Hitchcock and Hitch influenced films

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited February 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
dogs yesterday was alfred hitchcock's borthday so there was a marathon on cable tv.I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much for the first time (the remake) and this shit was i loved this scenewtf? i hope i never have to catch a dead guy by the face and have that happenWhat are you favorites? my all time favorite is The Birdstake that tippi hedrenI also interested in modern hitchcock-influenced films that are well done (no m. night) so drop some knowledge if you have some

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Brian De Palma has often been accused of apeing Hitchock's style although I don't see it. Regardless see Blow Out for a very Hitchcockian movie. Excellent film.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Brian De Palma has often been accused of apeing Hitchock's style although I don't see it. Regardless see Blow Out for a very Hitchcockian movie. Excellent film.

Blow Out is my fave De Palma film. There are a lot of blatant (and acknowledged) Hitchcock bites throughout his films. There's a scene in Body Double where the protagonist is tailing the girl he thinks is Melanie Griffith, and which is a straight jack of the scene from Vertigo where James Stewart is tailing Kim Novak, and Body Double itself is pretty much a rework of Rear Window. Then you've got Michael Caine's serial killer in drag from Dressed To Kill, which is an echo of Norman Bates in Psycho - there's even a similar shower scene in there as well.

Hitchcock is to movies what James Brown is to sampling - everyone's taken a little bit, even if they don't realise it. The "dolly-out/zoom-in" shot in Vertigo (most famously jacked by Spielberg for Jaws) has become a cliche in its own right.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I like DePalma's work, but I think he copped the style more than the substance. Claude Chabrol's filmography does more for me in that department.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Rear Window is my particular fave while I believe Shadow Of A Doubt always remained as Hitchcock's own favourite work.

The Machinist bares quite a few similarities to some of Hitchcock's stylings.

If you can get the Truffaut book "Hitchcock" do so... tis great.

extra: I remember reading once that Hitchcock loved Smokey And The Bandit hehe

bonus:

another film hmmmmmm semi Hitchcock inspired is the delightful "Charade" with Cary Grant, it might still be in the public domain ie FREE to download. A very funny witty and excellent watch.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Strangers on a train. The scene where he strangles her at the amusement park and its filmed as the reflection in her glasses knocked to the ground. And, the tenis scenes filmed at the old Westside tennis stadium in Forest Hills.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Being from San Francisco, I'm all about the "Vertigo."

SG

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Rear Window is my particular fave

"Swimming Pool" and Woody Allen's "Match Point" are two relatively recent and relatively Hitchcock-esque movies worth seeing.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    P.S. Don't forget this killer thriller:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    NbyNW is my favorite, although its been a minute since I saw it so I should really probably check it again. Lets just say its a CLUB BANGER. They really need to scale back the cornfield-airplane parodies though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    First off, BIG cosign on Chabrol - dude does Hitchcock better than
    anyone else - and, like Hitchcock, has been making films for 50 years
    now...If you aren't up on him, Au**ey, check out some of his early
    60's stuff, it's almost uniformly excellent.

Fav Hitch flicks:

Notorious
    Vertigo
    Psycho
    Saboteur
    Foreign Correspondent
    39 Steps
    Lady Vanishes

etc

etc

etc

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    bonus:

another film hmmmmmm semi Hitchcock inspired is the delightful "Charade" with Cary Grant, it might still be in the public domain ie FREE to download. A very funny witty and excellent watch.

nice. thanks. shadow of a doubt is messed up. i love how nothing is sacred and relatives can be the villains

my top 5 favorite hitchcock scenes: (this site is great for comprehensive hitchcock stills)

1) The Birds

When the fam thinks they're safe in the home and the birds bumrush them through the fireplace

2) The Birds

The apocalyptic everything in flames bird frenzy climax triggered by a unfortunate chain of events

3) Vertigo

That spooky scene where he's spying on her at Fort Point and she seems like a ghost

4) Rear Window

The scene where he's looking through the telephoto lens and Perry Mason sees him watching him. That is the "holy shit, you are a dead man" moment.

5) North by Northwest

plane chase scene obviously. totally unexpected and scary.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The thing that amazes me with "Rear window" and that ilk of films is that they're just based on one great idea. Instead of all these new scripts where they try to fit in too much, they're just so comfortable with telling a good story in the best possible way. I sound like the film buff equivalent of the serato hater, so I'll stop whining now...

Wow, that still site is great!

Here's my favorite scene from Hitchcock:

Strangers on a Train - When Bruno kills Guy's wife on the island -
    the entire scene is chilling, but the shot reflecting the murder in her fallen
    glasses has stayed with me since childhood.

Also, speaking of Rear Window, I saw this just-restored
    raer Film Noir at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge a few weeks ago,
    called Pushover ... it starred Fred MacMurray and Kim Novak,
    and was excellent - Interestingly enough, it came out just a few
    months before Rear Window yet shared many of the same themes!
    Most of the film involved MacMurray & partner Phil Carey as cops on
    a stakeout, watching Kim Novak's apartment through binoculars from
    an abandoned apartment across the courtyard ... through the course
    of the film, Carey becomes obsessed with her next-door neighbor, whom
    he finds himself watching all night, musing over way of living and eventually
    meeting and hooking up with her... now, the Hitchcock was of course based
    on a Woolrich story, and was being made at the same time, so it's not like
    Hitch ripped it off or anything ... but you can be sure he saw the film,
    as it was Kim Novak's debut, and everyone knows how he went for those
    icy blondes!

Also, speaking of Rear Window, I saw this just-restored
    raer Film Noir at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge a few weeks ago,
    called Pushover ... it starred Fred MacMurray and Kim Novak,
    and was excellent - Interestingly enough, it came out just a few
    months before Rear Window yet shared many of the same themes!
    Most of the film involved MacMurray & partner Phil Carey as cops on
    a stakeout, watching Kim Novak's apartment through binoculars from
    an abandoned apartment across the courtyard ... through the course
    of the film, Carey becomes obsessed with her next-door neighbor, whom
    he finds himself watching all night, musing over way of living and eventually
    meeting and hooking up with her... now, the Hitchcock was of course based
    on a Woolrich story, and was being made at the same time, so it's not like
    Hitch ripped it off or anything ... but you can be sure he saw the film,
    as it was Kim Novak's debut, and everyone knows how he went for those
    icy blondes!

never heard of this one before I love Mr. MacMurray in Double Indemnity so I will have to go seek.

never heard of this one before I love Mr. MacMurray in Double Indemnity so I will have to go seek.

Yes - I would like to think the restored (by UCLA) print of
    this and the other films in the series means that they are
    coming out on DVD ... I hope ...

"Nobody Lives Forever" was

• My favorite Hitchcock. Loosely loosely based on a true story that involved two homosexual lovers that killed a friend.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Yes! I feel like it doesn't come up as often as it should in these discussions.

Yes! I feel like it doesn't come up as often as it should in these discussions.

I have not seen Rope in ages this is the one shot in a series (3 or 4) of continuous long shots? well some are cleverly edited.

Irreversible takes this idea. Any other films like that?

• My favorite Hitchcock flick is Psycho. It seems like at least once a year I go on a bit of a Hitchcock kick and I'll want to watch a bunch of his films in a short amount of time. I've watched recently:

- Shadow of a Doubt
    - The Lodger
    - Rear Window
    - The Man Who Knew Too Much (remake)
    - The Lady Vanishes

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I like DePalma's work, but I think he copped the style more than the substance. Claude Chabrol's filmography does more for me in that department.

Ha! I designed that DVD cover.

I thought the movie was pretty boring though. Maybe I should revisit.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Cosign on DePalma, with an extra shoutout to his Italian contemporary Dario Argento, another big Hitchcock devotee. HIs early giallo thrillers like BIRD WITH CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, DEEP RED, and FOUR FLIES ON GRAY VELVET have a lot to offer to Hitch fans, as well as those who just dig stylish early-70s Euro cinema. Also excellent for those who like lots of blood and violence towards women.

• Fav Hitch flicks:

I'm sorry.

• When it comes to Hitch influenced films, Dominik Moll's "Harry, un Ami qui Vous Veut du Bien" (english title: "Harry, He's Here to Help") from five or six years back is sort of a must. His latest film "Lemming" is supposed to be really good to, but I haven't seen that one.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    bonus:

Yes it's like a mid sixties Hitchcock played a little more for laughs - love that film.

Fav Hitchcock would have to be Vertigo but have a lot of time for his Brit flicks, particularly The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes. Also, special mentions for Notorious which is a superb example of hiding a love story within a thriller and Spellbound which is just great on every level and has the famous Dali dream sequence as well.

Noone ever gives any love for Marnie. While it's a pretty uneven piece the actual story themes are about as raw as nasty as you get. You get the feeling that Hitch was properly exacting some revenge on Tippi in that one.

• Notorious is my favourite out of all of Hitchcock films, and Hitchcock himself actually claimed that it was the one closest to his heart. And I agree that Marnie is overlooked and very interesting.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Ha! I designed that DVD cover.

I thought the movie was pretty boring though. Maybe I should revisit.

Damn! Nice work!

The film is definately flawed and not one of his "major" ones, but I think it's a brilliant take on the "Rear Window" voyeur theme.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    my faves are probably Psycho (obvious, but damn it doesn't get much better) Notorious, and Rebecca (no one else has love for this film??).