bestest Blues LP evar

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2016 in Record Collecting
picked up a Furry Lewis "Back on My Feet Again" on Prestige today..damn its good. Furry was da man! good shit...whats your bestest blues LP?

Comments

• i really dig that fenton robinson "somebody loan me a dime." mine has the cover where he is standing in the middle of the road with a guitar. gator records.

i had a wierd dream last night....

• I'm no expert- but I love these records with all my heart.

• I don't know why I hate blues so much.
    I like Electric Mud.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    picked up a Furry Lewis "Back on My Feet Again" on Prestige today..damn its good. Furry was da man! good shit...whats your bestest blues LP?

Never had that one

I was just listening to Furry on a Don Nix lp.

Hoppergrass makes the hops
    Honey bee makes the honey
    Good Lord makes all the pretty girls
    And Wal-Mart (Sears) makes all the money.
    Furry Lewis

Hoo-doo Man Blues by Jr Wells is in my top 5 blues lps. I played for a kid a while ago and he was really offended by Good Morning Little School Girl. I think people are all done doing covers of that one.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

the title track on this is also on the Nickel & a Nail LP he released on Backbeat (prod by Willie Mitchell).

is this another take on the track?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I even gave this one another chance like two weeks ago...

You sound Albino

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LOL

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I smell a rat = :melt::melt::melt::melt:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Big fan of this guy

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Bobby "Blue" Bland: Two Steps from the Blues
    Leroy Carr & Scrapper Blackwell: Blues Before Sunrise
    Big Mama Thornton: Stronger Than Dirt
    Junior Wells: You're Tuff Enough
    Sonny Boy Williamson(II): Down and Out Blues
    Etta James: Rocks the House!
    Howlin' Wolf: Moanin' In The Moonlight

John Lee Hooker: how the fuck can I pick one? I'll
    say "Never Get out of These Blues Alive" as a nod to his
    late 60's/early 70's stuff, and assume that we can
    all agree that any compilation of his tracks for
    Modern, etc is "The Bestest Blues LP evar"

• Big fan of this guy

Hey Non! You forgot this one...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't know why I hate blues so much.
    I like Electric Mud.

Seriouly? Sic 'em, JP.

If you don't "get" Skip James and Memphis Minnie, then I really have no idea what to say to you.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I will attest to the awesomeness of Magic Sam's 'West Side Soul' on Delmark until the day I die.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I will attest to the awesomeness of J.B. Hutto's "Hawk Squat!" on Delmark until the day I die.

• Hey Non! You forgot this one...

Me personally, I'd just as soon forget that one.

Freddy Robinson (now known as Abu Talib) was cool doing the jazz-soul-blues fusion thing on Enterprise. But when he's in his pseudo-Wes Montgomery bag (as on the Black Fox album), he loses me...

• I started not to say nothing, since every couple months or so Soul Strut feels its' blues oats and does a "best blues albums" thread (and there's always ONE joker who has to mention Electric Mud). But I figured, fuck it, I'll do it again...I know I should post pictures, but some of these covers can't be found on the Net and I'm tired anyways:

- Smokey Smothers Sings The Backporch Blues (King)
    - Sonny & Brownie - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee (A&M - a 1973 attempt to update their sound, and it actually works...it's not as clumsy as Muddy Waters' two psychedelic albums)
    - Love Can Be Found Anywhere, Even In A Guitar - Albert Collins (Imperial)
    - Smokey Hogg Sings The Blues (Crown)
    - Hey Boss Man! - Frank Frost (Phillips Int'l)
    - Just Jimmy Reed (Vee Jay - side two is an unedited session with studio dialogue)

...and those albums in the Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies series on the Blues Spectrum label are shockingly good. You've probably seen them in every used bin from one end of the earth to the other...producer Johnny Otis gets some 1950's jump-blues guy like Big Joe Turner or Gatemouth Moore or Charles Brown or Roy Milton to redo their old songs in the seventies, but they actually pull it off! No acid-rock treatments, just straight ahead vintage rhythm & blues. Amos Milburn's is really good, considering he had just had a stroke before the recording...he's sick, and unfortunately he sounds it, but in a weird way it actually adds to the songs...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Blues records and Elise threads are the same. Once you heard/read one, they are all the same.

BLUES: MORE REPETITIVE MUSIC GENERE EVAR

That's why BB King came out with all the funny faces, to prevent the audience from falling asleep.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have a comp that collects Memphis Slim's Candid sides, really great stuff

• Howlin' Wolf: Moanin' In The Moonlight

• just copped an original copy of this on the cheap. 

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Blues records and Elise threads are the same. Once you heard/read one, they are all the same.

That's why BB King came out with all the funny faces, to prevent the audience from falling asleep.

I've said it before: The Blues is Tone and Life. You get it or you don't; it's not really about the lyrics OR the notes on paper. I'll admit that pre-war and early Delta is a bunch more exciting to me, but when you're working on mostly major names like B.B., it can be akin to when you first heard rap and thought it sounded all the same. Hone that blade, my friend.

• Blues records and Elise threads are the same. Once you heard/read one, they are all the same.

what? there's a pretty big gap between stevie ray vaughn and son house. i feel sorry for you if can't tell the difference.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    When Luck was here recently, I played him some Ray Agee and I believe he would agree that shit was smoking. L.A. soul blues is killing it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    When Luck was here recently, I played him some Ray Agee and I believe he would agree that shit was smoking. L.A. soul blues is killing it.

Right. And then there's that CJ label.

• When Luck was here recently, I played him some Ray Agee and I believe he would agree that shit was smoking. L.A. soul blues is killing it.

Classic, slept-on Chicago blues label, right up there with Atomic-H, PM, Bea & Baby and Dud Sound. Just picked up an '80s compilation (on the Neon label) of old C.J. sides, Bachelor Blues. Straight-up west side soul - Chitown blues with a soulish swagger. The owner, Carl Jones, was a blues singer himself, and in 1977 recorded one of the most messed-up Elvis tributes ever, "Rock & Roll King." The recording is so garbled, you can't really tell whether he's eulogizing Elvis or bitching about the fact that so many other black R&B stars didn't make it as big. I can't see any of the lame blues acts that play Chicago's tourist blues spots recording something this off-the-wall.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Classic, slept-on Chicago blues label, right up there with Atomic-H, PM, Bea & Baby and Dud Sound. Just picked up an '80s compilation (on the Neon label) of old C.J. sides, Bachelor Blues. Straight-up west side soul - Chitown blues with a soulish swagger. The owner, Carl Jones, was a blues singer himself, and in 1977 recorded one of the most messed-up Elvis tributes ever, "Rock & Roll King." The recording is so garbled, you can't really tell whether he's eulogizing Elvis or bitching about the fact that so many other black R&B stars didn't make it as big. I can't see any of the lame blues acts that play Chicago's tourist blues spots recording something this off-the-wall.

Re: off-the-wall

• Now that bizarre "Pettin' The Baby" single should be on Willie's box set!!!

Luck, ever hear Bill Spiller's "Hot Pants Girls" on Atomic-H?

And on my finger is a diamond ring
    Two chicks on each arm and boys, I'm ready to swing,
    Yes, I'm readyyy...
    To make a little love...
    (Make a little love, yeahhh-yeah!)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

this is the record every single modern blues bar band is based on...

the first time i heard it, i was like "ah, that's where they all got it from"...

def a funky blues record, for pure blues i would say a tape made of 90 minutes of howlin' wolf is my fav blues record... but that Chess greatest hits record of his from the late 70's with this pic on the cover is pretty close: