School me on Polish Jazz

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
so I need some on Polish Jazz/Psych ish in the vein of Jazz Q. Anybody up on thangs???PM or put on blast!The beat possesser sometimes known as Geezus

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Jazz Q were from Czechoslovakia, but here's a recent thread on the Polish Jazz stuff:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post754766

• check polish jazz-rock group Laboratorium, they carry similar weird-proggy-fusion vibe like Jazz Q

my fav's are "diver" lp, "modern pentathlon" (polish jazz 49) lp, "live in aquarium no 1" lp, "blue light pilot" lp

their anthology (eleven-CD's) was released just recently - all official albums + some unreleased stuff, should be on slsk

• is Quasimodo any good? I have Diver and Modern Pentathlon, both are incredible. Someone once told me Quasimodo was their best record, it's from '79 too. I'll probably take a chance on it when I spot one.

• Yes, get Quasimodo, you won't be disappointed.

• I am fond of Krzysztof Sadowski, I picked a few of his LPs in Poland and he has some really cool stuff and experimented with effects on the hammond and made some far out recordings.

• is Quasimodo any good? I have Diver and Modern Pentathlon, both are incredible. Someone once told me Quasimodo was their best record, it's from '79 too. I'll probably take a chance on it when I spot one.

so is Quasimodo the name of the group??? I'm asking about Pollish jazz because I don't know much about it, so clear info is way better than the standard cyptic musings...

so is Quasimodo the name of the group???

No, Laboratorium is the name of the group, "Quasimodo" is the title of one of their albums. And I recommend it too.

I might be getting off track here, but If you like Jazz Q, who IMO are kinda proggy (early with Joan Duggan on vocals) or fusiony (later period), you might dig SBB, a polish progfusion trio featuring J??zef Skrzek on the keyboards. They put out a lot of LPs on Muza, Supraphon, Intercord a.o. I passed over on their records for years, but recently I've been digging them a lot. I even find Skrzek's accent-heavy vocals really cool somehow. This one has been getting a lot of spins the last few months:

Niemen Aerolit (Czeslaw Niemen) might be interesting too: S/T, "Karthasis" and "Id??e Fixe".

There are also two live comps called Jazz-Rock Workshop 1 & 2 from '75/'76 that feature Jazz Q tracks. On a related note but more on the bigband jazz-beat side, this one has Martin Kratochv??l (JQ keys man) laying down some nice wurlitzer action:

Energit and Impuls (also Czech jazz-rock groups) might be interesting as well.

Back to Polish Jazz/Muza, I would also recommend "Na Cosmodromie" and "3000 Points" by Krzysztof Sadowski + "Easy" by Wojciech Karolak.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yo M**t*n!

I just came back from djing in cracow and poland is just...you know...amazing. The party was one of the best i ever had and all the people there are so friendly that its crazy. Bought some good stuff there and Quasimodo is highly recommended. Also some stuff by adam makowicz is dope. but i was there more for the breaks and freaky stuff. but polish jazz is mos def killin it on all aspects.

• good looks dejean!!!

• these are the only i polish records i got, janos gonda sextet is hungarian i think, and of course the boot camp clik 12 inch in the background has nohing to do with the other records.

my favourites out of these:

1. jerzy milian trio - baazaar
    2. extra ball - birthday
    3. jan ptaszyn wroblewski
    4. henryk debich - string beat
    5. woichiech karolak - easy

check out one of the drumbreaks (1 of 3) on the czerwone gitary lp:

http://final.no/Czerwone%20Gitary%20-%20Bylas%20Mej%20Pamieci%20Wierszem(mp3).mp3

the nol - breakout lp, and the henryk debich - string beat lp do also got some SICK drumbreaks for those cats who cares about that, tight 80-85 bpm drumbreaks.

someone who can send me some soundclips of the sadowski - three thousand points lp?

fred

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Also some stuff by adam makowicz is dope.

is there any other makowiczes to look out for that the unit record?

he did some i'll sh*t with urbaniac too, but does he have any other joints in his own name, the unit lp is

good looks dejean!!!

Just remember that stuff like SBB and Niemen are on the proggy side, so expect a certain amount of gee-tars and synths. Just trying to come with something that wasn't mentioned in the other thread. Speaking of which, how come no-one has said anything about this:

Zbigniew Namyslowski's S/T from '76. On the Herbie-ish funky fusion tip. This was my first introduction to Polish jazz waaaaaay back (big ups to Upskiboo ). Solid LP right there.

Also, don't sleep on Michal Urbaniak's early pre-US stuff on Muza:

Same druggy vibe as the Sadowski LPs. Karolak and Makowicz double-teaming on organ and e-piano with some crazy old drum machine sneaking into the mix here and there.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    is there any other makowiczes to look out for that the unit record?

he did some i'll sh*t with urbaniac too, but does he have any other joints in his own name, the unit lp is

cosign, that is the one I mean...

• double-teaming on organ

• Hello!
    I have some polish records and i can change it for any records with funk, soul, jazz, groove. If you find any records, send me messaege [email]burn@barmleczny.com[/email]

• i have the sadowski and all the laboratoriums on mp3 along with many of the other polish jazz records...check me on soulseek in the soulstrut room.

for valentines day my polski princess bought me a copy of "complot of 4" on polish jazz.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    After you're finished w/ polish jazz, pass go and move directly to Grupa ABC[/b]. Easily the best $50 I ever spent.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    man, these polish cats where on some when it came to cover design

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    man, these polish cats where on some

• Burn - you've been emailed.....

Another group that might be of interest to you is Modr?? Efekt (Blue Effect).
    Basically a rock outfit, but they did this one in collaboration with Jazz Q:

And these two with the Czech Radio Jazz Orchestra:

• Co-sign on Polish records...there's some great music to be found over there.
    In Krakow i recommend High Fidelity records in the Jewish Quarter, Petr runs the place and will happily pull out a stack of great stuff based on the kind of style you like and all for good prices too... I went there last month and got a load of European records but these are just the Polish ones:

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    If you like that jazz-rock style of Jazz Q's the Wizard, that NOL LP posted below has a pretty good track in that vein.

these are the only i polish records i got, janos gonda sextet is hungarian i think, and of course the boot camp clik 12 inch in the background has nohing to do with the other records.

my favourites out of these:

1. jerzy milian trio - baazaar
    2. extra ball - birthday
    3. jan ptaszyn wroblewski
    4. henryk debich - string beat
    5. woichiech karolak - easy

check out one of the drumbreaks (1 of 3) on the czerwone gitary lp:

http://final.no/Czerwone%20Gitary%20-%20Bylas%20Mej%20Pamieci%20Wierszem(mp3).mp3

the nol - breakout lp, and the henryk debich - string beat lp do also got some SICK drumbreaks for those cats who cares about that, tight 80-85 bpm drumbreaks.

someone who can send me some soundclips of the sadowski - three thousand points lp?

fred

• After you're finished w/ polish jazz, pass go and move directly to Grupa ABC[/b]. Easily the best $50 I ever spent.
    (although I only spent about 60 cents on it)

I am waiting with baited breath for Grupa ABC's 1st 45 to arrive in the mail...it has two tracks that are as good as anything on the LP, killer shit...peep a sample of one the tracks:
    that good polish shit