The Modern Soul Recommendation List

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited October 2017 in Strut Central
I'm always on the look out for moder soul recommendations. I don't care if its dollarbin common or thousanddollargrailraer I'm all about hearing some shit thats beautiful and new to my earsAs of late I've been digging

give me some more stuff to clamour for
TAGGED:

Comments

• D-train - " Your the one for me"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    D-train - " Your the one for me"

great one. I didn't pik this up until a couple months back. Kicked myself for passing it up for so long.

Lets keep this list going

anybody else loving that 2nd Valentie Brothers LP from '81?

• Beverly & Duane on Ariola is truly a consistant album to me.
    First Love "Love at First Sight" a couple of good tracks.
    L.J. Reynold's "Same" must have!!
    Barbara Lynn "You Don't Have to go"
    Johnny Bristol "Free To Be Me" great great!
    Perfect touch "touching you" 2nd press is not expensive.
    Milt Matthews on H&L great little cheap lp. also the rare timothy wilson on same label is great to me.

just a few random picks. and I don't even know where to start off with the 45's.......

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Jay-Z - Kingdom Come

• I just ran into one of these. Pretty good record.

also feelin':

SONIC

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
     Just bought the 1983 Nick Straker LP on ebay, that's also a really nice one!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What is Modern Soul's cut off years?

I was watchin' VH1 soul and they play a video by a cat named Suave. Late 80's Beige blazer R&B w/ minor Hip hOp touches w/out being New Jack Swing. My homies mom got this album as a promo back then. I dismissed it back then, but ill have to borrow it it re-evaluate. He had one lukewarm single.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm always on the look out for moder soul recommendations. I don't care if its dollarbin common or thousanddollargrailraer I'm all about hearing some shit thats beautiful and new to my ears
    RAER!

Lately, I've been enjoying these:

I think you're familiar with some, if not all, of these, though...

SG

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

also feelin':

never seen this before, is this a 70's or 80's joint? What record label?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I'm not familiar school me to this
    an absolutely beautiful cover of Donny Hathaway's "Someday we'll all be Free"!

I need to stop being cheap and just cop one of these on Ebay. I was hoping to find one locally but after about a year of looking no luck.
    about 4 or 5 years ago I gave this away to Danno just for the hell of it. and now...I kick my face

been recommended this before ut I've never heard it do you think you can waxiderm it?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

so slept on

there is so much niceness on this album yet it sits in dollar bins everywher just gathering dust

• I know you dont do 45s Guzzo, but this is a killer...

• I can really recommend this one even though it might not be as much "modern soul" as the ones mentioned above because it's from 1978

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I recommend you toss all the records in this thread back in the "nobody gives
    a shit bin" where they were before. You remember like 6 years ago when we called
    records like this wack, not "modern soul".

This record is my shit! "Before I Let Go"=GAME OVER!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

so slept on

there is so much niceness on this album yet it sits in dollar bins everywher just gathering dust

Good call on this one. I'd been looking for "When Love Calls".

Is Barbara Weathers featured here or the Sharon Bryant?

• so slept on

Somebody told me that Newban was essentially Atlantic Starr. All their stuff is pretty dope. Been bumpin

Future Flight
    Spunk
    David Hooper
    Sounds of Little Rock
    Shake
    Brief Encounter

• also feelin':

I have this, it's on Prelude white label from 1977..some good cuts on there.

• One that people seem not to know is The Tones - Here's To You on the Criminal label, 1983. It's out of Maryland, but I only seem to find it in Jamaican collections here in New York. Never turned one up in Baltimore.

It's really good - I recall Moerer having it at one point but other than that I've never seen it for sale. I've had a few and sold them for around $30. Tough to turn up but probably won't be expensive as nobody seems to know it.

• Rene & Angela Self/titled....people on here seem to mention "wall to wall" more often. maybe cause it was sampled.....

David Ruffin "Gentle Man Ruffin" is da shit also to me.

Co-sign on the Rena & Angels S/T joint.

This Lp has a Rene & Angela cover(Love's Alright) along w/ Inside Out. Decent.

• also feelin':

I have this, it's on Prelude white label from 1977..some good cuts on there.

Yeah, 'All Around My World' is a nice track from there, Bill Brandon, Silk, Lorraine Johnson are all worthy soul albums

• also feelin':

dudes went on to have something to do with the aleems i think...
    i have been trying to get this for years now....always evades me.

top of the list for me is :
    spade brigade/ im your man ........best ever,nothing beats this for me.

garden of eden / everybodys on a trip........is dope
    manhattans/let you love come down 12"
    d.j rogers/ love brought me back 12"
    harden bros/ deep inside you
    garfield fleming/ dont send me away
    beloyd/ all day today
    darryl douglas/ holdin on ( borders on boogie...not too much jherri curl juice tho)
    so many out there

alot of the pics posted are more boogie to me.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

• Wynde Chymes is nice the other LP with Festival is Nice well at leat that cut... To many to name

But you can never go wrong with any Cameo or Bar-Kay's Hit and Run just for fun!

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

A friend of mine recommended that LP to me, I'm glad I've bought a copy. Killer 1983 LP on Fantasy. Those guys were also members of Bill Summers & Summers Heat. You should get a copy of this if you find one. 

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

A friend of mine recommended that LP to me, I'm glad I've bought a copy. Killer 1983 LP on Fantasy. Those guys were also members of Bill Summers & Summers Heat.

Yep, that's the LP. Good one. Private Eye also had a hand in producing 2 artists on the Oakland indie label LoveJoy back in the mid-80s: Chas and Jean Terry. The Chas LP (not the ChaZ LP on Zanzibar that is currently on CD), from what I've heard and seen on-line, is a killer boogie LP that goes for a good amount when it pops up. The Jean Terry LP, which I found on a recent vacation to Asia, of all places, is fairly decent.

That Stevens and Sterling LP is an old fave of mine.

Been digging this Lamont Dozier album lately as well:

Not one of LD's better albums, but it does have a killer Rene and Angela track ("Love Me To The Max") on it as well as the underrated "Fly Away Little Birdsong." From 1979.

SG

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I really like the first track on the Booker T. Jones LP "Try and Love Again". And the Gemini 45 "you've got something special" on M+M

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    threads like this are why I still keep coming back to soulstrut. Thank you to everyone knowledgable enough and kind enough to give me some tips.

I found a unplayed double fo that Tomorrows Edition in a vietnamese liquor store yesterday right next to the canned soups. If anybody needs it hollar at me.

as for the rest of the LP's in that picture I have all of them except Jakky boy (actually I have doubles of the rest). Is the Jakky 80's or 70's? I'm used to most Salsoul having more of a disco beat but there are some great moder joints there as well. can you give me a description of the LP's sound?