Lesser Known Motown Releases Suggestions

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited June 2016 in Music Talk
I think we had a similar thread a couple months ago on Motown Records in general. I found some good stuff from that thread and was wondering if people could come up with any other suggestions for releases on Motown or any of their subsidiaries that aren't so well known (LP or 45) that are worth picking up.

Here's some that I know of myself to get things rolling

1. Chuck Jackson - Arrives
  2. Riot - Welcome To The World Of Rio
  3. Gordon Staples - Strung Out
  4. Monitors - Greetings!
  5. Hearts of Stone - Stop The World

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    isn't most of the "good/rare" stuff on 45
    and falls into the 'northern"category

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I started a thread a while ago abotu motown releases from after 1968, tons of knowledge on a lot of the groups and albums you mentioned was dropped. I'd love to know more if people have more to share.

as of late I've found myself more into the real early motown releases (Stevie Wonder's first 3 LP's, the Miracles first album, the Elgins, The Contours, etc.) not too many reissues on vinyl of this stuff but what I've hear is gold. Stevie was one funky ass 12 year old, and the sweet soul that Smokey was doing in the early 60's can melt an ice cap faster than global warming.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Haven't listened to it in some time, but I remember liking it quite a bit.

Also, if anyone can direct me to a spot that sells t-shirts featuring the Motown car logo in the upper right, I would be most grateful.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This is where Marvin was really tryin to go.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

yeah, I have this LP and I'm not too into it, yet marvins voice is so smooth that I can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

But this is definitely the era of Motown thats captured my fancy as of late

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I don't have an MP3 of it, but if someone has the Stacie Johnson "Woman In My Eyes" 45, please post up. Great Jailbait 45.

• And I'm not even signifying - this isn't one of those "singing celebrities" goofs, this is a really good album if you're into vintage jump-blues. Kinda like one of the singers with the Johnny Otis Show, or a gentler Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson. It's from 1973, but it sounds like 1957. I don't know what Motown was thinking when they released this - a tax writeoff for Berry Gordy? Was it a thank-you to Scatman for appearing in Lady Sings The Blues? What market were they aiming at? Scatman Crothers' bio doesn't even mention it! But, hey, they released it, and it's no laughing matter. He TEARS IT UP on "Kansas City!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

yeah, I have this LP and I'm not too into it, yet marvins voice is so smooth that I can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

But this is definitey the era of Motown thats captured my fancy as of late

I feel its one of his eary joints that reveal his original intentions. Crooner.
    He gets so boxed in as that sexgodshit, its nice to hear/witness his early game w/ him covering one of his idols. Kinda like Jordan before Pippen.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Luther Allison Bad News is Coming -- One of Motown's blues anomalies along with Luther's Blues,[/b] straight blues with more than a couple funky moments.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Major co-sign!!

Also, I love the David Ruffin solo joints, especially:

Some other stuff:

Undisputed Truth: Cosmic Truth and Law of the Land
    Edwin Starr: Involved
    Mary Wells: Bye Bye Baby
    Marvin Gaye: That's the Way Love Is

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Sonic,

I have this Elaine Brown LP already. Luv the cover. Into the feeling, but don't like it musically at all. Would you say that it's in the same vein or different. Let me know some details please.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=863

• Neither are really "killer" albums, but the Black Forum release is much better than "Seize The Time" in my opinion. A lot more together. Arrangements by Horace Tapscott and production by Fonce Mizell make this much more listenable.

SONIC

Neither are really "killer" albums, but the Black Forum release is much better than "Seize The Time" in my opinion. A lot more together. Arrangements by Horace Tapscott and production by Fonce Mizell make this much more listenable.

SONIC

Will have to keep an eye out for it then. I've passed it quite a few times here in the Bay because I wasn't so hot on the first one.

• chuck jackson - "teardrops keep fallin' on my heart" (vip)
    this is a great lp by a man who, imo, is a greatly underappreciated vocalist
    ---

btw, if anyone has "i'll fight (til i win your love)" or "have you heard about the fool" from this lp on 45, please to pm!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Neither are really "killer" albums, but the Black Forum release is much better than "Seize The Time" in my opinion. A lot more together. Arrangements by Horace Tapscott and production by Fonce Mizell make this much more listenable.

SONIC

Yes.

I always wondered why the Black Forum label had so few releases? And cosign on the Baraka title. Plus "Guess Who's Coming Home"

That's on MoWest right? I'm pretty sure that I've heard one song off of that album. Can someone post the audio for it please?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    isn't most of the "good/rare" stuff on 45
    and falls into the 'northern"category
    You will get clowned if you play any Motown at a 'Northern' nighter.

I recently picked up a Monk Montgomery LP on Chisa that seemed ok when I needle dropped it in the store, haven't given it a proper listen yet though. Electric bass solos for days, nice arrangements. I had never seen it before so it was interesting to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I recently picked up a Monk Montgomery LP on Chisa that seemed ok when I needle dropped it in the store, haven't given it a proper listen yet though. Electric bass solos for days, nice arrangements. I had never seen it before so it was interesting to me.

is this called "reality" or something close to that?

I listened to this i na sotre once, picked it up and on a second listen felt kinda underwhelmed.

Any got any good Chisa label recommendations? (outside of the Crusaders)

I listened to this i na sotre once, picked it up and on a second listen felt kinda underwhelmed.

No, I don't think so, I'm at work so can't remember, but the cover is cream colored with a painting in the middle.

• You will get clowned if you play any Motown at a 'Northern' nighter.

what about Jack Hammer's Color Combination??? Shit seems to keep the party live and have neck peering at the label when i dropped it in Detroit?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

No, I don't think so, I'm at work so can't remember, but the cover is cream colored with a painting in the middle.

this is the one I'm referring to. Really boring as an album, maybe good if your into pulling samples though

what about Jack Hammer's Color Combination??? Shit seems to keep the party live and have neck peering at the label when i dropped it in Detroit?
    The ex-pat poms in your 'Northern' scene must not be as militant as ours. I'm not saying I agree with their stance BTW.

this is the one I'm referring to. Really boring as an album, maybe good if your into pulling samples though
    Yeah, different LP, I've never seen that one either though.

• You will get clowned if you play any Motown at a 'Northern' nighter.

The ex-pat poms in your 'Northern' scene must not be as militant as ours.
    I'm not saying I agree with their stance BTW.

It's a tough little record. wish I could find an upgrade or a commercial copy to know what the flip is....

The ex-pat poms in your 'Northern' scene must not be as militant as ours.
    I'm not saying I agree with their stance BTW.

It's a tough little record. wish I could find an upgrade or a commercial copy to know what the flip is....
    Flip is 'Swim', can't remember what it sounds like though. There is a UK pic sleeve of it.

• Gotham - Pass The Butter - Natural Resources 72

This one has its moments, but I'm not sold on the singing. It does have the astrological sign of everyone involved with the record on the back cover though.