Arthur Baker vs. Arthuer Russell

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Very influential founder of Sleeping Bag and apparent original trucker hat hipstervs. Planet Rock

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    AB

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    AR.. echo master.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I'm partial to AR. His stuff always intrigues me and I keep wanting to listen over and over

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Arthur Baker was a great producer/engineer. But aside from "Walking on Sunshine" his solo catalog contains a lot of corny major label remixes and assorted .

With Arthur Russell you have:

"Is it All Over My Face"
    "24-24 Music"
    "World of Echo"

All classics, each with a different sound, all clearly the same artist.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Has anyone heard ? It's so damn good

• THIS ONE IS HARD- I LOVE 'EM BOTH.
    I TRIED AND ONE COULDN'T TRUMP THE OTHER.

AB GETS EXTRA CREDITS FROM ME THO FOR THE NEW ORDER CONFUSION REMIX, AND FOR ALWAYS REMINDING ME OF THIS MUPPET CHARACTER:

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    THIS ONE IS HARD- I LOVE 'EM BOTH.

AB GETS EXTRA CREDITS FROM ME THO FOR THE NEW ORDER CONFUSION REMIX, AND FOR ALWAYS REMINDING ME OF THIS MUPPET CHARACTER:

wow.. might have to change my vote.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Very influential founder of Sleeping Bag and apparent original trucker hat hipster.

Coincidentally, I am working on drums for a Russell cover by the original interstellar nightengale ("over my dead body") punk rock cellist who dedicated her last album to Russell.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    THIS ONE IS HARD- I LOVE 'EM BOTH.

AB GETS EXTRA CREDITS FROM ME THO FOR THE NEW ORDER CONFUSION REMIX
    Yes! That video has always been one of my favorites.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wax the van

• a better introduction may be ARTHUR RUSSELL

vs.

ARTHUR BAKER

having never seen pics of these dudes before i must say, their sound matches their image. one look at russell tells me "hi i'm into punky dance music, drugs, & cello", which is exactly the sound of his recordings. Baker's rough profile says "i'd rather be in a floor length leather trench coat listening to mann parrish".

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

a better introduction may be ARTHUR RUSSELL

vs.

ARTHUR BAKER

having never seen pics of these dudes before i must say, their sound matches their image. one look at russell tells me "hi i'm into punky dance music, drugs, & cello", which is exactly the sound of his recordings. Baker's rough profile says "i'd rather be in a floor length leather trench coat listening to mann parrish".

hahaha.

yeah, exactly what i was thinking.
    hadn't seen photos before either.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    Arthur Baker meant more to me growing up with all the Soulsonic Force stuff, Breakers Revenge, etc. I didn't discover Confusion until the 1990s but that's a firm favourite now too. Arthur Russell is someone I'm begining to learn about. His music's pretty crazy. And deeeep. And funky. And soulful. I definitely need to pick up more of his stuff. I'm really looking forward to the movie about him too.

http://www.arthurrussellmovie.com/

• pop that funk

all over my face

vs.

breakers revenge

looking for the perfect beat

personally, i'm choosing RUSSELL here.

beck look

vs.

metallica roadie

i'm choosing BAKER.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Most people would come up losing in comparison with Arthur Russell. I love all the Loose Joints and Dinosaur L "hits", but tracks like "A little lost" and "Keeping up" are next level to me, so beautiful and unique. And you can't be faulted for rocking the hipster/Beck look before[/b] it became the hipster/Beck look.

edit : the number of the beast!

• Most people would come up losing in comparison with Arthur Russell. I love all the Loose Joints and Dinosaur L "hits", but tracks like "A little lost" and "Keeping up" are next level to me, so beautiful and unique. And you can't be faulted for rocking the hipster/Beck look before[/b] it became the hipster/Beck look.

edit : the number of the beast!

Word, I say "Another Thought" is better than "World of echo" but I love them both, too bad "Another Thought isn??t on vinyl yet.

Vem ??r du mjukis?

...and yes, that cello kicks ass and Arthur Russell is probably my favorite artist