Aretha Franklin "One step ahead" (Youtube related)

frankynipplezfrankynipplez 410 Posts
edited March 2016 in Music Talk

I dont know if this was already posted, but this just made my day..such a beautiful song, and this must be some raer ass footage, I just had to share..enjoy!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I dont know if this was already posted, but this just made my day..such a beautiful song, and this must be some raer ass footage, I just had to share..enjoy!

Dude, this is amazing. I don't know anyone who even owns a copy of the original 45 yet they had footage of her performing it?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Where's the mic?

• I don't know anyone who even owns a copy of the original 45...

Great clip! the reason "one step ahead" is hard to get on a 45 is that the other side ("i can't wait to see my baby") is a big northern, worth $150 in manship. it can be found on a seven inch sampler that has six cuts and plays at 33 and-a third, but it's kinda lo-fi.

• Thanks for posting.

• I don't know anyone who even owns a copy of the original 45...

Great clip! the reason "one step ahead" is hard to get on a 45 is that the other side ("i can't wait to see my baby") is a big northern, worth $150 in manship. it can be found on a seven inch sampler that has six cuts and plays at 33 and-a third, but it's kinda lo-fi.
    Wow, I didn't know the 45 was that raer! I do have that track on that comp that came out on Colombia of some of her early work from 1960-1967..I wonder if that Northern tune is on there too?

Franky, the A-side song is "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face." It is NOT on the same "Greatest Hits" LP as "One Step Ahead."

• Franky, the A-side song is "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face." It is NOT on the same "Greatest Hits" LP as "One Step Ahead."

sorry, mr. wang, but i pulled the title from the Manship book and he probably abbreviated it for brevity.

Franky, the A-side song is "I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face." It is NOT on the same "Greatest Hits" LP as "One Step Ahead."

sorry, mr. wang, but i pulled the title from the Manship book and he probably abbreviated it for brevity.

I wasn't quibbling over the song title. I was just responding to the fact that neither song on the 45 - from the best of my knowledge - appeared on any Columbia LP with the exception of "One Step Ahead" on the Greatest Hits LP folks know about.

• no problem.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    for what it's worth if you search the "wait until my baby..." title on allmusic they have some comp lp called "Take A Look" (Columbia 9554) from 67 that apparently has them both. But then we all know how accurate allmusic can be......

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    for what it's worth if you search the "wait until my baby..." title on allmusic they have some comp lp called "Take A Look" (Columbia 9554) from 67 that apparently has them both. But then we all know how accurate allmusic can be......

Yeah, when I originally went hunting for that song after I came up with that as well. The record doesn't contain the song however. It might be on a European pressing, or a CD, but not on the American version which can be pretty easily found in stores.

• really great post.
    Man I love youtube...especially when stoned.
    ketan

• Where's the mic?

heh, in the studio with the band?

This is still awesome, even if she was lip synching.
    This song is perfection.

• really great post.
    Man I love youtube...especially when stoned.

Dude, I dont even watch TV anymore(Dutch tv sucks!!)
    And after reading the HBO thread i just downloaded "The Wire" season 1-3.
    All in need is a big bag of weed, and I'm all set..Internets rules!

• yeah, this clip is beautiful! As luck would have it I just listened to Ms Fat Booty an hour ago

• This song is perfection.

, it's like a dagger

• for what it's worth if you search the "wait until my baby..." title on allmusic they have some comp lp called "Take A Look" (Columbia 9554) from 67 that apparently has them both. But then we all know how accurate allmusic can be......

Yeah, when I originally went hunting for that song after I came up with that as well. The record doesn't contain the song however. It might be on a European pressing, or a CD, but not on the American version which can be pretty easily found in stores.

The 45 was uk only. The a-side is great also IMO.

• The 45 was uk only. The a-side is great also IMO.

Nah, there was a U.S. release on Columbia (cat. #43241). I've bid on it several times, but again it goes for stupid money coz of the Northern side. i do have the six song seven inch with "One Step Ahead", however.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Wow. I had never heard this song before seeing this performance (which in an odd twist I first saw on O-Dub's blog which sent me back over here which is where he first saw it), and I really think it's great.

Do we have any more information about the circumstances of this performance? Year? venue? purpose? audience? I'd love to know more about this performance, and whether there are others like it I should look for on youtube or elsewhere.

Thanks again for posting this track. Aretha was so cute when she was younger.

Best,
    JRoot

What I've always wanted to know is how the song ended up on a "Greatest Hits" comp of her Columbia years despite the fact that it wasn't even on a US album. Makes me wonder if perhaps - this performance, whatever it was - may have played a role?

• Comments from the dude who posted this video on youtube:

Does anyone know another girl singer who did this song?
    I've got a clip of a black girl singer, twenties, with a 3 guy backing group doing a fantastic version...
    if I can manage to convert it I will post it up

Any Strutters know the deal on this?

I'll try and post up I Can't Wait To See My Baby's Face very soon, recorded around the same time as this

Can't wait till he posts this stuff!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I like your thinking on this Mr. O-Dub. Either this performance of this song played a role in it becoming one of Aretha's "Greatest Hits" on Columbia or the American DJs saw through all that northern soul nonsense and cut straight to the flip (isn't obscurity upon issue one of the four elements of northern soul?), but since I don't think it was a chart hit, I doubt it's the latter.

The audience looks like young professional whites. is this somewhere in LA? New York? can't be Detroit, can it?

give us your surmise, soulstrut.
    JRoot

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What I've always wanted to know is how the song ended up on a "Greatest Hits" comp of her Columbia years despite the fact that it wasn't even on a US album. Makes me wonder if perhaps - this performance, whatever it was - may have played a role?

One Step Ahead, was Aretha's 6th Billboard R&B hit reaching #18 in 1965. It was #116 pop. Am I now required to footnote Joel Whitburn?

I don't think Columbia put too much thought into their hit packages. Aretha only had 9 R&B hits for Columbia, two of those were after she left the label. She only had one top 40 pop hit for Columbia, even though they marketed her as a pop singer.

I am betting that this clip is from a British TV show, '65. I assume, since it is lipsynced, that this is the 45 version. Was it a pop hit in England?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

One Step Ahead, was Aretha's 6th Billboard R&B hit reaching #18 in 1965. It was #116 pop. Am I now required to footnote Joel Whitburn?

No, just footnote Joel W***.

Excellent bit of news on the chartage. Maybe our limey friends can help us out with sourcing the footage, assuming any of them are still around over here.

Limeys?
    JRoot

• first.. i'm a manly man. But that was beautiful. Look how she smiles the whole time. The little ice skating like movements she makes. They really don't make them like they used to.

plus check all the other stuff that user has..

• there were a lot of teen shows like this on from '64 to '67. this looks like it could be Hollywood A Go Go. Shebang and Shivaree are two others around during that time. All of these shows originated in Los Angeles. It does not look to be from either one of the two biggest national music shows: Shindig or Hullabaloo.

there were a lot of teen shows like this on from '64 to '67. this looks like it could be Hollywood A Go Go. Shebang and Shivaree are two others around during that time. All of these shows originated in Los Angeles. It does not look to be from either one of the two biggest national music shows: Shindig or Hullabaloo.

• The 45 was uk only. The a-side is great also IMO.

Nah, there was a U.S. release on Columbia (cat. #43241). I've bid on it several times, but again it goes for stupid money coz of the Northern side. i do have the six song seven inch with "One Step Ahead", however.

I should have wrote...I'm almost certain it is a Uk only. I could have sworn.

The 45 was uk only. The a-side is great also IMO.

I should have wrote...I'm almost certain it is a Uk only. I could have sworn.

I dunno mang, this is looking mad U.S. promo to me:
    http://24.97.64.20/Abeze_Pics/imagegallery.php?image=01-7568.jpg&tagid=7568&url=imagesizelg.php

• thanks for the link!
    dope stuff there...