Kraut Fusion/Psych/Prog reccomendations

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Been listening to Embryo:s Surfin and some Can stuff and just bugging out on how tasty that shit is. Could you dudes reccomend similar krautish albums that are on par and along the same lines.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    While we're on the subject, I'd like some Jap recomendations. Japrock, Japprog, anything Jappy or Jappish.

Also looking for Yidfunk, Frogbreaks, Bogtrotter loops and Chink Emo.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Only one I can think of off the top is Release Music Orchestra.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    almost every german kraut or prog group recorded great first albums (mostly 1967 to 1973). amon d????l, petards, embryo, soul caravan, krokodil (swiss band?!), ton steine scherben (yes, even those dudes recorded nice kraut and prog), the early kraftwerk (dope!!!), i drive, frumpy, ash ra temple, i really like some efforts by emergency (great jazzy funk rock with superb singers), etc...

tons of good bands. i would recommend checking the early albums first. those were the best days for prog and kraut.

A lil' dude question for Grope:
    Do you consider Niagara to be in the same genre as the bands that you just mentioned?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

i only like two or three songs by that band. but their records are definitely worth a listen! their early records are currently overpriced, so watch out! i see those records for around 15-20 euros over here.

i only like two or three songs by that band. but their records are definitely worth a listen! their early records are currently overpriced, so watch out! i see those records for around 15-20 euros over here.
    Which ones? I spent 50 USD for Catch The Ball about 4 years ago.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a mix i made:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/25421126/psyche_mix.mp3

Neighb'rhood Childr'n-Long Years In Space
    Quatermass - Punting
    Ufo - Unidentified Flying Object
    THE_GRODECK_WHIPPERJENNY__Put Your Thing On Me
    IOTA__RIP
    McDonald And Giles -Tomorrow's People
    Pax -Exorcism
    Manfred Mann - Snakeskin Garter
    PHANTASIA__GIVE LIFE ANOTHER TRY
    Sapphire Thinkers - There's A Woman
    DEVIANTS__?
    Stone The Crows - Ode To John Law
    Jim_Sullivan-U.F.O
    Impala Syndrome - New Love Time
    Arzachel - Queen St Gang
    Patto - You, You Point Your Finger
    Annette Peacock - pony
    Darius - DON_T_YOU_FEEL_ME
    Secos e Molhados - Delirio
    Ghetto Brothers-03-Got This Happy Feeling
    Elektriktus - Electronic Mind Waves
    The Love Depression - Gon??na Ride
    Neon Pearl - Urban Ways

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    A lil' dude question for Grope:
    Do you consider Niagara to be in the same genre as the bands that you just mentioned?

yes. although most of the niagara musicians were coming from jazz (niagara didn't have a fixed setup though)... but other prog/kraut bands too.

You will find Niagara either in the Jazz or Prog/Kraut sections over here.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some favorites of mine

Achim Reichel and Machines "Echo"

Brainticket "Cottonwood Hill" (ok, they are Swiss/Italian, but get the passport stamp of Krautrock Approval apparently)

Harmonia "Deluxe"

Guru Guru "Der Elektrolurch" (kind of a "greatest hits")

Embryo "Steig Aus"

the aforementioned debut of Ash Ra Tempel

Gila "s/t"(aka Free Electric Sound)

Yathra Sidra "A Meditation Mass"

Agitation Free "Malesch"

Neu s/t and "2"

Faust "so Far" and "IV" (their most poppy and commercial, but very good IMO)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Which ones? I spent 50 USD for Catch The Ball about 4 years ago.

all of them. currently left one behind for 20 euros. can't remember which one though. i think the one with the white frame on the fron cover. and a friend of mine just bought one for 20 in portugal. an early one. probably their first.

50 USD is still ok though, i think... i've seen copies online for 50 GBP

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    unfortunately i missed to record a tv show earlier this month. the german rock night. started to show live performances by all of those great german prog/kraut bands. i made it through 1968 to 1974... and fell asleep later on...

i'll upload some photos later on...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Future Days is a must from Can.

Faust the BBC Sessions.

You should also check out neu!, and Michael Rother's solo album that Jaki Liebzeit plays drums on.

Same vein, but a different game= That African funk band that Eno produced a record for.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Brainticket "Cottonwood Hill" (ok, they are Swiss/Italian, but get the passport stamp of Krautrock Approval apparently)

Embryo "Steig Aus"

YES!!!

i really like the very early records. they tried to play some soul too.
    i was kinda surprised by frumpy's version of "indian rope man" and emergency's live appearances (very very very very very good band - best one i've seen - way better than most can stuff)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    here are some pictures from that krautrock/prog/rock night on a german tv channel. unfortunatley, i started to take pictures after all the good acts played. and i couldn't record that show. my bad!

early Kraftwerk playing drums, guitar and flute:

frumpy playing indian rope man:

another band:

in the meantime there were two good movies on other channels (They Call Me Mr. Tibbs and a weird UK thriller from the 60s with great music):

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

I heard the album once in a record store in munich but dude wanted 30???. Price czech? Also, what is the og press of this? US or UK? US i think, or? Dope, erm, phat music...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    some favorites of mine

Harmonia "Deluxe"

Embryo "Steig Aus"

the aforementioned debut of Ash Ra Tempel

Gila "s/t"(aka Free Electric Sound)

Yathra Sidra "A Meditation Mass"

Agitation Free "Malesch"

Neu s/t and "2"

Faust "so Far" and "IV" (their most poppy and commercial, but very good IMO)

Some good ones here^^^

I'd also add Early Kraftwerk (first 2 with the cones), Almost anything on OHR/Pilz (popol vuh, cosmic jokers, etc), Cluster 2, Amon Duul II (up to yeti)...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    You will find Niagara either in the Jazz or Prog/Kraut sections over here.

To this day, I've never seen one of their records in the field over here...

also check out Rufus Zuphall from my hometown, they were actually part of that rocknacht thing on the German tele...interviewed the guitar player a few weeks ago. dude was superrelaxed and they still perform...there first one "weiss der teufel" is dope, but not available...OG's go for more than 150??? always...

I heard the album once in a record store in munich but dude wanted 30???. Price czech? Also, what is the og press of this? US or UK? US i think, or? Dope, erm, phat music...
    McDonald and Giles goes for approximately 15-25 USD.
    I'm 99.9% sure that the OG is out of the UK.
    Yes, it is DOPE!

• This is my shit right here..Lately,when people have asked what type of stuff I'm into I've been responding with something like "ya know that spacey krautfusionpsychyproggy sound"

Annexus Quam-both albums are ungodly but more of atripped out jazzy sound.

Xhol Caravan-yes,beats,soul,kraut,psych...yes

Dzyan-all 3

Gila- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (this one crushes their 1st imo)

Kollectiv

Haboob=

Sameti

Morpheus-Rabenteur (fusiony)

Munju-High Speed Kindergarten (frantic yet tight fusiony weatherreport on caffeine and chocolate)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    two more:

Dies Irae (EXTEREMELY NICE!!!)
    Wonderland (tripped out)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

soul caravan is even better. very very nice music and lots of soul. a great band!

Munju-High Speed Kindergarten (frantic yet tight fusiony weatherreport on caffeine and chocolate)

More Jazz than Prog, but definitely a cool album. I missed to buy it last month. There were two copies at one place... but i was broke.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This is my shit right here..Lately,when people have asked what type of stuff I'm into I've been responding with something like "ya know that spacey krautfusionpsychyproggy sound"

Annexus Quam-both albums are ungodly but more of atripped out jazzy sound.

Dzyan-all 3

Gila- Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (this one crushes their 1st imo)

Kollectiv

Good Shit! That Munju lp is very underrated.

I'll add

Nothing like their later output. Distorted Organ and fuzz freakouts
    Some of the vocals are , but overall a heavy listen.

The title track is as is the rest of this. Spacykrautfolk?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

ok, now i'll buy the copies i've seen! but it's more likely Jazz, right?

some people seem to like space guerilla by missus beastly on schneeball (same label as munju). but i can't get into it. although there are some nice moments.

• right on, i haven;t heard of 95% of this stuff. keep the hot tips coming....

• Yathra Sidra "A Meditation Mass"

This is an excellent album. Recently picked up a reissue of it and it instantly became one of my favourite kraut albums. Trippy, spacy flutes and moogs over percussions with some jazzy parts. Originals seem to go for a couple of hunded dollars.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    some people say that staff carpenborg ("fantastic dance party" lp on maritim) tried to sound like Can, but i can only disagree. the staff carpenborg lp is quite cool, but there's no way he tried to sound like Can. i'm talkin about that record, because you might like the staff carpenborg too. sounds a bit like a stripped down vampires of dartmoore or science fiction dance party version.

i agree on the pilz label. although there are some pretty stressful records on pilz.

Virus is kinda nice. one lp on pilz, one on BASF.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Everyone in this picture looks mentally ill.

- J

• Neither of these are German but I like Head - Blackpool Cool, also recently got the 1st Banco Mutuo Soccorso LP from an NY strutter and really liked it. The first is Scottish I think and the second Italian... but both are good prog (which is rare, IMO).