REMEMBER THAT?!?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
So I had a dream last night and I woke up like all of the sudden remembering all sorts of shit from my childhood. Please feel free to add on...REMEMBER THAT?!?- Metal lunchboxes with the matching thermos, you always wanted the have the best one in school.- Peaches record store.- Zoom, Big Blue Marble & The Electric Company.- When power windows in a car was a luxury item.- When having Pro-Keds was the shit, and it was a step up from the regular Buster Brown joints.- When the first $50 pair of sneakers dropped (can you name them?)- Being scared as shit of the Sleestack.

Comments

• I was listening to old tapes yesterday 'cause my ipod lost its charge, and I was struck by how magical and dangerous everything seemed (in a good way) and how most of that is totally gone now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I was listening to old tapes yesterday 'cause my ipod lost its charge, and I was struck by how magical and dangerous everything seemed (in a good way) and how most of that is totally gone now.

I think about this all the time.

Part of it can be attributed to getting old, put more than that, I think it comes down to a saturation of information. There are no real mysteries anymore--if you're curious about something, you can just type it into Google, and that wipes the magical edges off of it.

I don't think kids that are sixteen years old today will ever know what it's like to pore over liner notes to see what other rappers your favorite rapper was cosigning or to wait for The Source every month to see how many mics an album you're anticipating got, or what the release date for it is gonna be. Or to go to the store on Tuesday (Friday if you had the mom and pop hookup) and to actually not already know exactly what the album you're buying sounds like.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

REMEMBER THAT?!?

- Metal lunchboxes with the matching thermos, you always wanted the have the best one in school.
    - Zoom, Big Blue Marble & The Electric Company.
    - When having Pro-Keds was the shit, and it was a step up from the regular Buster Brown joints.
    - When the first $50 pair of sneakers dropped (can you name them?)
    - Being scared as shit of the Sleestack.

- When subway tokens were 50 cent.
    - When Onion & Garlic Potato chips were a new alternative.
    - When Debbie Allen did Heroin on Good Times.
    - Shut Yo' Mouth, 3-2-1 Contact, Shazam.
    - When only a certain percentage of kids in the hood were HipHop not all of 'em.
    - Colorforms & Shrinkydinks.
    - Seeing Dapper Dan customized leather jackets.
    -

Or to go to the store and to actually not already know exactly what the album you're buying sounds like.

• I was struck by how magical and dangerous everything seemed (in a good way) and how most of that is totally gone now.

Thing is, you can't un-watch 48 episodes of The Wire and get your cherry back.

The simple schit will still be there though.

ODB: "Remember when we was young we useta see who could do this the longest!"

"uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh"

• cassette tapes are the shit. grimee as shit, but love it.

What is life without my 89tec9 mix TAPES? Honestly, sayin' "mix-CD" does not have that same historically ring to it like sayin' "mix tape"....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

REMEMBER THAT?!?

- Metal lunchboxes with the matching thermos, you always wanted the have the best one in school.
    - Zoom, Big Blue Marble & The Electric Company.
    - When having Pro-Keds was the shit, and it was a step up from the regular Buster Brown joints.
    - When the first $50 pair of sneakers dropped (can you name them?)
    - Being scared as shit of the Sleestack.

- When subway tokens were 50 cent.
    - When Onion & Garlic Potato chips were a new alternative.
    - When Debbie Allen did Heroin on Good Times.
    - Shut Yo' Mouth, 3-2-1 Contact, Shazam.
    - When only a certain percentage of kids in the hood were HipHop not all of 'em.
    - Colorforms & Shrinkydinks.
    - Seeing Dapper Dan customized leather jackets.
    -

Okay two things. First, you know I was looking at YOU Batmon when I made this post...

Also, I was gonna put the 50 cent bus token on the list but didn't. But you brought me back with them other joints you posted.

- Paper bus transfers.
    - "That's My Mama."
    - Mikey dying from eating pop-rocks with his soda.

Let's keep this going.

• - When the first $50 pair of sneakers dropped (can you name them?)

These were the first sneakers I dropped serious coin for:

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    remember toughskins pants from sears (with the knee patch)
    big wheels where your main form of transportation
    ultra man
    Channel 48 (philly heads)
    baseball cards where only made by one company
    the store two guys....

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    on a related note...

anyone remembers stealing caps off of kitchen spray and make fat caps out of them? Nowadays you just go to your hiphopmailorder and order that ish...

• I remember Channel 5 in New York playing great kung-fu movies in the mornings on Sunday

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

FUCK Yes. Channel 48 with Kung Fu Theatre and Creature Double Feature on Saturdays.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    3-2-1 Contact

That show was my shit. Old dudes STAND UP! I gotta run out but I'll be back in a sec to add on.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No Gnus is Good Gnus With Gary Gnu.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

- Mikey dying from eating pop-rocks with his soda.

b/w Alfonso Ribero breaking his neck doing a headspin

• Channel 48 (philly heads)

FUCK Yes. Channel 48 with Kung Fu Theatre and Creature Double Feature on Saturdays.

Hell yes and I think philly still has the paper bus transfer slips. At least they had them two years ago.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    * Wearing thrift store or hand-me-down cordoruys / polo shirts
    * First fight at school
    * First fight for your little brother / sister
    * The first time you went to the zoo and rode the miniature train there
    * The big ass gnarly metal slide at the playground
    * Don't Drown Your Food
    * Your first girlfriend - passing notes in class
    * First time you heard real scandalous rap (Fat Boys - My Nuts - 4th grade - older kids' boombox at the football game)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I know that YOU remember THAT.

• first girl you kissed...

angel gray.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I know that YOU remember THAT.

At the zoo in Jackson, out past the public golf course. I can take you there. They have a "Mississippi animals" section with Raccoons and Alligators and Deer and stuff. But what's really real is the giant catfish tank at the Agriculture Museum. They also got a really good cafeteria with southern food and the workers are all prison inmates. Dude we're gonna be there next weekend!

remember toughskins pants from sears (with the knee patch)
    big wheels where your main form of transportation
    ultra man
    baseball cards where only made by one company
    the store two guys....

- Neon Newport Painters caps given out for free.
    - Green Machines
    - Mello Yello
    - Spiders in Bubble Yum
    - "Fall in to the GAP!"
    - Coca-Cola/Swatch/Disney Rugby's
    - 10 cent phone calls
    - When not many sisters dyed their hair blonde
    - When cats thought all Asian cats knew Kung-Fu/Karate
    - The Bionic Dog
    - Carlton, Rhoda's doorman had a cartoon
    - All needed was a pink spalding ball to create hours of fun
    - Flesh Crayon
    - Janet Jackson as Charlene on Different Strokes
    - Staring at record covers while listening to the wax.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    3-2-1 Contact

That show was my shit. Old dudes STAND UP! I gotta run out but I'll be back in a sec to add on.

Zoom was my shit when i was little, and then when i growed up a little it was allllllllll abot 321 Contact. They did a little piece on the band Kiss and all their pyrotechnics. i thought that was really cool.

i forgot when it was, but in Chicago after school they ran Tranzor Z, Voltron, and (i think) two episodes of Robotech all in a row. it was like the mid or late-80's. that was my first Anime exposure. anyone remember that shit?

• 3-2-1 Contact

I believe this show featured some music from the first Kraftwerk LP on Philips.

[klang]ahead of the curve[/klang]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    - The Wonder Woman TV and being in love with Linda Carter.
    - The roller skates you had to strap to the bottom of your converse.
    - Banana seats on your bike.
    - Horn & Hardarts.
    - When arcades were all pinball and pool tables.
    - Corgi toys being mad "exotic" but you were cool with your Matchbox cars.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Haha I just realized people are probably like "wtf?" on my last post.
    Remember how those crazy rumors would eventually hit your school like Mike D dying, Rod Stewart had to get his stomach pumped, The Pepsi kid (Alfonso Ribeiro) broke his neck doing a headspin, etc.?

That made me think of how MEGA Michael Jackson was back then. Stand up if you had a Beat It jacket and/or t-shirt! When that pepsi commercial came on I was in awe.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    3-2-1 Contact

Zoom was my shit when i was little, and then when i growed up a little it was allllllllll abot 321 Contact. They did a little piece on the band Kiss and all their pyrotechnics. i thought that was really cool.

i forgot when it was, but in Chicago after school they ran Tranzor Z, Voltron, and (i think) two episodes of Robotech all in a row. it was like the mid or late-80's. that was my first Anime exposure. anyone remember that shit?

Yeah I was older when Anime got big but before Tranzir A and Voltron there was Star Blazers and before that Speed Racer.

And I remember all the kids being into Kiss and I think I remember that 321 Contact when they had Kiss. All the kids used to "pick" what member of Kiss they were - I always wanted to be Peter Criss for some reason. Ugh.

Remember the game "That's my car?"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That made me think of how MEGA Michael Jackson was back then. Stand up if you had a Beat It jacket and/or t-shirt! When that pepsi commercial came on I was in awe.

When I was in first grade, the Michael Jackson joints with the zippers were huge.

I recall one kid offering another kid his lunch money in exchange for being allowed to wear just the zip-off sleeves of the other kid's jacket.

Wtf?

- The Wonder Woman TV and being in love with Linda Carter.
    - The roller skates you had to strap to the bottom of your converse.
    - Banana seats on your bike.
    - Horn & Hardarts.
    - When arcades were all pinball and pool tables.
    - Corgi toys being mad "exotic" but you were cool with your Matchbox cars.

Oh shit !!!!!!!!

You brought it back w/ that Corgi shit. Hell Yeak. I had a Corgi Box w/ Batmobile/Batboat/Starsky & Hutch/The Spider-Copter/JamesBond Moonraker Car & The MuthaFuckin' KOJAK car...........I said KOJAK!!!

LYNDA CARTER........

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

When I was in first grade, the Michael Jackson joints with the zippers were huge.

I recall one kid offering another kid his lunch money in exchange for being allowed to wear the zip-off sleeves only of the other kid's jacket.

Wtf?

Things were VERY REAL back then. Nice call on the Newport painters caps, Batmon. Remember the blank canvas painters caps that had the fold-down flaps in the back?

Also, Davey Crockett hats.