Post up to 5 Funky 45s you're feelin'

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited April 2018 in Music Talk
I realize that this has been done in the past, but these threads are always helpful so let's do it again. Everyone who has at least one funk 45 please participate

The idea is simple.

List up to 5 of your funky 45 tunes, (not top 5, just 5 randoms and maybe just 5 on your decks right now), the label they're on, and a description of the tunes or groups if you like. Big labels, small labels, whatever. Just good music. No imaginary/unreleased stuff. There's a Mingering Mike thread for such things. Let's go!

1-Harvey and the Phenomenals - Soul and Sunshine (Da-Wood)

One of my fav funk tunes. Listen to that sax!

2-James Brown - Lickin Stick (King)

Wow. Always on rotation at the Ice Cave.

3-Tiaras - Right On (The New Sound By Revere Music

)Played this out recently, and I just can't get enough of it. Driving, fast, and heavy sister funk. Wish I knew if it was from my area or not

4-Interpretations - Blow Your Mind (Jubilee)

A recent aquisition that's been getting heavy play on my decks. It really did blow my mind the first time I heard it.......rough and raw

5-Derek David - The Morning After (Pagan)

Mr. David was the group leader of DC's Young Senators during the mid 1960s, (around the time they recorded "7th and T") but he left to persue a solo career before they signed to Innovation. "The Morning After" is one of my favorite DC tunes, and I think it's still sitting on the turntable at home.
TAGGED:

Comments

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    5 I'm rocking too much lately:

Betty Adams - Make It Real
    Jack Hammer - Color Combination
    Fact Of Life - It's Not What ya Got
    Ironing Board Sam - Original Funky Bell Bottoms
    the Proflics - Guts (someone please help me get an upgrade)

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    mary jane hoooper - reasons (powerpac) : ive always loved this funky guitar driven female funker out of n.o.

lido - evil ways (mdr) : cool indie of white guys(?) covering santanas track

something real - aint that cold/yes i do (mankind) : a relative cheapy of two nice instrumental uptempo tracks.

stanley lippett - freakish (fos-glo) : nice and funky and quite a sexual roundtable of freakism going on in the song.

fire & brimstone - lifes lesson/into yourself (larj) : new discovery more or less of a female funk trio(?) from stockton. dumb nice on both sides.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    These are common 45s, but have been on my turntables all the time for the last weeks:

Eddie Kendricks - Keep on truckin pt I & II (Tamla)
    => Solid tune with vibes on it. From the S/T album

VIP Connection - Please love me again/West Coast Drive (Sirocco)
    => From France I believe. The a-side is disco, but the b-side is a great downtempo funk tracks with nice rhodes playing.

Soul Vibrations - Sex Vibrations/Organ Vibrations (Apollo)
    => The b-side again. Heavy mid-70s hammond funk.

The Meters - A message from The Meters/Zony Mash (Josie)
    => A classic, needs no introduction

James Brown - I refuse to lose/Home Again (Polydor)
    => A very solid '76 track by Mr. Brown. The lyrics, the singing, the guitar line and the drums... really solid tune.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I haven't been bumping these singles LATELY, but they're still A-1 examples of this thing we call funk:

Net Wt. 14 Karat Black - "There's Gotta Be A Change" (parts one & two) (Luna)
    South Shore Commission - "Shadows" (Nickel)
    Kool & the Gang - "More Funky Stuff" (De-Lite)
    Electric Express - "It's The Real Thing" (the instrumental version, which I think is Part One) (Linco)
    Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band - "Express Yourself" (Warner Bros.)

Not judged by common/raer staus, just by whatever sounds good (and was the first to spring to mind).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    let me guess, these aren't even funk

I Want To Love You Baby - JoJo Benson and Peggy Scott
    I Can't Stand It - Brenda George
    Message from the Soul Sisters - Vicki Anderson
    Do Your Duty - Gloria Taylor
    Movin - Brass Construction

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Net Wt. 14 Karat Black "Stop Listenin'"(Luna)
    Fuzz wha goodness

Myra Barnes "Message from the Soul Sisters"(King)
    Vicki under an alias...think it has been recently re-ished

Bo Diddley "Another Sugar Daddy"(Checker)
    easily Bo's coolest funk side...the flip "Im High Again" is top shelf as well

Honey and The Bees "Love Addict"(Arctic)
    sister funk killer...so good

Sam Mosley "you got it"(M.O.C.)
    I wear this out on the regular, then put it away for a month or two, then I gotta hear it again...one of my favorite Memphis 45s...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

i need their LP in my life...

i know mosley and seleno clarke are on MOC. what else is on that label?

this is weird, I posted my list before I saw the last two above me (I had to take a call, so my post sat there a few minutes before I submitted it) then I see 14 kt. and the Myra/Vicki repped as well...great minds w/great taste think alike I suppose

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    mary jane hoooper - reasons

the impressions - this is my country
    Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio

The ones I have are a mediocre early single by Norm West (later of the Soul Children) and a novelty rockabilly thing by Murry Kellum, "Long Tall Texan" (this was a minor hit; the B-side, "I Gotta Leave This Town," is marginally better and is by a different artist altogether - I wanna say Glenn Hughes?).

this is weird, I posted my list before I saw the last two above me (I had to take a call, so my post sat there a few minutes before I submitted it) then I see 14 kt. and the Myra/Vicki repped as well...great minds w/great taste think alike I suppose

You should hear part two of the 14 Karat single I listed - they put the fuzz guitar on one speaker and the rest of the band on the other! I once played this on a college-radio funk show and somebody called in and thought our audio equipment went haywire...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Jeanie Dee- Shake a Hand on HUDD Nice slow driving sister funk

Menahan Street Band- Make the Road By Walking/Karina on Dunham New one from the Daptone family. I love where these guys are taking the funk right now. The next release is rumored to be a total facemelter.

The New Apocalypse- Stainless Soul on MTA great instro funk.

Dee Felice Trio-There Was A Time on Bethlehem Jazzy cover of the JB cut. Always thought these guys kinda soft but liking them more these days.

Rudy Rae Moore-Put Your Weight On It on Generation Sex Funk from Dolemite. This one's for the ladies.

The ones I have are a mediocre early single by Norm West (later of the Soul Children) and a novelty rockabilly thing by Murry Kellum, "Long Tall Texan" (this was a minor hit; the B-side, "I Gotta Leave This Town," is marginally better and is by a different artist altogether - I wanna say Glenn Hughes?).

it seems it was the dumping ground for Hi's "am gold" acts as well...a lot of bad rock on M.O.C., there is a 45 by Crazy Horse on M.O.C., probably not Neil Young's band(It doesnt sound like them) but a weird coincedence name wise however. About a year/year and a half ago this homeless dude brought in a box of MOC promos, I was excited to listen to them but it seemed the Mosley and Clarke were the best things soul/funk-wise. There are a couple other soul acts(the aforementioned Norm West) but my mind is drawing a blank on them right now. I need to dig that box out of the back of the shop and give them a second listen.

it seems it was the dumping ground for Hi's "am gold" acts as well...a lot of bad rock on M.O.C., there is a 45 by Crazy Horse on M.O.C., probably not Neil Young's band(It doesnt sound like them) but a weird coincedence name wise however. About a year/year and a half ago this homeless dude brought in a box of MOC promos, I was excited to listen to them but it seemed the Mosley and Clarke were the best things soul/funk-wise. There are a couple other soul acts(the aforementioned Norm West) but my mind is drawing a blank on them right now. I need to dig that box out of the back of the shop and give them a second listen.

Off the head, didn't that Southern stoner-rock band Iota have an M.O.C. single? I think one or more of Hi's blues acts (from that River Town Blues album) had 45's on that label as well.

And what's M.O.C. stand for, anyway?

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    cookie jackson - find me a lover (uptown)
    tony northern - hand down the law (ariel)
    jimmie willis - soul power (orr)
    rod king & the souls - soul feel (space)
    gene willis & the aggregation - shing-a-ling's the thing (coronado)

Off the head, didn't that Southern stoner-rock band Iota have an M.O.C. single? I think one or more of Hi's blues acts (from that River Town Blues album) had 45's on that label as well.

Besides the "love come wicked" on Hi, I think Iota has a single on another Hi subsidiary, Mach. If the label designs werent so different, I would think that the 2 different names were just a misunderstood phone order to the pressing plant/printers.

I dont know what M.O.C. stands for...if it wasnt for the Mosley and Clarke I would guess it would stand for Memphis' Other Crap. But it is probably an acronym for Mitchell, ?, and Cannon.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Jimmy McCracklin - Married Life/Love Love Love on Minit
    A cool slightly funky blues 45.

Lee Moses - Bad Girl on Musicor
    Two parts over two sides of a 45, understatedly funky soul 45 with Lee Moses killing it on the impassioned vocals.

Chuck Jackson - Candy on Scepter
    Fat funky soul with organ & nice ride cymbal action, always gets the heads nodding at gigs.

Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic on Reprise
    Nice funky drums on this classic track.

Manuel B Holcom - I Stayed Away Too Long - Diamond Jim
    Killer intro into a great funky soul song about losing your baby to another man while being away in vietnam. Flip is the instrumental, sweet.

• bluewaterbluewater 145 Posts
    5 randoms off the top of the head.

Soul Experience - Who's Lips You Been Kissing (Smoke)
    Della Reese - It Was A Very Good Year (ABC)
    Inez and Charlie Foxx - Speed Ticket (Dynamo)
    Soul Bros Inc. - Hot Pants (S.B.I)
    Curtis Blandon - Where Is My Baby (Buddah)

great records im feeling at the moment. first 3 can be heard on the musicplayer on my myspace page - here.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    Della Reese - It Was A Very Good Year (ABC)

nice one !

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

though not funk, a great[/b] crossover/northern 45 on m.o.c. is
    MELODICS[/b] - ain't that sharing my love/i never thought i'd lose you

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Midnight Movers Unltd. - Truckin (Renee)
    Nice, tough funk instrumental. Bad Ass.

Louis Chachere - The Hen (Paula)
    I finally grabbed up a copy of this one ... definitely a favorite organ funk tune. Sounds great on 45.

Fatback Band - Street Dance (Perception)
    Sort of a rediscovery in my own collection. I used to play "Let the Drums Speak" so much that this one got backburnered. renewedappreciationstrut

Magic Disco Machine - Scratchin'/Control Tower (Motown)
    A real one-two punch here. Scratchin' is one for the breakers, and Control Tower is just a nice driving funk tune. Both instrumentals.

Stand Up - Lee Fields (Daptone)
    Figured I'd mention a newer one and you just can't lose with Lee.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Lee Moses - Bad Girl on Musicor
    Two parts over two sides of a 45, understatedly funky soul 45 with Lee Moses killing it on the impassioned vocals.

This song soooo good. If you don't get this, I don't know if you get soul music.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Eddie Kendricks - Keep on truckin pt I & II (Tamla)
    => Solid tune with vibes on it. From the S/T album
    I played this at a gig the other night & had forgot how cool this 45 is. had a couple guys come look at the label to check out what it was, I thought everyone knew this track?

Kool & the Gang - "More Funky Stuff" (De-Lite)
    I found the "Kool & The Gang"/"Raw Hamburgers" 45 in a pile in my room a couple days ago & played it, so good also. Love their early stuff.

Movin - Brass Construction
    The only Brass Construction 45 I have, I like it.

Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
    Guilty pleasure is playing this 45 at gigs & just letting the drumbreak play, awesome. I like his 45 of "Enter The Dragon" as well.

How does this one compare to their "Follow The Wind" 45, that's the only one of their's I've got.

Fatback Band - Street Dance (Perception)
    Sort of a rediscovery in my own collection. I used to play "Let the Drums Speak" so much that this one got backburnered. renewedappreciationstrut
    I just starting playing some of their Spring/Polydor 45s again, some good stuff buried amongst those sides.

Stand Up - Lee Fields (Daptone)
    Figured I'd mention a newer one and you just can't lose with Lee.
    I love this Lee Fields, the first one of his I ever bought was the "Soul Dynamite"/"Ain't It Funky Now" on Soul Fire, a great 45.

How does this one compare to their "Follow The Wind" 45, that's the only one of their's I've got.

Here, have a listen. They are similar tunes rhythmically ... Truckin' is a bit tougher.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There was actually some heat in the dollar boxes at WFMU last fall,
    like this Syl Johnson-produced effort from Simtec & Wylie, for the
    lordly sum of $2:

Also from FMU, but NOT a dollar, I had been looking for this
    one for years, and a store stock copy was a real prize of the
    show for me ... killer big band funk instro of Eddie Floyd's
    "Big Bird" just slays me everytime:

This one I picked up locally just recently - everyone knows Billy Sha-Rae's
    "Do It" - but how many have this one, the even better sequel on Triple B?

There was actually some heat in the dollar ...

Great records and a fine presentation of them I might add. Thanks for the downloads.

• Stan and the Man- (do the) Football
    I'm a sucker for sports themed, and football, 45s especially. This is my favorite of all those.

Big T- Tito Ramos
    Got this from the FoS latin setsales, and this is some excellent (and cheap) latin tinged funk.

Sugar Hill - Slow Down
    Up tempo funk on the serious tip; this has been my song of the winter....

Blood Hollins- Don't Give it Up
    Saw the dudes on Fryer rapping about this, and found a cheap M copy on music stack; disco-y funk that i'm really enjoying.

Marc Aryan- La Lettre/ Liberte
    The flip is the killer; french funky spy music. SoI, this was that French thing they were playing at Soulelujah back in November. Cheesy? Yes. And, so fucking hot.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    SoI, this was that French thing they were playing at Soulelujah back in November. Cheesy? Yes. And, so fucking hot.

The one on the Belgian label? With the crazy uprock beat?

I sweat that shit. My trainspot was failing me

• yup, belgian; diques markal. think that's the one you were talking about. found it for $5 (tip off from j03r0) on ebayFrance.

• From my 45 box next to the turntables:

Parliament- Breakdown (Invictus)
    Boogalo Tramp- AC Reed (Nike)
    The Grunt- The JBs (King)
    Do the Batman- Gate Wesley and Band (Atlantic)
    Little Black Woman- Vernon Garrett (Kapp)