Pinoy Funk?

cascade_mysterycascade_mystery 59 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
kumusta! any strutters up on the p funk?the only groups i know of aresoul jugglerswe incramrodsblackbusteri know theres a lot more anyone got recomendations?salmat

Comments

• Kumusta!

Interesting topic. I'm sorry I can't help you out, tho, but I'd love to know more about the bands you listed.

Peace,
    Pablo

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    kumusta! any strutters up on the p funk?
    the only groups i know of are
    soul jugglers
    we inc
    ramrods
    blackbuster
    i know theres a lot more anyone got recomendations?
    salmat

Of that list, I'm only familiar with Blackbuster. I'd also like to know more about the other groups you named - are they all Filipino groups or are any Filipino groups who recorded overseas (including Filipino American groups)?

Here's who I know:

Filipino Groups Who Recorded In the Philippines:

Bong Panera - mostly known for his Brazilian stuff - "Samba Song" is the jam if you're into bossa nova.

Bits N' Pieces - Manila-based rock group with a heavy American (and Bay Area) influence. (Pakora knows the deal)

Filipino Groups Who Recorded Outside the Philippines:

John Cadman Trio: Austrialia-based outfit with a stage band album feat. a cover of "Humpin" by the Bar-Kays.

Please: UBB, baby! Recorded in Germany?

At one point, someone had claimed the Impossibles were a FIlipino outfit out of Thailand but I actually think they were Thai.

Filipino American Artists:

Dakila: Stockton-S.F. represent. Latin Rock, post-Santana group with a Tagalog touch.

Flip Nunez: Pianist from the Central Valley who had a real nice funky tune off his "Time and Space" LP

Third Wave: 5 Pinay sisters out of Stockton, discovered by George Duke, recorded one album for MPS plus a fly little 45 (songs not on LP) including "Love Train."

Joe Bataan: Afro-Filipino batches.

Sugar Pie DeSanto: The Afro-Filipino original: git (you) sum.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    wow nice list oli.

blackbuster is more disco in my opinion but still pretty good.

the bong pinera is more jazz (or mostly jazz) with very little funk. hes got three LPs i think.

there are two joe cruz and the cruzettes LPs. latin funk covers.

a friend of mine who djs out in PI a lot just showed me a crate of filipino funk/jazz LPs. ill try and get a list of names... i knew about 5 of the records in the crate. the rest were completely unknown to me.

if it matters... there was a filipino musician in HP (hunters point) Riot and the lead singer for "The Ghetto" 45 that chris from groove merchant put out on the flip of the Deloris Ealy "Jerome..." 45 is filipino as well.

and speaking of dakila... my wifes cousins babys mommas dad was in dakila. i now have many meth stories and have heard unreleased material. fun times...

a friend of mine who djs out in PI a lot just showed me a crate of filipino funk/jazz LPs. ill try and get a list of names...

You talkin about Short?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    a friend of mine who djs out in PI a lot just showed me a crate of filipino funk/jazz LPs. ill try and get a list of names...

You talkin about Short?

yeah i was up at the shop while he was putting some records away and stuff up on the wall. just bugged out... he was telling me stories of cats he met and spots he dug out in PI.

You talkin about Short?

yeah i was up at the shop while he was putting some records away and stuff up on the wall. just bugged out... he was telling me stories of cats he met and spots he dug out in PI.

Yeah - me and Short rapped about the possibility of the Pinoy funk scene but this was before he started doing hardcore digging out there. I really want to know what he found out there.

• Could someone recommend decent digging spots in Manila? I'll be going there for three weeks in January... thanks!

• This ones alright, kinda discoish but cool. Recorded in Germany, though. I hear their first album is way better.

- J

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I used to own that Bits N' Pieces. I've only had the one lp, the red one with the footprints. It was nice, but I got it hoping for a rock lp. Sounds more like a generic Kool N The Gang or even a crappy Cane & Able. Don't get the wrong, the lp is nice and all, but I didn't want "funky" at the time of purchase. I'm sure at some point in the future someone will throw one of the cuts on a comp.. I tried to reissue it by getting at Bits N Pieces when they had that giant PINOY ROCK concert in San Fran a few months ago, but the promoter didn't hook me up with them

The only other "funky" philipino lp I have would probobly be "Conceious III" While the cover looked pretty psychish, it's more funky to me then rock again. Amazing, Amazing funky cover version of "Gimmie Shelter" (kind of James Brownish) on the s/t lp.

Everything else I have from that region is more rock/prog based.

I used to own that Bits N' Pieces. I've only had the one lp, the red one with the footprints. It was nice, but I got it hoping for a rock lp. Sounds more like a generic Kool N The Gang or even a crappy Cane & Able. Don't get the wrong, the lp is nice and all, but I didn't want "funky" at the time of purchase. I'm sure at some point in the future someone will throw one of the cuts on a comp.. I tried to reissue it by getting at Bits N Pieces when they had that giant PINOY ROCK concert in San Fran a few months ago, but the promoter didn't hook me up with them

The only other "funky" philipino lp I have would probobly be "Conceious III" While the cover looked pretty psychish, it's more funky to me then rock again. Amazing, Amazing funky cover version of "Gimmie Shelter" (kind of James Brownish) on the s/t lp.

Everything else I have from that region is more rock/prog based.

Titles!

And Moss: I hear you about the Bits N' Pieces not being the illest shit ever but personally, I think it's a better soul/funk album than many others I can think of - the singing is on point, more so than, say, a stage band album of American cover songs. That said, it's no East of Underground.

But what I mostly like about it is the fact that you can definitely trace some kind of transnational connection between it and band members who either traveled to the Bay Area or else had family there - I mean, they're covering Abel's "Musicmaker" and Tower of Power's "Sparkling In the Sand."

As for the members of the band now living in the U.S. - I think it's only the drummer who relocated here and started up Bits N Pieces out of Los Angeles but msot of the group members for the American version are new. I doubt Jay (the drummer) would have the power to reissue the LP...you'd have to hunt down the group's old manager (who still works as a promoter in Manila). Personally, I don't think the whole LP is worth reissuing (the market for it would be mad small) but I do think a song or two are worth comping.

In any case, can you say anything more about the Conceious III LP? I'd like to get some more info. Holla.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Heres a 45 I have by Anak Bayan. Not full on funk, but, ya know.

http://download.yousendit.com/B4DFA2A925EC3127

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Forgot to mention a Pinoy disco funk 45 I have

Solid Band - Walang Sigla b/w Funky Beat (Ace) pretty good.. ill put a clip up if yall are interested.

• Soul Juggler's ist album is very hard to find here in manila, it's more of a disco ewf type ish though.. check out THE ADVISORS, another funky band from the 70's but also rare. also VST & co, Ella D. and some joe bataan philippine comps.

check out this dude's blog..he's the one who hooked up short with the diggin spots here in manila

www.beatraveler.multiply.com

• Some of my pinoyjazz and funk finds

Surprising - 3-4 years later and it still seems there isn't much of a Pinoy soul/funk record scene to talk about OR no one's discovered it. Which would be kind of weird/astounding when compared to say, Thailand and Indonesia, both of which have been the recent focus of interest.

• i agree. IMO it's probably because most of the pinoy soul funk records were not pressed as many as the Thai's and Indo's. But there were great Pinoy soul funk records back in the 70s including the very scarce SSS Koffee on 45s (which until now is unknown to many Filipinos), Regalado with his infamous Pinoy Funk and the Pinoy Jazz 1 & 2 which were dope for its breaks and my all time fave Now Batukada - Bong Penera's Back up band headed by Boy Katindig on Rhodes.

afr0filipino said:
    i agree. IMO it's probably because most of the pinoy soul funk records were not pressed as many as the Thai's and Indo's. But there were great Pinoy soul funk records back in the 70s including the very scarce SSS Koffee on 45s (which until now is unknown to many Filipinos), Regalado with his infamous Pinoy Funk and the Pinoy Jazz 1 & 2 which were dope for its breaks and my all time fave Now Batukada - Bong Penera's Back up band headed by Boy Katindig on Rhodes.

What's up with Now Batukada? I think my friend is related to Katindig actually...

In any case, is it actually the case that the Philippines record industry wasn't pressing as many records as in Thailand or Indonesia? It's not like the PI were that far behind in their economic development in that era.

In any case, what I've heard of Pinoy funk is really more like disco (Justin made the same remark earlier) which raises some questions as to why disco (but not necessarily earlier American dance genres). Folks can youtube search for Soul Jugglers to see what I mean.

• mannybolone said:

What's up with Now Batukada? I think my friend is related to Katindig actually...

In any case, is it actually the case that the Philippines record industry wasn't pressing as many records as in Thailand or Indonesia? It's not like the PI were that far behind in their economic development in that era.

In any case, what I've heard of Pinoy funk is really more like disco (Justin made the same remark earlier) which raises some questions as to why disco (but not necessarily earlier American dance genres). Folks can youtube search for Soul Jugglers to see what I mean.

Pinoy Disko is how they were called, band such as Soul Jugglers, Advisors, Howlers, Black Opinion etc including the Manila Sound from VST & Co., Cinderella, Hotdog to Blackbuster records.

Now Batukada is more of a Jazz group rather than funk with their Pinoy Jazz renditions of Philippine Traditional Music using flutes, horns, rhodes, percussions ala - slower grooves of Ju-Par Universal Orchestra IMO.

• Strutters can also check on SSS Koffee - Gogoy on youtube and Regalado - Pinoy Funk . You guys might like em'. :feelin_it:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've heard some pretty dope stuff to come out of the Philippines but finding records there seemed completely impossible. I visited my wife's family there 2 yrs ago and couldn't find a single record any where. Almost three weeks and didn't even get any serious leads. I expected to come back with some heat, NO LUCK.

• Breez said:
    I've heard some pretty dope stuff to come out of the Philippines but finding records there seemed completely impossible. I visited my wife's family there 2 yrs ago and couldn't find a single record any where. Almost three weeks and didn't even get any serious leads. I expected to come back with some heat, NO LUCK.

aw that's sad. but i must agree, pinoy funk/soul/jazz records are close to impossible to find now a days. btw there's a spot in Makati called "Bangkal" wherein there were some dope finds every once in a while.. it's a street full of thrift shops that caters old stuff from furniture to vinyl. try diggin on that place when you get back.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    afr0filipino said:
    Breez said:

aw that's sad. btw there's a spot in Makati called "Bangkal" wherein there were some dope finds every once in a while.. it's a street full of thrift shops that caters old stuff from furniture to vinyl. try diggin on that place when you get back.

Thanks for the info. I was staying in San Juan and then across the street from Green Hills mall. That mall had everything. I thought for sure someone there would have found some wax. I'm going back, hopefully, this summer but we're gonna hit Japan for a few days before. Hope I don't blow all my money Japan.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Anybody know this one?
    Attached files

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    These two tracks are good examples of Filipino funk

SMACK ??? Isang Halik Lang (Rock Baby Rock OST)
    http://aseam.info/archives/131

Blackbuster ??? Shack Up
    http://aseam.info/archives/136

• Anyone heard this Rico Puno album?

What You See Is What You Get
    Fence Walk

• IFB said:
    These two tracks are good examples of Filipino funk

SMACK ??? Isang Halik Lang (Rock Baby Rock OST)
    http://aseam.info/archives/131

Blackbuster ??? Shack Up
    http://aseam.info/archives/136

you can also try these...

SSS Koffee - Gogoy

Regalado - Pinoy Funk