Digging with the lady

rogbrogb 172 Posts
edited April 2016 in Record Collecting
I've noticed alotta cats on soulstrut dig with their girlfriend/wifey.What's the scoop how do I get my lady to pick out raers and hot wax? without her having to through years of digging just to gain basic knowledge? help please

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It starts with love. I'll tell you that much.

• It starts with love. I'll tell you that much.

YOU'VE ALREADY SAID TOO MUCH!@#$

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    no, don't even think about it.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    unless they can flirt and get you a discount..

it's pointless..

- spidey

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    unless they can flirt and get you a discount..

it's pointless..

- spidey

Seriously, my girl spied some records at this house around the corner from where she lived. You could seem em inside the front door. Without missing a beat I'm like 'you're going over there to see if the guy wants to sell 'em.' Took a bit of work but a month or so later we're over there buying shit off dude. He used to be a DJ. His records were well worth the $1 a piece he charged us.

Oh yeahm, and it helps if your girl digs tha funk.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    no, don't even think about it.

Ever.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Biggie said it best:

"Seven: this rule is so underrated
    Keep your family and business completely seperated"

• i got my girl a record player, now she comes along for digs and jaded london record store clerks OFFER her discounts they would never consider giving me. anywyas, when it comes to birthdays etc, she knows exactly what to get me now.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dont you like to do some things buy yourself?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Its all about having a girl who's into litterature and hitting up bookstore/record store

• When travelling, sometimes it is a necessity.

For home games, best to play solo.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    My lady is really cool about coming along. More often than not she is with me when i hit spots that have more than records. She is very understanding of pulling over on the way somewhere if there is a thrift store. I still have the peace of my solo digging routine, but i can have a side kick when i want one too.

• I try to make it fun for them if I take a girl along. Point out ugly moustaches and crazy covers, and check tracklistings while she??s laughing. Sneaky sneaky...

- J

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Once in Las Vegas, I gave my girl a set list and she hit up dude behind the counter and had his mark-ass look for everything...

• my girlfriend??s grandparents live 30 minutes from Utrecht
    she is cool with me being obsessed with records, i warned her on the first date.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    we have a pretty good thing going
    I help her dig for clothes
    in return she helps me with records

she doesn't know a lot but she pulled Archie Shepp Attica Blues for me out of nowhere, Georgia. She knows what I like, or if I ever mention something she always remembers.

TEAMWORK GUYS

LEARN FROM IT. you can't be digging islands all your life

• TEAMWORK GUYS
    LEARN FROM IT. you can't be digging islands all your life

• My lady is really cool about coming along. More often than not she is with me when i hit spots that have more than records. She is very understanding of pulling over on the way somewhere if there is a thrift store. I still have the peace of my solo digging routine, but i can have a side kick when i want one too.

for me and melady it's all about the thrift store. If she comes into a strictly record shop with me it's NO GOOOD. makes me feel like I gotta take a piss or something.

On the other hand, I have to give her big respect for having the deepest knowledge of early 90's RnB and G-Funk of anyone I've ever met-- swear to god. She's actually pretty good at catching samples too. She doesn't really snag records for me, but she remembers the joints and tells me to go find em. When I do, it's usually a revelation.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Biggie said it best:

"Seven: this rule is so underrated
    Keep your family and business completely seperated"

There are special cases and certain situations to this rule. Tim and I were both into records and digging when we met. Infact it was one of the biggest things that brought us together. We had a few little tiffs when we were diggin together in the early stages and one a made score over the other. But then we started pooling our money and began buying and selling together we didnt have that anymore. We still dig by ourselves on the regular and keep the stuff we want. we are always workinonit. Its important to rememember the important stuff.

There are several bonuses to working and digging together.
    You have two sets of eyes, two wants lists, twice as fast ( digging wise we cover twice the area in half the time) Twice the man power, twice knowlege, two computers and half the work.
    You dont have to sneak away on vacation or on saturday.
    and Lunch is included.

• there are 2 things i will never expect to do with my lady(s).

dig for records

hackeysack

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    once my old girl told me she was almost offended i never took her with when i went digging...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Any girl I've been with the rule of thumb in regards to taking her digging is = to White Lines, aka don't do it. s for dayssssssssss. If she's a digger (never met that girl EVAR), by all means.

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    On the other hand, I have to give her big respect for having the deepest knowledge of early 90's RnB and G-Funk of anyone I've ever met

I just wanted to point out that I think this is amazing. Hold onto that woman, and never let her go.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    One of the first girls I dated 'collected' records just for the sake of appearing cool to all her poser friends. All she had were a bunch of rinked, 80s pop turds with a lot of Kansas and R.E.O Speedwagon. She also liked to go to second-hand stores with me to buy the the most hideous looking dollar bin clothing. When we broke up, she kept calling me for a week straight, freaking out and begging me to return some Dexy's Midnight Runners LP I didn't have. That makes me laugh to this day. Thankfully, I have higher standards now.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    One of the first girls I dated 'collected' records just for the sake of appearing cool to all her poser friends. All she had were a bunch of rinked, 80s pop turds with a lot of Kansas and R.E.O Speedwagon. She also liked to go to second-hand stores with me to buy the the most hideous looking dollar bin clothing. When we broke up, she kept calling me for a week straight, freaking out and begging me to return some Dexy's Midnight Runners LP I didn't have. That makes me laugh to this day. Thankfully, I have higher standards now.

i know girls like this, and its kind of embarassing to go up to the counter with them. except when they pay for my records too. then its a bonus.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    One of the first girls I dated 'collected' records just for the sake of appearing cool to all her poser friends. All she had were a bunch of rinked, 80s pop turds with a lot of Kansas and R.E.O Speedwagon.

LOL. Are you from Portland? Sounds like most of the hypster collectors here, male or female. They are probably everywhere though.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    We had a couple come into the shop yesterday where the girlfriend was dragging the boyfriend record digging with her. He was diligently looking for certain titles and would give them to her for the yay or nay.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

LOL. Are you from Portland? Sounds like most of the hypster collectors here, male or female. They are probably everywhere though.

haha, no. Southern California. Oregon looks like a cool state to live in though. There's a lot of those down here, too. They're like Thora Birch's character in Ghost World, except with really bad taste and severe emotional and image issues.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Once in Las Vegas, I gave my girl a set list and she hit up dude behind the counter and had his mark-ass look for everything...

This guy?

- spidey