The Douchebag Musicians' Hall Of Fame

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk
True musicial douchebags are a special breed. I define this term as "Pretentious, Obnoxious Prick (with sugar on the side)." IMO, a douche is not solely an asshole (Dave Davies, Lou Reed), clown (Weird Al Yankovic), or dork (John Tesh), but may consist of healthy portions of each.

Bonus points are awarded for attracting a special audience, specifically the tie-dyed/Land Cruisered set. The fine line of douchebaggery inspires debate and deserves a special thread on the Strut. This is not yet a proper brick-and-mortar, but with elbow grease, divine guidance, and a little faith, it will eventually see daylight.Inaugural inductees:

Solo Effort (or, Solo Effort Within A Group):

1. (Sir) Paul McCartney
  2. Ray Manzarek
  3. Billy Corgan
  4. Morrissey
  5. Bono

Group Effort:

1. Steely Dan

Most Promising Newcomers:

1. John Mayer (with and without Trio)
  2. Ariel Pink

Genre:

1. Meaningful Adult Alternative
  2. Modern Cracker Blues

No Longer Worthy Of Consideration:

1. Ryan Adams (see: Asshole Hall Of Fame)

Keep in mind, folks: a Douchey induction is not necessarily an artistic condemnation.

For example: Paul McCartney wrote many fine songs, but is nonetheless a Douchebag.Additionally: In which town should this Hall reside? Do female Douches exist?

Add thoughts, postulations, and your own additions.

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    billy joel should be disembowled as well as glen danzig
    and since he does have a cd on warp-king of all douchez----Vince "microdik"Gallo

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Without a doubt... that f*#k Dave Matthews.

tjames

• Jimmy Buffett, and all his parrotheads.

• Lars Ulrich

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Pete Townshend
    Bob Dylan
    John Klemmer

• Sammy Hagar.
    Fred Durst.
    Sean Puffy Diddy Combs

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    not solely an asshole (Dave Davies, Lou Reed)

Ray was the one who tried to trade Dave to some gay count for a castle.

Perhaps this is another subject unto itself, but does anyone else not really care or expect favorite artists to be "good people"? Personally, I am usually deeply affected by the music of fiendish junkies and horrible self-destructive drunks. I would certainly not want to be friends with these people, but I love their music. It is vital and chock full of emotion. I don't really sit around and ponder whether or not these people are "buddy material".

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    not solely an asshole (Dave Davies, Lou Reed)

Ray was the one who tried to trade Dave to some gay count for a castle.

But did you read "Black Monk Time?" The account of DD and a pre-teen fan (esp. in '65-'66) is pretty despicable.

Perhaps this is another subject unto itself, but does anyone else not really care or expect favorite artists to be "good people"? Personally, I am usually deeply affected by the music of fiendish junkies and horrible self-destructive drunks. I would certainly not want to be friends with these people, but I love their music. It is vital and chock full of emotion. I don't really sit around and ponder whether or not these people are "buddy material".

I don't expect anyone to be anything. And I've never met John Mayer. But if you're a douche, you're a douche. It's not Deep Thoughts Theatre or Mysteries of the Unknown.

• Benny Goodman

I guess I'm just not comprehending what makes someone a Douchebag, as opposed to a garden variety not such a nice guy.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Jesus. I explained all this in my first post.

Are you two dudes wearing pleated pants?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm saying.

If this is a distinction you struggle with, then you probably don't belong on SoulStrut.

Oh, and: Keith Jarrett

If this is a distinction you struggle with, then you probably don't belong on SoulStrut.

Well, I've probably never belonged on Soulstrut - but, the musical ignorance, hypersensitivity, and lack of any collective sense of humor just keeps me coming back.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Well, I've probably never belonged on Soulstrut - but, the musical ignorance, hypersensitivity, and lack of any collective sense of humor just keeps me coming back.
    why you gotta diss reynaldo like that?

• Without a doubt... that f*#k Dave Matthews.

As a listener, I was always more annoyed with his fans than him... but I don't read people magazine, so I could have missed something.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

As a listener, I was always more annoyed with his fans than him... but I don't read people magazine, so I could have missed something.

I was making small talk with a business partner once and she started going on about how fabulous Dave Matthews was. I just about had to slap the women to death. I though dude had fallen into a gutter or joined a church only to discover he's more popular than ever. How do they market performers like him which allows them to maintain such relevance while still being completely off my radar. It's similar to country music. I never hear it or see it advertised anywhere but it's huge! Being disconnected isn't always a bad thing.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I was making small talk with a business partner once and she started going on about how fabulous Dave Matthews was. I just about had to slap the women to death. I though dude had fallen into a gutter or joined a church only to discover he's more popular than ever. How do they market performers like him which allows them to maintain such relevance while still being completely off my radar. It's similar to country music. I never hear it or see it advertised anywhere but it's huge! Being disconnected isn't always a bad thing.

To start, I heartily cosign that Dave Matthews' music is pure doo doo. But I will stick up for
    him because; reportedly everyone in the band gets an equal cut of all proceeds. I've also
    heard that he is a really cool guy (nice, friendly, not a weirdo). He lives in a modest house in
    modest area here in Seattle. So the verdict is...
    Nice guy, lame music, lamer fans.

I've also heard that John Mayer is a world class A-hole.
    My friends wife works at some super healthy raw food joint
    in LA and says he is by far the worst human to darken their door.
    Which is saying something since famous folks of all sorts come rollin' through.
    Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols is her favorite customer.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Lars Ulrich

Thank you.

like a motherfucker.

pretentious little weasel. fuck that dude.

yes, im mad doggie. fuckin jumped up little Napoleonic, wannabe icegrill wearin, receading hairline havin, stubby little T-rex arm havin, no sense of humour multi millionaire, great drummer.

awwwwww shit.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    How do they market performers like him which allows them to maintain such relevance while still being completely off my radar. It's similar to country music. I never hear it or see it advertised anywhere but it's huge! Being disconnected isn't always a bad thing.

I think there's a weird 'not marketing' or every once in a while marketing thing that's worked for Dave Matthews. Sure he'll have a video or magazine ad pop up here and there, but there's never a real onslaught when something new comes out. This makes him cool for the high school, frat, college set because they can like him and drown in their own fandom without feeling like he's too cool. It keeps them trying to catch up and feel like their on the inside when they get a new rumor, but you can still get his whole discography at FYE.

His fans annoy the hell out of me, but he made Tim Reynolds a lot more accessible.

Dave Matthews is a prime example of what is good and ultimately destructive in the entertainment industry. They are a bunch of guys who used to play in bars and now they are an empire. That's gonna be for better or worse in every instance of this happening. i think it's amazing they've held up for this long. Sure the money is great, but at some point i think the fanfare has to take over in some way. i know with Phish...errr, i mean my cousin told me that, with Phish the fans (phans if you wanna be technical) had something to do with the eventual deterioration of the band. There were so many games, inside jokes, statistics, and demands going on to not cause a boil over.

Wow, i am really rambling. Just avoiding the beginning of another work day i guess. Resume.

• Without a doubt... that f*#k Dave Matthews.

To start, I heartily cosign that Dave Matthews' music is pure doo doo. But I will stick up for
    him because; reportedly everyone in the band gets an equal cut of all proceeds. I've also
    heard that he is a really cool guy (nice, friendly, not a weirdo). He lives in a modest house in
    modest area here in Seattle. So the verdict is...
    Nice guy, lame music, lamer fans.

I've also heard that John Mayer is a world class A-hole.
    My friends wife works at some super healthy raw food joint
    in LA and says he is by far the worst human to darken their door.
    Which is saying something since famous folks of all sorts come rollin' through.
    Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols is her favorite customer.

I spent a little time in Charlottesville VA where the band is from and word on the street is that dude is a fucking perv and likes his girls very young.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    hootie blows dead fish

kenny g

kiss

bon jovi

pearl jam

green day

offspring

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I'm saying.

Oh, and: Keith Jarrett

I struggle with this distinction. Phil Spector, douchebag. Donald Fagen, douchebag. Wilson Pickett, douchebag. Sam Cooke, douchebag. Paul McCartney is simply annoying - not really obnoxious, pretentious or a dork. Just irritating.

OR is this just artists you don't like? In which case, Keith Jarrett and Pat Metheney get top honours.

• I nominate a female artist.

Cat Power.
    her fake-ass Francoise Hardy "Im gonna cry at the microphone" shit while complaining that people arent listening to you play...she is just pretentious as hell, and her music is VERY underwhelming, especially with all the drama doo-doo that surrounds it.

Crap.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    courtney love is a douchebag...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I nominate a female artist.

Cat Power.
    her fake-ass Francoise Hardy "Im gonna cry at the microphone" shit while complaining that people arent listening to you play...she is just pretentious as hell, and her music is VERY underwhelming, especially with all the drama doo-doo that surrounds it.

Crap.

Jesus thank you so much. What a piece of shit.

True musicial douchebags are a special breed. I define this term as "Pretentious, Obnoxious Prick (with sugar on the side)." IMO, a douche is not solely an asshole (Dave Davies, Lou Reed), clown (Weird Al Yankovic), or dork (John Tesh), but may consist of healthy portions of each. Bonus points are awarded for attracting a special audience, specifically the tie-dyed/Land Cruisered set.

The fine line of douchebaggery inspires debate and deserves a special thread on the Strut. This is not yet a proper brick-and-mortar, but with elbow grease, divine guidance, and a little faith, it will eventually see daylight.

Inaugural inductees:

(Sir) Paul McCartney
    Ray Manzarek
    Billy Corgan
    Morrissey
    Bono

Group Effort:
    Steely Dan

There has to be a point where you factor in the quality of their recorded output. Most of the above artists have contributed or created some of the best music ever. Seems like you're going strictly on personality. Then you should add Miles Davis and Charles Mingus. See?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    True musicial douchebags are a special breed. I define this term as "Pretentious, Obnoxious Prick (with sugar on the side)." IMO, a douche is not solely an asshole (Dave Davies, Lou Reed), clown (Weird Al Yankovic), or dork (John Tesh), but may consist of healthy portions of each. Bonus points are awarded for attracting a special audience, specifically the tie-dyed/Land Cruisered set.

The fine line of douchebaggery inspires debate and deserves a special thread on the Strut. This is not yet a proper brick-and-mortar, but with elbow grease, divine guidance, and a little faith, it will eventually see daylight.

Inaugural inductees:

(Sir) Paul McCartney
    Ray Manzarek
    Billy Corgan
    Morrissey
    Bono

Group Effort:
    Steely Dan

There has to be a point where you factor in the quality of their recorded output. Most of the above artists have contributed or created some of the best music ever. Seems like you're going strictly on personality. Then you should add Miles Davis and Charles Mingus. See?

Agreed. Likewise, Sam Cooke and Wilson Pickett have no place on this list.

The idea should be that the artist's music cannot begin to justify their behavior.

And I think dudes are giving meanness far too much weight here; I don't think it's nearly as important as corniness.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

No Longer Worthy Of Consideration:
    Ryan Adams (see: Asshole Hall Of Fame)

Add to that list: Scott Stapp aka That Dude From Creed. I'm not sure what was more obnoxious, his music or his personality. The last I heard he was picking a fight in a hotel with 311 on Thanksgiving for god's sake. That dude truly was a douche.

• Sam Cooke and Wilson Pickett have no place on this list.

courtney love is a douchebag...

Additionally: In which town should this Hall reside?

Any Californian town that ends in "Beach," (with few exceptions, among them Long Beach). Laguna Beach would be a good place to start.

Or Mill Vallley

(sorry dude, but I happen to know the Steely Dan fan concentration is high over there).

And we can't forget about this dude:

Sam Cooke

on that note. i was listening to Cooke's biographer on Fresh Aire. interesting story about how he died.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4982687