Any Pat Metheny fans in here?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited June 2016 in Music Talk
Yes? I HATE YOU. Please stop referring to your man as "Pat" like you know him on a personal level. Please stop acting like you reached the musical knowledge pinnacle because you listen to this dude. Please go away with you copy of Chihuahua or something like that. PS: I only rock the "Beyond the Missouri sky" Charlie Haden collaboration with my 5 o'clock cup of tea.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yes? I HATE YOU. Please stop referring to your man as "Pat" like you know him on a personal level. Please stop acting like you reached the musical knowledge pinnacle because you listen to this dude. Please go away with you copy of Chihuahua or something like that.

PS: I only rock the "Beyond the Missouri sky" Charlie Haden collaboration with my 5 o'clock cup of tea.

I certainly hope not--that should be grounds for immediate BAN.

We have the same dentist, by the way ---TRUE STORY

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Paging Anthony Pearson.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

We have the same dentist, by the way <---TRUE STORY

FAKE TEETH ALERT

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Pat (that's "Pat") deserves a lifetime pass for his brutal demolition of Kenny G alone.

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

"Are You Going With Me" is my shit, btw.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    "spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing"

Pat (that's "Pat") deserves a lifetime pass for his brutal demolition of Kenny G alone.

Whatever. Slamming Kenny G is like pushing an old lady out of a wheelchair.

Real men pick on Wynton.

• Pat (that's "Pat") deserves a lifetime pass for his brutal demolition of Kenny G alone.

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing

saba beat me to it...this is a pretty funny line though

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Shananananaaaa....This is not Argentina...noooo, this is not Argentina...

Real men pick on Wynton.

Oh, I agree - Wynton gets the dilz from me as well. But Pat (that's "Pat") at least made his criticism out of a deeper aesthetic motivation than just the standard "Kenny G makes elevator muzak for people who don't like jazz" kind of barb that's usually aimed at the guy. It's one think to know Kenny G is shit - I'm more impressed when someone can say precisely why he's shit.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yes? I HATE YOU. Please stop referring to your man as "Pat" like you know him on a personal level. Please stop acting like you reached the musical knowledge pinnacle because you listen to this dude. Please go away with you copy of Chihuahua or something like that.

PS: I only rock the "Beyond the Missouri sky" Charlie Haden collaboration with my 5 o'clock cup of tea.

I certainly hope not--that should be grounds for immediate BAN.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Real men pick on Wynton.

• damn JLR, have a sandwich buddy.

anyway, i'm a pretty big Metheny fan. I don't celebrate his entire catalogue, but he has a ton of heat. Also, he's a nice, friendly, down-to-earth individual.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Yeah, but when you drop the acapella of "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em" over "Yolanda, You Learn"...

(I should post the mix I did when I included this. I'll do that in a bit.)

Also, he's a nice, friendly, down-to-earth individual.

What is wrong with you?

Being a nice, friendly, down-to-earth individual does not even begin to mitigate crimes of musical corniness!

And look at dude's haircut!

• True story:
    I saw Pat Metheny at Town Hall in New York back in the early 80's. Ate a quaalude before the show (one of only 5-6 ludes I ever ate in my life) and proceeded to fall asleep in my balcony seat. Pat provided the perfect musical accompaniment for that.
    Also saw him 2-3 years after that in the streets of Paris wearing a very stylish Pat Metheny silk tour jacket. Very snazzy. Wish I'd had the balls to try and get that jacket from him.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Being a nice, friendly, down-to-earth individual does not even begin to mitigate crimes of musical corniness!

And while I very much enjoyed his Kenny G rant, I couldn't help but think "is this the guy I want to be hearing this from?" I mean, its not quite "pot calling the kettle black" but its damned close.

• you dudes are dumb

all essential

you dudes are dumb

all essential

Move to strike all evidence bearing ECM imprint.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    musical necrophilia

He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician.

all essential

you dudes are dumb

all essential

it's embarrassing that someone even took the time to search for those images.

• it's embarrassing that someone even took the time to search for those images.

apparently you don't like music that much

come on. you can do better than that. you want another chance? here...

ehem

you dudes are dumb

all essential

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why did Kenney G see Deep Throat 5 times?

He wanted to get it down Pat!

apparently you don't like wanker noodling that much

The defence would like to call Mr. Richard Thompson to the stand.

My lack of access to audio on the workplace computer is unfortunate. I'll have to wait til I get home to hear Mr. Thompson's rebuttal ... I like his guitar playing anyway.

• In defense of Mr Metheny: