Astrud Gilberto Under-/Unappreciation

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
Is it just me, or did she write/sing some of the most boring songs ever? I'm sure she's a lovely person, and I like her daughter's music, but I have yet to hear a song from her that's elicited anything more than a yawn from me.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    she has a beautiful voice, but i can see what you mean. i still appreciate!

• disagree. go relisten to getz au go go. when i hear Corcovado it's like she's reaching right thru the speakers and squeezing the chill pressure point in my brain.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    disagree. go relisten to getz au go go. when i hear Corcovado it's like she's reaching right thru the speakers and squeezing the chill pressure point in my brain.

Yeah, gotta go ahead and disagree with ya on this one. She is like a Brazillian Julie London to me....able to deliver a song with style and not much vocal power.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Is it just me, or did she write/sing some of the most boring songs ever? I'm sure she's a lovely person, and I like her daughter's music, but I have yet to hear a song from her that's elicited anything more than a yawn from me.

I saw Bebel Gilberto play at Irving Plaza in NYC... started off great, she's all sexy and shit, but after a while it turned into a bit of a snooze and I wondered if I wasn't just trying to appreciate wack muzak. I think A Guy Called Gerald fell asleep at the back of the stage.

The Oo-la-la factor works in her favor though. Ditto for the mother.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Cosel,

Normally, I agree you on most things. Here's our first point of departure. I enjoy Astrud's music because it is mellow and soothing. Since I'm sort of a hyper cat, her music helps to put me into a nice coolout sense of calm. She serves up nicely with a glass of Henn, and Sam Smith (Oatmeal Stout) to chase, on Friday evening.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Saw a bunch of her CD's at the store yesterday. Can't stand her music, but she look FINE.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sam Smith (Oatmeal Stout)

and I just got her LP "1969" the other day, it was the best I've heard by her yet, although I kinda like the band on it more than her singing, 'specially on a nice long version of Chicago's "Beginnings"

Shit, she even made me like a song from Paint Your Wagon!!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i love astrud. very mellow music for chillin to. stein. . .

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Astrud Gilberto Now, on Perception, 1972, Deodato produced. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hi D******,

you in LA yet?

oh and I am declaring myself a real head for knowing the deal

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Astrud Gilberto Now, on Perception, 1972, Deodato produced. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL.

take it easy my brother Charlie

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

All hail Stan Getz because without him Astrud would never have become the star she is. I like a lot of her stuff but I don't think she can sing any more than Nico could hold a tune for the Velvet underground. Both made iconic music but neither would have got there on their own, IMO.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

I saw Bebel Gilberto play at Irving Plaza in NYC... started off great, she's all sexy and shit, but after a while it turned into a bit of a snooze and I wondered if I wasn't just trying to appreciate wack muzak. I think A Guy Called Gerald fell asleep at the back of the stage.

The Oo-la-la factor works in her favor though. Ditto for the mother.

For the record, Astrud is not Bebel's mom. Sexy singer Mi??cha is.
    She got the name from her pops, Joao Gilberto.

oh, and I dig Astrud's (and Bebel's) stuff.

one of my favorites, off the Deodato produced CTI lp w/Turrentine...

Ponteio

and the remix of "Lights Camera Action" I did off that a while back - which comes in half way through...

Ponteio w/Cheeks

found this from an interview online...

Bebel's strong lineage of musicians and artists extends beyond her father. She is a relative of Chico Buarque. Her mother Miucha (not to be confused with Astrud Gilberto, Jo??o's first wife and the voice of "The Girl From Ipanema") is a great singer herself. "People got a little mad when they discovered that my mom wasn't Astrud, which makes me even more pissed off because my mom was a great singer also. Of course I love Astrud, and Astrud is great, but my mom is my mom, you know?"

• Astrud Gilberto Now, on Perception, 1972, Deodato produced. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL.

I just got this in the shop, and I think it will go home with me. This shit is awesome.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    gingele is crazy........love love love that song.

that album is seriously slept on, perhaps we can pull a "people hold on" for it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I love Astrud. Something about her rather flat phrasing that is so damn sexy. She's no Elis Regina though. I've seen Bebel live several times (Mrs. Fatback is a fan.) and it was so very ehh. And the records are extra ehh.

• oh, and I dig Astrud's (and Bebel's) stuff.

one of my favorites, off the Deodato produced CTI lp w/Turrentine...

Ponteio

YUP! Out of all the versions that are out thur I love her's the most. I need to cop your CD Paul. Amoeba SF gonna get any in?

COSELMED:

How can you enjoy's Bebel's shit and not Astrud's? Bebel's shit is like the archytype for boring fusion restaurant background crap. Not picking on you but "dammit man".

AND WORD ON "BROTHER CHARLIE" SHIT IS PIFFY VON PIFFERSON

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

COSELMED:

How can you enjoy's Bebel's shit and not Astrud's? Bebel's shit is like the archytype for boring fusion restaurant background crap. Not picking on you but "dammit man".

I don't even know why this thread was revived...I POSTED WHILE DRUNK back in May and my words have come back to bite me in the ass.

But seriously, I don't even like Bebel that much, mostly the remixes.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    zazueira is the sheit

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    THIS should change your minds about Astrud. You might need to listen to it twice, but it's a damn fine song with great arrangements. Wait until it kicks in; it's impossible to hate when it hits the bridge.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I love Astrud. Something about her rather flat phrasing that is so damn sexy.

Agreed.

• 'Goodbye Sadness' with W. Wanderly on organ is a great one as well.