what do you think is the greatest decade in cinema

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited July 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
Since i dont have tv anymore, Ive been watching a lot of dvds lately and Ive been thinking about what decade produced the greatest movies. In my opinion I think the 80s produced some of the greatest movies that set the standard for the following 30 years. Movies today dont really have those great stories and plots like they used too, and it lately seems like every action/sci fi/adventure movie is just a big special effects orgy. Things like suspense, dialogue, character development, and all the other elements that make a good movie, have been somewhat comprimised by big budgets and deadlines. movies along with music today is getting more disposable. Dont get me wrong there are fantastic movies still getting made and i think the 90s is a close second for excellent movies, but i dont think they have the shelf life and staying power like they used to. Whatta you think?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Late 60's to mid/late 70's. And how old are you?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im 25. I know where you are going with that question, because movies then have more of a connection to me due to growing up with them. But I just think that cinema came into its prime then, because things like effects started to get big and the budgets grew. But you are right about the 70s putting out great movies. I will not front.

• Late 60's to mid/late 70's.

Late 60's to mid/late 70's.

thanks ms damn, that looks pretty interesting.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

im 25. I know where you are going with that question, because movies then have more of a connection to me due to growing up with them. But I just think that cinema came into its prime then, because things like effects started to get big and the budgets grew. But you are right about the 70s putting out great movies. I will not front.

So the real question is, what decade do your favorite movies fall in? I wonder what cats who study the history of cinema in its entirety declares as the most influential/prolific/Nile Basin/etc decade/era?
    Are u really just being nostalgic for your teens and not approaching the subject objectively?

The game really changed w/ the late 70's Blockbuster era - Jaws/Star Wars/Towering Inferno, which some cats might regard as a "Common Denominator" approach, which begat that 80's shit like E.T.,which I cant watch over and over again.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

with the golden 20s expressionism stuff as runner up

you honestly might be right with this. Im watching a lot of movies from the 70s and 80s, things that i was too young to absorb or didnt see when they came out, and I was impressed by a lot of them.

But you did make me think about the movies that did come out in the mid 70s and they are classics so i do have to revise my original post and say mid 70s to the late 80s, for me was when some of the greatest movies ive ever seen were made. It just seemed to me that the 80s kind of took cinema to its next level, where things like effects, editing, etc..., really changed the game. And the actors in the 70s became bigger forces in the 80s and that made them produce better works.

• Way too hard to say. I checked my IMDB ratings and the most 10's I've given are for films made in the 50's so I guess that's my pick.

you honestly might be right with this. Im watching a lot of movies from the 70s and 80s, things that i was too young to absorb or didnt see when they came out, and I was impressed by a lot of them.

But you did make me think about the movies that did come out in the mid 70s and they are classics so i do have to revise my original post and say mid 70s to the late 80s, for me was when some of the greatest movies ive ever seen were made. It just seemed to me that the 80s kind of took cinema to its next level, where things like effects, editing, etc..., really changed the game. And the actors in the 70s became bigger forces in the 80s and that made them produce better works.

Can u give some examples of 80's movies that are next level in your opinion.
    And examples of actors in the 70's that made better works in the 80's?

• Can u give some examples of 80's movies that are next level in your opinion.

when i think of 80s movies i think of ish like this

and

• Can u give some examples of 80's movies that are next level in your opinion.

I always used to overlook the 80's, but Once Upon a Time in America, Raging Bull, Do The Right Thing, Time of the Gypsies (Kusturica), Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Nostalghia (Tarkovsky), Offret (Tarkovsky), Paris Texas (Wenders)-- that's some pretty good shit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Can u give some examples of 80's movies that are next level in your opinion.

I always used to overlook the 80's, but Once Upon a Time in America, Raging Bull, Do The Right Thing, Time of the Gypsies (Kusturica), Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Nostalghia (Tarkovsky), Offret (Tarkovsky), Paris Texas (Wenders)-- that's some pretty good shit.

You'll find gems in every era, no question.

What I'd love to hear is what films since 2000 do people think will be revered in the same way we talk about specific films from the '70s and '80s.

i just wrote a huge list and my browser farted out on me but check this
    http://tripletsandus.com/80s/buymovies.htm
    classics for days. I think in the 80s a lot more movies were being made by volume compared to other decades which is a good and bad thing. More trash, but more classics were made.

on the actor front i think jack Nicholson, dustin hoffman, al pachino, deniro, harrison ford, all made their starts with classics in the 70s but cemented their careers in the 80s.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    What I'd love to hear is what films since 2000 do people think will be revered in the same way we talk about specific films from the '70s and '80s.

I'm on my way out, and I can't come up with a myriad suggestions right now, but this is definitely going to be on that list:

Pure genius. I was completely blown away the first time I saw it. Like "what the fuck just happened here?". That was the last time I got that feeling from watching a movie.

• on the actor front i think jack Nicholson, dustin hoffman, al pachino, deniro, all did their best work[/b] in the 70s

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Probably as a whole.

Best thing I've seen recently:

Maya Deren - Meshes of the Afternoon ('43)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    But I just think that cinema came into its prime then, because things like effects started to get big and the budgets grew.

I think that's pretty much what ruined American popular cinema. Nobody over twelve years old or so should actually be going to the theater for the sake of effects and I find the emphasis on them in current cinema to be downright insulting to me as a viewer. Another thing: effects-laden films generally age very poorly, as the technology quickly starts to look obsolete, and they typically have very little else to offer. But quality writing, acting and direction never get tired.

It peaked in the late sixties/early seventies, no question... I don't think anyone in Hollywood today is allowed to challenge the audience in the way that some of the biggest names were doing then.

i just wrote a huge list and my browser farted out on me but check this
    http://tripletsandus.com/80s/buymovies.htm
    classics for days. I think in the 80s a lot more movies were being made by volume compared to other decades which is a good and bad thing. More trash, but more classics were made.

on the actor front i think jack Nicholson, dustin hoffman, al pachino, deniro, harrison ford, all made their starts with classics in the 70s but cemented their careers in the 80s.

Youll find more "hits" in the 80's because of what the happened in the 70's. More money was being generated in the 80's as well.

As far as influential movies since 2000..........good question!!!

I just cant place Gladiator in the same place as Taxi Driver.

Probably as a whole.

Best thing I've seen recently:

Maya Deren - Meshes of the Afternoon ('43)

Is this the documentary about "mounting" in the Voodun culture?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Movies today dont really have those great stories and plots like they used too, and it lately seems like every action/sci fi/adventure movie is just a big special effects orgy. Things like suspense, dialogue, character development, and all the other elements that make a good movie, have been somewhat comprimised by big budgets and deadlines. movies along with music today is getting more disposable.

This is exactly why I stopped watching movies post year 2000.

When is Hitchcock's run? Film Noir Anyone?

• You'll find gems in every era, no question.

this is a good question. and kinda hard to answer

what i would pick off the top of my head

-the five obstructions
    -grizzly man
    -motorcycle diaries
    -city of god
    -traffic?
    -the fog of war
    -the notebook (shut up)
    -maybe rushmore

But I just think that cinema came into its prime then, because things like effects started to get big and the budgets grew.

I think that's pretty much what ruined American popular cinema. Nobody over twelve years old or so should actually be going to the theater for the sake of effects and I find the emphasis on them in current cinema to be downright insulting to me as a viewer. Another thing: effects-laden films generally age very poorly, as the technology quickly starts to look obsolete, and they typically have very little else to offer. But quality writing, acting and direction never get tired.

It peaked in the late sixties/early seventies, no question... I don't think anyone in Hollywood today is allowed to challenge the audience in the way that some of the biggest names were doing then.

TRUTH.

this is a good question. and kinda hard to answer
    what i would pick off the top of my head

-city of god

No doubt.

• my favorite era would prolly be the teens followed by the 20s. crazy shit made during them years.

i love the notebook.

post 2000 high impact films, i gotta go with jackass and borat with a return to the cinema of spectacle.

• It peaked in the late sixties/early seventies, no question... I don't think anyone in Hollywood today is allowed to challenge the audience in the way that some of the biggest names were doing then.

for real, it was a weird thing in the 70s. the director had so much control. there is so much shit that would never be green-lighted by the studios today. auteur directors are pretty much dead today in hollywood. i blame jaws

ok maybe auteur directors aren't completely dead in hollywood, but i just can't get with dudes like pt anderson and darren arronofsky

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    city of god

Yes. A few quick additions:

Der Untergang
    Amelie of Montmartre

jackass

The T.V. series and the highly-acclaimed Viva La Bam series on MTV are also recommended.