I Didn't Know that LP had THAT sample!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2016 in Record Collecting
Hey,How many of you big dawg diggers have been shocked (and maybe pissed) to find some other producer cat flipped a sample from an LP you ALREADY HAD, but didn't know about it? I've had a few in my days:-"Tanya"-Cal Tjader (from "Soul Sauce," freaked for "Sparklin'").-"Little Children"-Kool and the Gang (from "Open Sesame"; too fuckin' obvious, "MHB").-"After the Race"-Mandrill (from "Mandrilland"; I even sampled the 1st 2 bars of the song, you know the section with the bass guitar and lead guitar playing together that comes in right after the motorbike sounds; "Let's Get it On").-"Ballad (for My Love)"-Eddie Harris (from "Plug Me In" and "High Voltage" freaked on the outro of "Street Level" by the Beatnuts).Please add on, I'm curious to hear what ya'll name.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Some Glass Prism record I listened to the other day has Beatnuts loopheat from the Street Level record. As I was listening, I was like, I'll be damned.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Some Glass Prism record I listened to the other day has Beatnuts loopheat from the Street Level record. As I was listening, I was like, I'll be damned.

You probably had it for years, didn't you? Doesn't that suck. I've had this happen a few times over the years. Pisses me off!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    one that I remember being shocking was the Organized Konfusion sample from 'stray bullet'....i think its on the donald byrd spaces and places lp, right??

I will think of more, there have been many....

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Not sure if it's the same one, but don't forget our own Thes One
    Asprin gave me a record from them a few years ago and I remember doing the same thing when I heard it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I used to be BAD about needle droppin', versus listening to whole songs. I learned my lesson about doing that shit over the years. I let the shit play. Look at joints like "Free Speech" ("For Pete's Sake" two little bars late in the song) or "Boomp-Boomp-Chop" ("Straight Jacket").

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    how bout a great song that dusty fingers straight jacked and released from right under your nose? i've had many a joint get put on those comps.

• thats definitely happened to me many times. an embarrassing amount!

this thread makes me think of this classic:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Vincent Bell - some track off his Airport Love Theme LP was used on soundbombing II for that Bahamadia and talib joint.

I wish I could claim credit for recognizing it but it was the homie insulin1200 who made the connection

• William Bell & Mavis Staples - Strung Out. I had listened to it, liked it. Never let it play long enough to appreciate the great part about 1:30 in or more that Kanye used for the Cam - Down & Out.

• how about I DID know that had that sample.. and just had no means of getting any beats out

Like that Eddie Floyd - Got To Make a comeback 45 with the bassline in the beginning which sat on my little beat cd until of course one day RZA decided to flip it on the first masta killa album.

Hey,

Another one is: "Strollin' Blues"-Brother Jack McDuff (with the sax riff and that ensemble part with the drums at the end sampled for "The Party Groove" instrumental; Had it for decades and never knew). I definitely learned my lesson on needle droppin'. In fact, the "change" bassline part (after the trumpet part following the 1st hook) in my song "Headcrush" on my Soundclick site is the last bars of a song (freaked to fit the sequence). It's one of those endings without a fade, just a crescendo, a long rousing fill, and then cutoff on a dime.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've been surprised a couple of times by the Cool Breeze soundtrack, bought it and gave it a casual listen, later realising "Step to me" and "Apollo kids" was based on samples from it. And speaking of Glass Prism, no, it's not the same one Beatnuts and PUTS used. But I was really surprised to find there's a second PUTS song from "Questions" that samples the same GP record - sneaky chopping from mr Thes One indeed. I wouldn't have caught it!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    one of the first beats i made i used this piano sample off the carrie soundtrack....
    damn near a couple of months later i saw these dudes, the sebutones, on my tv rhyming over the exact same piano loop.
    that's when i realized i had to step up my digging game.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    oh, and more on topic
    sade- promise....
    i put that on recently, and there's that track with a little accappella intro that damn near everybody sampled. most notably large pro on it ain't hard to tell. also juggaknots, fat jon, i'm sure a lot of other people. anyway i flipped when i heard that... so obvious, yet i never noticed it before.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Some years ago I sampled WAR [I think it was the black album with the hole] and used it at 45bpm, added drums and a bass, the day after I heard the beat DJ Premier made with the same sample at the same speed [it just came out that week], the drums were similar, it was a shock.

• Lighthouse- the "da dada da da da" sample used by PB Wolf and others.

When I bought that pre-portable, I thought I was the shit, only to be cut down by when I heard it on the PB Wolf mixtape.

Some years ago I sampled WAR [I think it was the black album with the hole] and used it at 45bpm, added drums and a bass, the day after I heard the beat DJ Premier made with the same sample at the same speed [it just came out that week], the drums were similar, it was a shock.

Sounds like "Deliver the Word." Speaking of War, I'm surprised no one's sampled "Gun" from "Black Man's Burdon", or have they? I did for a home-tape (Maxell 90 minutes, baby) years ago. That bassline is nasty!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• not having coke's coming at ya lp before, got around to listening to it today, I was pleased to hear the bridge from "runaway" used for the percussion on 'Jazzie's Groove'

semi-humiliatingly, I seen it a million times, but never bothered to pick it up or listen to it before, Foreigner with the "cold as ice"---that shit's ill

• This happened to me with the Gordons War soundtrack.
    Dropped the needle on supershine #9 and caught the 'we in there' remix sample.

Completely by accident while drunk..

• this has happened to me alot.

i'll never forget i went out digging one day and found ramsey lewis - uh, maiden voyage, with the mighty quinn break. also bought the leaders of the new school, "case of the PTA" 12" the same day (this was a new record at the time). I checked out the ramsey lewis first and went "oh shit! no one has used this break yet! i can't wait to hook it up!" then i listened to the leaders record. shit.

• i was standing in my room justl istening to some 45s, and i have this osibisa 45 i really havent cared so much about..so i listened through the whole song for my first time, and i noticed a breakdown after the last hook (or before the last hook, not sure) thats a kankick sample right there.. the sample he used on his beat "hemp hair" from the mysterys extinction 10" on raw wax.. the osibisa track is called sunshine day..

last week i bought the michal urbaniak/fusion - atma lp. i found some spacedout female vocals with mad delay/effects on it, used on atmospheres god loves ugly album... shrapnel..

the electric prunes - the one with david axelrod, and the beatnuts organ sample.
    also got a quasimoto loop, from the unseen, dont remember which track.

bj??rn jason lindh - ramadan, surprised when i found a cutchem/numark/j5 sample on this one. flute melody from lesson 6.

another bj??rn jason lindh - sissel lp, got the drumbreak from aceyalone - makeba. but mumbles layered with some harder drums.

don ellis - tears of joy lp, i found this in portland this summer, found the loop for quasimotos fatbacks on this one, sick shit!

barry white - playing your game baby (or something like that) the loops for the black moon joint, original crooks, barry white wtf?!

geoff loves version of the excorcist track, tubular bells or what its called, from his big terror movie themes lp, the loop for roc c/kankicks track "pop off" from all questions answered. one of my favourite tracks.

gentle giant, the one with the ugly face on the cover, their first lp. madvillain - strange ways is taken from one of these tracks.

gap mangione - diana in the autumn wind lp, got samples for these tracks: jaylib - the official, slum v - fall-n-love, talib kweli - shock body. i knew it had the jaylib track, but not the others.

bo hansson - urtrollkarlens hat/the magicans hat lp.
    sample for: a fat joe track, a norwegian hiphop track, dr doom - leave me alone pbwolf remix, viisonaries - pangaea, atmosphere - a track i dont remember the name of.. from the new album, maybe its called "the arrival" or something.

bo hansson - lord of the rings lp
    black moon - six feet deep, pbwolf & lootpack - the track from my vinyl wheights a ton.

janne schaffer - katharasis lp got a loop for mr lifs emergency rations ep

i could go on for hours...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I just found that Spinners LP with the "Grimey Way" sample the other day

I didn't know its got that sample on it when I bought it.

The I completely forgotten I had that record!

It was fun when I played it and BANG! that sample hit me on the face ...

• When I go through stuff to look for things to use, that's when I realize I've had certain things for awhile. I may have bought the album for whatever reason, and then it becomes "OH...!!!"

I know, pretty vague, I just can't think of any offhand.

• Lighthouse- the "da dada da da da" sample used by PB Wolf and others.

When I bought that pre-portable, I thought I was the shit, only to be cut down by when I heard it on the PB Wolf mixtape.

Is THAT where it's from? Well I'll be Grand Coulee damned.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Sounds like "Deliver the Word." Speaking of War, I'm surprised no one's sampled "Gun" from "Black Man's Burdon", or have they? I did for a home-tape (Maxell 90 minutes, baby) years ago. That bassline is nasty!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I got that record, but I haven't listened to it in a while. Is that the song with the open bassline? Actually, there may be a couple of songs on there with open bass, come to think of it. I might dig that out over the weekend,

ya know there is one that just cant seem to put my finger on though....

That Julie Dricoll cover of Light my fire..one of my favorite songs for when Im feeling blue..odd I know.
    But the organs are killer, everytime I hear it I think its been used, but I dont know on what??

Anyone know what Im talking about?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ya know there is one that just cant seem to put my finger on though....

That Julie Dricoll cover of Light my fire..one of my favorite songs for when Im feeling blue..odd I know.
    But the organs are killer, everytime I hear it I think its been used, but I dont know on what??

Anyone know what Im talking about?

Yup.

Obligatory use of graemlin.

Organized used it on the Stress album, for "Why", I think. Pete Rock touched it for Common's "The Bitch in You". If you mean the slightly woozy organ at the beginning, I'm not sure about that.

I was talking about the intro but thats funny because my only other post in here was about Organized as well. Thats cool, I didnt know about the pete rock though. I do love that song.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I got that record, but I haven't listened to it in a while. Is that the song with the open bassline? Actually, there may be a couple of songs on there with open bass, come to think of it. I might dig that out over the weekend,

Yeah, that's the slow joint which begins with the thick, open bassline. It almost has a reggae, Robbie Shakespeare-esque feel to it. Maybe I should resurrect that song and rework it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• chasechase 767 Posts
    Found used some sample in an Al Kooper record that Binary Star had looped, I never knew untill I played the beat for someone else... worst part was the sample was buried in the song... that one kinda pissed me off..

whatever..