West African Record Hunt - Safari To Sierra Leone

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited February 2016 in Record Collecting
Just got back from another record digging trip down here in West Africa and thought I'd let you guys in on some tropical digging adventures:We started out from Conakry in Guinea and hit the infamous Conakry-Freetown Highway. Since we are now in the middle of rainy season, most of the gigantic potholes have turned into lakes and when aproaching them, there is no telling of how deep and how steep the gap will be... Guinea and the West of Sierra Leone has about 4 meters of rainfall each year, as compared to about 0,8 meters in Germany (where it alreaday rains a lot) and all this comes down within 3 to 4 months, the rest of the year there is no rain at all.This was the mother of all potholes that took of our licence plate, lucky enough, Thierno was able to find it without having to dive for it...Amazing Warehousefind in the city of Kenema:On the road from Bo to Freetown we bought some bushmeat for dinner, yummie!!!:Here's a selection of some of the finds, amazingly the vinyl on all of these turned out to be at least VG+ or better, most of them just have a lot of ringwear due to being moved around from time to time with dust and sand between them, luckily none of that stuff had entered the sleeves...sadly, there's no chance for me to upload any audio, the connection is just too slow...

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Wow, beats my trip to the goodwill this weekend. Although I did hit a few pot holes on the way there.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

File under: What Meistro should have been doing on his day off in Tanzania.

• Wow, thats some great finds. I still hope to come and visit you guys down there...

Dress

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

I'm dying slowly... That's unfair...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I'm hella jealous, you must've had an incredible trip.
    Peace
    T.N.
    PS Don't eat bushmeat.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Don't eat bushmeat.

Bushmeat is great!
    Naturaly, I stay away from monkeys and apes but anything that resembles venison or antilope (spell??) tastes great and doesn't give me any ethical problems. One of the best meats I ever had was "Grasscutter" some sort of gigantic bush-rat that grows to be larger than a beaver, stays in their homes in the thick bush during the day and comes out at night to eat -you guessed it, grass. The locals told me that they stake out their feeding grounds during the day by finding their droppings and other traces, than at night they surprise them and stunn them with bright fires and knock them over the heads with big clubs. Well worth it, they're juicy, sweet and tender!

• File under: What Meistro should have been doing on his day off in Tanzania.

More accurately, what I should have done during my SEMESTER in Ghana...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    totally wicked looking. Please reissue some of this stuff so we can all hear it!!!!!

• Bushmeat is great!
    Naturaly, I stay away from monkeys and apes but anything that resembles venison or antilope (spell??) tastes great and doesn't give me any ethnical problems. One of the best meats I ever had was "Grasscutter" some sort of gigantic bush-rat that grows to be larger than a beaver, stays in their homes in the thick bush during the day and comes out at night to eat -you guessed it, grass. The locals told me that they stake out their feeding grounds during the day by finding their droppings and other traces, than at night they surprise them and stunn them with bright fires and knock them over the heads with big clubs. Well worth it, they're juicy, sweet and tender!

Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I'd never know, 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker ask Frank!

• Oh and NICE finds!!
    That funkees LP is heavy, yes?
    Did you not buy the ebo taylor??

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Oh and NICE finds!!
    That funkees LP is heavy, yes?
    Did you not buy the ebo taylor??
    The Ebo Taylor is the "tribal" looking record with the titel "CONFLICT" and "NKRU" to the right just above the Funkees LP. It's amazing and actualy a double already. when I cleaned up my first copy, the labels came off and revealed generic whitelabel/testpressing labels which said "artist:" and "titel:" I could not find any information on it, best track is called "Victory". The Funkees is heavy although the slightly overambitious highpitched vocals spoil most tracks but there is at least one real bomb on it with vocals in a lower key that I will play out.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I???d never know, ???cause I wouldn???t eat the filthy motherfucker ask Frank![/b]
    Don't know actualy... and I wouldn't want to try.
    In my experience, the taste of meat is mostly influenced by the nutrition of the animal it comes from. One of the main reasons I would never try human flesh, at least not once they've outgrown the stage of breastfeeding...
    (just kidding!!!)
    But for sure a reason to prefer a healthy bush rat to mass produced beef or pork any day of the week!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Wow man

This is great. Such a good way to spend a vacation and such a good place to spend it.

those records look fucking incredible.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    One of the main reasons I would never try human flesh, at least not once they've outgrown the stage of breastfeeding...(just kidding!!!)

No you're not!!

Great to see the pics Frank - thanks for posting 'em. Looks like quite an adventure. That pothole reminds me of

But why hasn't anybody commented on your Soul Explosion Champs Fist shirt?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Sweet photos! I know folks who are gonna be plenty jealous.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

it may be sorta wrong to get jealous of african record finds that were actually found in africa. Its one thing if he came up at some brooklyn goodwill, but to actually get out there.. well, to me you are entitled to all you can find if you are driving down the dirt roads in Sierra Leone!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I being one of them.

I would love to go that part of the world and the records would just be a bonus for me.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

I'm still suffering in silence...

• Wow, that's killer Frank. Wonderful pics and stories!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    frank-

what an adventure...
    before, you were the faceless "enforcer" dealing with the infamous Hector Mantequilla.

now, i know the sea of made you would wade through in search of the true soul explosion sound.

stay safe and enjoy your time in conakry.

oh.... and check your email.

• oh.... and check your email.

Couldn't see that one coming!!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I'm still suffering in silence...

at least you're not alone.

There needs to be a green with envy raerface.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    WOW

I AM JEALOUS

Do you have more photos?????? please

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

But why hasn't anybody commented on your Soul Explosion Champs Fist shirt?

One day, I just came accross this fabric on the local market. Naturaly, I was stunned to say the least, it's just too much of a coincidence.

I think the fabric is from Nigeria, I wonder where they found the design.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Do you have more photos?????? please

I always take the camera with me but almost never take pics. afterwards I get mad at myself but when in the situations where I should take a pic, I always am too excited to think about the camera... plus people around here don't like to have their picture taken in many cases. As friendly and great the general people are, as vicious, moneyhungry and corrupt is (almost) everybody with a uniform. If you're inside of cities you can easily end up with a hefty fine or even in prison just for handling a camera as taking pictures of government buildings (could be a shack with someone wearing a uniform in it), bridges and army or poliece personel is strictly prohibited. It's also especialy hard to explain people the concept of a digital camera and why you can't just hand over the film...

This was already my 4th trip to Siera Leone and the first one I took pictures.
    Sunday I'll leave on a 10 day trip to the cities of Coutounou and Porto Novo in Benin, the only country in the world where Voodoo is the official state religion, practiced by around 80% of the population... I promise to post some pics once I'm back

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Sunday I'll leave on a 10 day trip to the cities of Coutounou and Porto Novo in Benin, the only country in the world where Voodoo[/b] is the official state religion, practiced by around 80% of the population... I promise to post some pics once I'm back

I didn't know they got down with D'Angelo over there....?

seriously though, good luck man , bring some good luck charms or some shit .. you'll want to dodge any voodoo hexes that may be used against you while pulling up crazy heaters

• Do you have more photos?????? please

This was already my 4th trip to Siera Leone and the first one I took pictures.
    Sunday I'll leave on a 10 day trip to the cities of Coutounou and Porto Novo in Benin, the only country in the world where Voodoo is the official state religion, practiced by around 80% of the population... I promise to post some pics once I'm back

Benin is incredible - I spent a few days there because I had to leave Ghana for visa reasons...amazing history / voodoo / food. I felt like when I was there I was traveling a lot. We did go to this one village that was built in the middle of a lake (the name escapes me) - everything was on stilts (including the coca cola add) and was built for people to hide from slave raiders (you cannot see the village from the shores of the lake). It is pretty incredible, but rather sad. Sanitation and waste management is pretty much nonexistent - everything just goes in the water - and everyone really depends on tourism, but many resent it...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Spent the first day in Cotonou today, had some destilled palmwine before noon and then sped across town on the back of my guides scooter. Unearthed some Poly Rythmo and El Rego niceness but couldn't take pictures despite the increadible street sceneries I was too busy clutching my portable with one hand and holding onto the scooters frame with the other.

More soon...

Frank

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This is why I come to soulstrut. Thank you.

- spidey