Record Stores Going Out of Business

dpinderhughesdpinderhughes 1 Post
edited April 2016 in Record Collecting
I am writing an article about the death of the record store. I know about the big ones like Beat Street and Music Factory and anything in NY really but I'm sure this situation is going down all over the country. Does anyone know of any other DJ/hip-hop oriented stores that have bitten the dust in recent months?

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Respect records in Seattle. The dopest hip hop shop we had!

• I would have to give my utmost respect to anyone who keep a hip hop record store open. The shelf life of hip hop records is so short...as soon as the new joint comes along NOBODY wants "old"( a month old) stuff. Even classic joints are hard to shift. (A recent NY times article did a comparison of classic rock sales versus classic hip hop sales and the numbers were insane...Pink Floyd still sells over 10,000 copies a week, where as Public Enenmy only racks up about 400 copies a week) You have to be uber on top of your game to make a hip hop record store work. Shit your racks would be stuffed to the gills every two weeks with no where to put anything if you didnt order the right shit, or too much of the wrong shit.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I got lots from these dudes over the years. I hope their ebay biz will still be strong.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I would have to give my utmost respect to anyone who keep a hip hop record store open. The shelf life of hip hop records is so short...as soon as the new joint comes along NOBODY wants "old"( a month old) stuff. Even classic joints are hard to shift. (A recent NY times article did a comparison of classic rock sales versus classic hip hop sales and the numbers were insane...Pink Floyd still sells over 10,000 copies a week, where as Public Enenmy only racks up about 400 copies a week) You have to be uber on top of your game to make a hip hop record store work. Shit your racks would be stuffed to the gills every two weeks with no where to put anything if you didnt order the right shit, or too much of the wrong shit.

There's a shop in Berkeley called B-Sides that's strictly hip-hop. He seems to make a go of it. There's a similar shop in Concord which seems to only carry those Secret Weapon comps. I don't think it'll last much longer.

• gotta have that side hustle.

is Goin Federal still in Visitation Valley? this is 1995 im talking about, so im expecting the answer to be no.

• L.A. just isn't the same without Aron's Records... guess Amoeba moved in a little too close to their location for them to stay alive... i still miss that store.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I would have to give my utmost respect to anyone who keep a hip hop record store open. The shelf life of hip hop records is so short...as soon as the new joint comes along NOBODY wants "old"( a month old) stuff. Even classic joints are hard to shift. (A recent NY times article did a comparison of classic rock sales versus classic hip hop sales and the numbers were insane...Pink Floyd still sells over 10,000 copies a week, where as Public Enenmy only racks up about 400 copies a week) You have to be uber on top of your game to make a hip hop record store work. Shit your racks would be stuffed to the gills every two weeks with no where to put anything if you didnt order the right shit, or too much of the wrong shit.

There's a shop in Berkeley called B-Sides that's strictly hip-hop. He seems to make a go of it. There's a similar shop in Concord which seems to only carry those Secret Weapon comps. I don't think it'll last much longer.

The b-sides guy has carved out a niche for himself on line as a good source for bay area hyphy ish. I've ordered from them & was satisfied.

h

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There was a hip-hop store in Cambridge, MA called
    "Massive Records" that was open for around a year
    or so, and closed down around a year ago, maybe a
    little less. It was in the location of the old
    Second Coming Records, which had been there forever.
    I think the Massive guys may have reopened elsewhere,
    but I'm not sure.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    speaking about boston...biscuithead records was hiphop in boston. shit...fakts one ran the register. i copped so many of my hiphop records there in the 90's. they saw the writing on the wall years before Microwave laid waste to the hiphop onestop. RIP!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    biscuithead records

That was a cool spot - I got the nice double-LP
    Wild Style reissue there in the 90's...
    ...actually, there was a hip-hop store across the street
    from there, on the corner of Mass & Comm - Boston Beats?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I got lots from these dudes over the years. I hope their ebay biz will still be strong.

• biscuithead records

That was a cool spot - I got the nice double-LP
    Wild Style reissue there in the 90's...
    ...actually, there was a hip-hop store across the street
    from there, on the corner of Mass & Comm - Boston Beats?

Beat Non Stop. The second (?) location of the LA record store of the same name. I remember i used to roll up in there and rap to target- who held down the register at that spot. The LA one closed recently right? It ain't there anymore. Is the lady that owned that spot crazy?

• I am writing an article about the death of the record store. I know about the big ones like Beat Street and Music Factory and anything in NY really but I'm sure this situation is going down all over the country. Does anyone know of any other DJ/hip-hop oriented stores that have bitten the dust in recent months?

Is your story strictly on hip-hop and house/disco/electronica related shops?
    In DC we lost Cap City Records (hip-hop, house and drum and bass mainly) last year but the The DJ Hut (formerly 12" Dance Records) is still going strong on P Street.
    If you're taking all shops into account then Washington gained two shops in the last year (Som Records and Red Onion) and lost a few (Smash, Cap City, Revolution, Now! and Tower).
    Feel free to PM me if you want more detail.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

If I'm not mistaken (check me on this, Hank Scorpio), Great Lakes Music in Milwaukee closed not too long ago. Shit was a gigantic warehouse full of wax.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

The b-sides guy has carved out a niche for himself on line as a good source for bay area hyphy ish. I've ordered from them & was satisfied.

h

True but at least in store it's not even 5% of his inventory. They have a special Bay Area section with maybe 10 or 15 tops. Not counting the comps though. I'm actually a little disappointed that the Bay didn't come through with more vinyl pressings. Did Keak's Yadidimean even get a vinyl pressing?

My biggest worry about B-Sides is that they carter to a group always looking for the hottest and latest singles. A group that probably isn't loyal to vinyl in the first place and probably shouldn't be.

• heard Village Music in the N. Bay (mill valley) is closing after many many moons in biz...

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    This is only partially relevant, but Noise Annoys, a great punk rock record store in Toronto stocking mostly vinyl closed a few days ago. Not to mention the recent closings of other stores dedicated to punk rock and vinyl such as Reigning Sound in Hamilton and Hardcore Sounds in Orangeville. Always really dissapointing to see.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Well, speaking of Toronto. Isn't or didn't Play De Vintage close it's doors?

• choleracholera 101 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's going to be closing soon. Early 2007 from what I was told.

• you should definately check these guys out:

http://www.thealliancerocks.com/about/

eric's a straight up dude, and knows tons of folk all over the country -- hit him up if you got ?'s.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    heard Village Music in the N. Bay (mill valley) is closing after many many moons in biz...

Holy shit, really? When is it closing? I know that place has been picked over pretty well, but I still manage to find at least a couple good things every time I go there.

• heard Village Music in the N. Bay (mill valley) is closing after many many moons in biz...

Holy shit, really? When is it closing? I know that place has been picked over pretty well, but I still manage to find at least a couple good things every time I go there.

decent spot indeed. i think its closing by september or something...dude is going to just sell off final stock till then, apparently he's kinda bitter about the lack of local bizness...too bad. get it while ya can tho.

• more accurate info: cut n paste from blackcrack:

Another soon to be lost Black Crack institution. I lived in Mill Valley for
    six years and found more vinyl, knowledge and inspiration in this shop than
    all the other bay area stores combined. John has been a tireless proponent
    of roots music and a central figure in the bay area music scene for over 30
    years. He played a key role in bringing Howard Tate out of retirement and
    has been instrumental in fostering and promoting the careers of generations
    of musicians. Northern California is losing one of its most cherished and
    under-appreciated landmarks.

Forwarded from a friend:

Article last night in the IJ about villiage music in mill valley closing in
    the
    new year. The owner will be selling his "vast trove of vintage records and
    rock
    memorabilia over the next nine months and shutting his well worn dutch door
    for
    good at the end of september." Thought I'd let you know as there may be some
    pretty cool stuff to buy. The article says the shop is revered among rock
    music
    cognoscenti and collectors of rare and vintage vinyl records. The owner says
    that the store isn't supported locally anymore. "I'm going to spend the next
    nine months talking to people bemoaning the fact that I'm not going to be
    here
    anymore, and these will be the people who haven't bought anything here in 20
    years," he added. "There's going to be a big uproar about how sad it is that
    I
    am going away, but the uproar is going to come from people who don't shop
    here.
    If I sound a little bitter, its because I'm a little bitter."

• pppppppp 261 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's going to be closing soon. Early 2007 from what I was told.

What!!! Where did you hear this? Is this a fact?

• He (Village Music owner) has a point. If it wasn't for tourists and the occassional ebay auctions I'd have a real hard time keeping my store afloat. With a few exceptions its the foreigers and out of towners who buy my most expensive records.
    Mill Valley is lovely but its not exactly the Haight or North Beach as far as out of town traffic goes.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    heard Village Music in the N. Bay (mill valley) is closing after many many moons in biz...

decent spot indeed. i think its closing by september or something...dude is going to just sell off final stock till then, apparently he's kinda bitter about the lack of local bizness...too bad. get it while ya can tho.

i was just there last week and he put a letter in my bag explaining the situation. basically a combination of increased rent, low sales, and the "it's time" factor. pretty sad. that place is awesome.

• more accurate info: cut n paste from blackcrack:

Another soon to be lost Black Crack institution. I lived in Mill Valley for
    six years and found more vinyl, knowledge and inspiration in this shop than
    all the other bay area stores combined. John has been a tireless proponent
    of roots music and a central figure in the bay area music scene for over 30
    years. He played a key role in bringing Howard Tate out of retirement and
    has been instrumental in fostering and promoting the careers of generations
    of musicians. Northern California is losing one of its most cherished and
    under-appreciated landmarks.

Forwarded from a friend:

Article last night in the IJ about villiage music in mill valley closing in
    the
    new year. The owner will be selling his "vast trove of vintage records and
    rock
    memorabilia over the next nine months and shutting his well worn dutch door
    for
    good at the end of september." Thought I'd let you know as there may be some
    pretty cool stuff to buy. The article says the shop is revered among rock
    music
    cognoscenti and collectors of rare and vintage vinyl records. The owner says
    that the store isn't supported locally anymore. "I'm going to spend the next
    nine months talking to people bemoaning the fact that I'm not going to be
    here
    anymore, and these will be the people who haven't bought anything here in 20
    years," he added. "There's going to be a big uproar about how sad it is that
    I
    am going away, but the uproar is going to come from people who don't shop
    here.
    If I sound a little bitter, its because I'm a little bitter."

yo now this sucks...seriously. that was a great shop, some of my best digging "come-ups" came from that spot. Many a bowl was smoked on the way to this spot with HairyBelafonte & Jinx.

One of the few places i was pulling sealed albums from...

• speaking about boston...biscuithead records was hiphop in boston. shit...fakts one ran the register. i copped so many of my hiphop records there in the 90's. they saw the writing on the wall years before Microwave laid waste to the hiphop onestop. RIP!

yep, biscuithead was the #1 spot...which doesnt say a whole lot for boston record stores considering how small it was. newburry comics was actually a close second and tower records even had a decent sized inventory for a time.

• scenario records was one of the better hip hop-only shops in london and even it closed a couple months ago.

• He (Village Music owner) has a point. If it wasn't for tourists and the occassional ebay auctions I'd have a real hard time keeping my store afloat. With a few exceptions its the foreigers and out of towners who buy my most expensive records.
    Mill Valley is lovely but its not exactly the Haight or North Beach as far as out of town traffic goes.

This is the unfortunate truth. Aside from a few well-heeled and well-intentioned collectors in every city, Americans are not supporting their own local establishments. I hear the same shit from almost every shop owner/worker I talk to. A lot of the shops that "put all the good stuff on ebay" wish they could do it differently... but their customer base won't support the high end prices. Can you really blame them for following the money?

Guys, support your local shops. Even if that means losing some "digging props" because you didn't spend half a day and a full tank of gas to find a $15 record for $2.