guy was adamant in explaining that verizon had made a "360 degree turn" in their prices and customer service. I think a lot of people have been switching.

Which makes me think I shouldn't switch back.

Phone companies are getting desperate to keep your business now that a lot of them are merging. Cingular/AT&T, Sprint/Nextel and probably others I don't know about. Sprint/Nextel called my company out of the blue and offered us a discount that saved us $200 a month and gave us two free phones (walkie-talkie service only).

I've been with Verizon cellular for over a year and have had no problems.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    the guy was adamant in explaining that verizon had made a "360 degree turn" in their prices and customer service. I think a lot of people have been switching.

exactly, they are tricking you with the 'salespeak'....360 degrees, meaning exactly the same place they are now (i.e. same shitty service).

DEMAND A 180 DEGREE TURN!!!!!

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Haha. Whatever it is, the guy was adamant in explaining that verizon had made a "360 degree turn"[/b] in their prices and customer service.

Perhaps the dude was trying to warn you subtly that not a damn thing's changed .

edit: haha, too slow

land line dude

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    These are the clowns that decided to block ALL incoming mail from outside the USA to avoid spam. Without telling anyone at either end. This is one of the most stupid things I've ever witnessed.

(From 2005)
    "US ISP Verizon is persisting with a controversial policy of blocking email sent from Europe. Since 22 December, mail servers at verizon.net have been configured not to accept connections from Europe by default.

Verizon is blocking ranges of IP addresses belonging to British and European ISPs (the IP space from RIPE, APNIC, and more) in a misguided attempt to reduce spam. Domains are only unblocked following complaints, with Europeans effectively treated as guilty till proven innocent.

Verizon's original line was that it "only blocks spam messages on an individual basis, and not based on geography" but a customer services rep told Wired that it was blacklisting email from Europe in response to spam coming from the region.

Paul Wood, chief information analyst at email security firm MessageLabs, said it took Verizon two days to whitelist the IP addresses of its European messaging servers from the time it first complained its international users were having problems sending email to customers of the US ISP.

El Reg still remains blocked at the time of writing. That means we've been unable to deliver Reg newsletters to readers who signed up to receive them via Verizon accounts. At the time of writing Verizon has not responded to our requests for comment.

Verizon media relations manager Ells Edwards told Wired that he didn't know when the ISP would lift its blockade. "Normally these things abate in a matter of days," Edwards said.

Verizon's three million DSL customers waiting for emails from Europe were advised to use alternative forms of communication. "If it's really important you might want to make a phone call," he said.

You might want to switch to an ISP that is not run by FUCKING MORONS too. It wasn't just Europe, it was basically anything non-US. Caused fucking havoc and cost some big bu$ine$$e$ no end of grief. I speak from personal experience becuase I work in a big company's email messaging team and had to sort this shit out daily for some time.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Don't risk it, son

• DO IT!

Fuck Verizon but 50 bucks a month is a good amount of money. Risky but can't be THAT bad.

It's not really 50. Taxes will cut that almost in half.

• not a big deal then. dont change...waste of time if problems rise again.

land line dude

I get my DSL for about $30 a month (that's after taxes), Vonage for like $20 I think and then eFax for about $17. DSL is through SBC and I'm not sure you can get that rate at a business.

land line dude

I get my DSL for about $30 a month (that's after taxes), Vonage for like $20 I think and then eFax for about $17. DSL is through SBC and I'm not sure you can get that rate at a business.

Right - you can't get those rates as a business.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hows verizon's celly service been with anyone who has them? im probably going to switch from cingular pretty soon so i can get a new phone and dont know if i should go with them or tmobile

• Options
    Might as well switch to something, Vonage is just about finished anyway.

Plaese to elaborate...

Plaese to elaborate...

http://www.appscout.com/2007/03/the_end_of_vonage.php

• Options

Plaese to elaborate...

That's it in a nutshell. Vonage has already said they'll be able to put in work-arounds to keep those services up and running, but if the judge had not considered hearing the appeal Vonage customers would have lost the ability to make calls to landlines a week or so ago. So you'd have all of a sudden only been able to make calls to either other VOIP customers, or strictly Vonage customers (one or the other, I'm not sure). With no notice either.

I think Morgan Stanley or Merrill Lynch downgraded the shares to "sell" this week and said Vonage will be bankrupt within 2 years.

Sprint is waiting to sue them too.

wow. I will be calling Verizon and eating some crow later this afternoon...

HI SWEEN!

• Options

HI SWEEN!

HI JONNY!!!

Eat the crow outside, it's nice out.

HI SWEEN!

HI JONNY!!!

Eat the crow outside, it's nice out.

tell me about it. I've got the door open, breeze flowing... which is good as I've been cleaning up moldy records for the last couple days