a little easier to find...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Because it's sought after by collectros
    from around 5 different "genres."

Those "Exotica" dweebs sucked them all up
    in the early 90's

Isn't Animated Egg the same record? That's

But -- It's a fucking 101 Strings record!

• Because it's sought after by collectros

in the early 90's

My parents had that 101 string records. It had a totally different cover on it (i'm pretty sure I have a double of it..i'll check)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I think the word got out with the old man crowd that the record was not 101 strings related. The only ones who bought it were "Disconnected from the VFW". It's a hard pull. I bought mine, I like the cover and the music. I always keep the faith of finding one in the field amongst schlock, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    T.N.

in the early 90's

Are you swimming in copies of Moon Gas?

in the early 90's

Are you swimming in copies of Moon Gas?

my memory recalls an acquisation of that in A-1

I've only seen Astro Sounds once.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Ave A flea market.

• There was a shop (more of a warehouse) that's now closed, and it had shelves upon shelves of 101 Strings LPs. One trip out there I took it upon myself to look through them all to see if they had any Astro-Sounds. They did not. I always check out 1/2 Price Books in the easy listening section, but have not seen one.

There is one at a local shop on 'The Wall'. It's been on the wall for a while. I may finally have to cave and pick it up. Maybe.

• I got mine from a 40 something Filipina woman that I used to work with at the Washington Post. She was moving and sold me all of her records for cheap. There were probably 20 good records in the collection including that one. Never seen another "in the wild" before or since.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Because it's sought after by collectros

in the early 90's

The stores that stocked 101 Strings got pissed when they started getting 'weird' so they went back to their old tricks

I'm betting a lot of these became pavement/landfill because they certainly didn't sell

• used to see that shit on the regular when i worked at reckless mid-late 90s (pre-ebay).

cut chemist flipped it real nice for edan's "torture chamber" remix.

• Umm.. nope, Torture Chamber remix is pretty much just arranged loops from The Feedback. I think this is the exact record as The Animated Egg record (but is probably 100 times easier to find than said record). What othet good shit sounds like this, there is never enough!

• Umm.. nope, Torture Chamber remix is pretty much just arranged loops from The Feedback. This record is the same as the Animated Egg record.

sounds like one of the same tracks... but i guess so if its the same record.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think this is the exact record as The Animated Egg record (but is probably 100 times easier to find than said record).

I feel like the Animated Egg turns up more than this one -
    partially because there are a lot of European pressed Animated
    Egg LP's as well - But even in the US I have seen a few Animated Eggs
    over the years but only 1 ASFRBY2000.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Astro sounds and animated egg are not exactly the same music.

follow the link I have in this review and there is a good article on it...

http://waxidermy.com/2006/05/17/black-diamonds-a-tribute-to-jimi-hendrix/

took me 8 years of looking to find an astro sounds. Got one on GEMM for $28 a few years ago.

Hah - so Astro Sounds is the same tracks as Animated Egg,
    but with orchestration and effects ... well, that's cool, but it
    also means that when I thought one was enough, I actually need both

I actually need both

the black diamons is exactly the same as animated egg, but usually goes for less than half the price. But yeah, Astro sounds is just plain tough. I've seen one at a record show for $125 about 2-3 years ago, and a dude I knew had one that he claimed to have found for 99 cents. that's it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm not sure that there are really any common 101 strings. Just a whole lot of undesirable ones. I feel like I see one I have never seen before all the time. I have not found one that compares to this, but there are some others worth picking up. Any with that Guru song.

Dan

I have the "Plays Billie Holiday" one.

101 Strings plays "Sounds Of Today" is another cool one. I've found it about a dozen times, so it's gotta be more common that Astro sounds

• I'm not sure that there are really any common 101 strings.

The Soul Of Spain was the biggest, Billboard-chart wise, and that is definitely, for me, the one that always crops up more than the others.

I feel like I see one I have never seen before all the time.

The 101 Strings catalog was INFINITE; there's always gonna be some title you never saw previously.

Does anyone have this one:

MODERN SOUNDS
    "Famous Songs of Hank Williams" 1969 (Alshire S-5136)

This is probably the most ridiculous of all of the 60s exploito albums, and that's saying a lot. The album cover tells the whole story: "Famous Songs of Hank Williams; a return trip with Modern Sounds; with exciting vocals; in modern rock-acid sound." These words surround a photo of a hippie girl feeding red and blue sugar cubes to a horse. The liner notes appear to have been written by a marketing agent who's never actually heard rock and roll. The songs, which are very well played, transform Williams' compositions to organ-heavy rock-soul, kind of like what the Detroit Wheels would sound like if they replaced Mitch Ryder with a country singer and added a fuzz-happy guitar player. The fuzz on "Your Bucket's Got A Hole In It" and "Long Gone Lonesome Blues" is truly wonderful, and a few songs have effective raveups. Side two is better than side one, so stick with this and you're in for a heap of fun. The back cover notes say "the whole idea of this album is to bring Hank's great music to the modern young generation," but it's more intriguing to imagine this album bringing red and blue sugar cubes to the geriatric country music generation.

I'm sorry, but this sounds awesome. Just the cover alone!

• I found [bigdude]BOTH[/bigdude] of my copies of ASTRO-SOUNDS at two different NC flea markets for $2 each. Mint. Traded one for a bunch of bollywood records off Bluesnag. Good times.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Never seen Astro Sounds once. Finally bought Animated Egg last month off a strutter, pretty cool record. It seems like its only a half hour long or some shit is my only complaint.

• 101 Strings plays "Sounds Of Today" is another cool one. I've found it about a dozen times, so it's gotta be more common that Astro sounds

Yo...I'mma do something "cool". I'mma dig that record up and play it for my folks and see what they thought of it and see their recactions when I play it for them today.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Does anyone have this one:

MODERN SOUNDS
    "Famous Songs of Hank Williams" 1969 (Alshire S-5136)

This is probably the most ridiculous of all of the 60s exploito albums, and that's saying a lot. The album cover tells the whole story: "Famous Songs of Hank Williams; a return trip with Modern Sounds; with exciting vocals; in modern rock-acid sound." These words surround a photo of a hippie girl feeding red and blue sugar cubes to a horse. The liner notes appear to have been written by a marketing agent who's never actually heard rock and roll. The songs, which are very well played, transform Williams' compositions to organ-heavy rock-soul, kind of like what the Detroit Wheels would sound like if they replaced Mitch Ryder with a country singer and added a fuzz-happy guitar player. The fuzz on "Your Bucket's Got A Hole In It" and "Long Gone Lonesome Blues" is truly wonderful, and a few songs have effective raveups. Side two is better than side one, so stick with this and you're in for a heap of fun. The back cover notes say "the whole idea of this album is to bring Hank's great music to the modern young generation," but it's more intriguing to imagine this album bringing red and blue sugar cubes to the geriatric country music generation.

I'm sorry, but this sounds awesome. Just the cover alone!

Seen it. That one is hard too.

101s worth picking up for a track or 2:
    Movies - Shart
    Sounds Of Today - Ode To Billie Joe, California Dreamin', Karma Sitar
    Today's Sounds - Different label and cover with above songs and Strings For Ravi
    Hits By The Beatles - Blues For Guru maybe some of the other above songs.
    Hits By Webb & Bacharach - Look Of Love
    Sounds Of Love - Je'ta Amie with the voice of playboy centerfold Bebe Bardon and a great gatefold cover.
    Hits by Gladys Knight & Stevie Wonder - Living For The City
    Hits Of Today - Sock It
    Soul Hits - Les Baxter did the arrangements

Please add on.

Sounds Of Love - Je'ta Amie with the voice of playboy centerfold Bebe Bardon and a great gatefold cover.

doesn't this one have like a full nudie mag cover or something? seems like I saw it on eBay once...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Movies - Shart
    Sounds Of Today - Ode To Billie Joe, California Dreamin', Karma Sitar
    Today's Sounds - Different label and cover with above songs and Strings For Ravi
    Hits By The Beatles - Blues For Guru maybe some of the other above songs.
    Hits By Webb & Bacharach - Look Of Love
    Hits by Gladys Knight & Stevie Wonder - Living For The City
    Hits Of Today - Sock It
    Soul Hits - Les Baxter did the arrangements

Please add on

I don't know man, thats already way more 101 than anybody should own!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Movies - Shart

bukake ost raer?

• This is all abou the famous Mr.Mueller from germany aka Miller. He founded these budget lables and pushed around those tapes to all his european budget lables.

He was the founder of the german lable EUROPA which today is realy famous for being a kids record lable.

But in the 60s and 70s they did some nice records. One of them is the Animated Egg from which Public Enemy sampled for the track "Are you gonna go our way"

This record goes for about 12 Euros on german ebay every week. Right now there are 4 vinyls and 1 CD to get on german ebay.

This was written in one description of those ebay auctions:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    LA session pro Jerry Cole has recently confirmed that the original tracks were laid down during sessions for the Id "Inner Sounds" LP on RCA in 1966, then later sold to Alshire. A European pressing exists on the Europa label. These tracks, and others from the same sessions, appear on several LPs credited to different artists including: "Young Sound '68"; 101 Strings - "Astro-Sounds"; Bebe Bardon & 101 Strings - "The Sounds of Love"; Black Diamonds - "A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix"; Haircut & the Impossibles - "Call it Soul"; Generation Gap - "Up, Up an Away", and the jawdropping, Modern Sounds - "Famous Songs of Hank Williams"
    -------------------------------------------

So thats what I heard too, the Black Diamonds LP got a lot of track that are on this record too.

I got that record its realy nice and I read somewhere else that Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim took some parts of a track for one of his beats.

There are 11 Jeff Cooper LPs on german ebay right now. The go for cheap too.

Now to this record:

It was re-issued and should be easy to get now.
    This is the lable who did the vinyl re-issue 1 or 2 years ago. These are the same guys who are doing Vinyl Vulture and Blaxploitation.com

Peace
    Hawkeye