Essential new(er) psych? knowledge wanted!!!

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited September 2018 in Music Talk
Can anyone point me in the direction of some post-seventies psych music?

I've been meaning to ask the question for a while and the other psych thread reminded me of it. I thought it was best to make a seperate thread instead of hijacking.

Here's an example of a new psych album I've been digging the last year or so:

Spids Nøgenhat ‎– En Mærkelig Kop Te

It's a Danish band. Spids Nøgenhat is the Danish word for the Liberty Cap shroom (Psilocybe semilanceata) and "En Mærkelig Kop Te" means "A Strange Cup Of Tea". I love this record.

Their label Orpheus Records specializes in (predominantly) vinyl releases of new Danish psych as well as previously unreleased recordings of unknown bands. The guys behind it are some serious enthusiasts. On their site you'll see the following encouragement:If you posess old or new recordings, that should be preserved for posterity and maybe released on vinyl, don't hesitate to contact us. We love stuff like that.Anyway, bring on the new ish. I need a new soundtrack for my mushies.

Comments

• Some bands you might wanna check out:

Bardo Pond
    Bowery Electric - s/t and "Beat"
    Slowdive
    Dungen
    Olivia Tremor Control
    Major Stars/Magic Hour/TV stuff
    Comets on Fire
    early Six Organs of Admittance stuff

• whatwhatwhatwhat 89 Posts
    Some 80's psyche:

Dukes of Stratosphere
    Chrome
    Legendary Pink Dots

• Dungen

definately check them out. especially Ta Det Lugnt, their most recent record.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Ghost

• Can anyone point me in the direction of some post-seventies psych music?

Plasticland...

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I dig some of the later Blacklight Braille stuff. This might be more progressive neopagan folk than psyche, though

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the first two (and ONLY the first two, all the others are shit) Mercury Rev LPs ("Yerself Is Steam" and "Boces") are some next level, original sounding shit...very very good.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    NOT SURE BOUT THAT NEW ISH SSHIT, BUT THE FRST ONE EVER PSYCHLY SPEAKIN HAS TO BE REVOLVER..RIGHT?

I MEAN NO PSYCH RECS BEFORE 1966... OR?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    You may wanna check out some stuff on the Rockadelic label...

Burnin' Rain
    Bag
    Liquid Sound Company
    Fish Eyed Lens
    Lithium X-Mas

And if you're into heavy duty industrial psych find some Mazinga Phazer, especially since one of it's members has posted in this thread

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Perhaps not strictly psych, but that new Espers album is pretty dope. Cosign on Ghost as well.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the first two (and ONLY the first two, all the others are shit) Mercury Rev LPs ("Yerself Is Steam" and "Boces") are some next level, original sounding shit...very very good.

Fuck that (though those records are GREAT) it's all about "See You On The Other Side"

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Taking notes here. Thanks for all the suggestions, people.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Fuck that (though those records are GREAT) it's all about "See You On The Other Side"

So much of what was great about Mercury Rev was David Baker. He more than just a vocalist, he was an idea man, had a lot to do with the arranging, etc...they just became the Jonathan Donahue Experience after they kicked David out. Unfortunately Mercury Rev without David Baker is boring and nuetered...also David Baker without Mercury Rev is the same way. There was a certain chemistry between those dudes that is reflected on those first two LPs that will ever be captured again unfortunately...those records changed shit in a major way as far as noise and pop being blended together...those other LPs dont seem very essential to me...

• queequegqueequeg 65 Posts
    A big one you may or may not know is My Bloody Valentine. Recorded late 80s/early 90s and just mastered the concept of the soundscape in rock music just piling layers of crushingly beautiful noise together in like a blender with distant echoey female vocals. Loveless is the album to get, but all of their stuff is worth hearing and it's a small enough catalog that you can get into them easily enough.

Another biggie is group Spacemen 3 who could do skull crushing noise just as well as a tight pop song. This group broke up and formed Spiritualized and Experimental Audio Research. Never got into EAR but Spiritualized, especially the first few albums, is great stuff.

Cool band out of Japan called Boredoms moved from sort of a more punk sound into some amazing sonic spectrum type shit in the mid-90s. Two great albums- one's called Super Ae and the other is Vision Creation Newsun. Both essential.

Seconds on the recommendations of: Mercury Rev, Swervedriver and Slowdive. "Meth of a Rockette's Kick" by Merc Rev is my jam! Keep an eye on volume with that one though especially if wearing headphones. Gets intense at the end!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I wouldn't really call Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, etc "psych".

• queequegqueequeg 65 Posts
    Yeah you know you're right. I guess in my mind it's sort of a modern equivalent to what psych was back in the 60s. But no not the same. Course as the old psych thread shows that term means anything to anybody.

• I wouldn't really call Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, etc "psych".

Why not? If you're stoned, the results are the same.

8000 layers of guitar sound pretty psychedelic to these ears.

I tend to lump all the "spacey soundin' shit" under the umbrella of "psychedelic".

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I love Bowery Electric - beat, but would never think of that as psych by any means.

• Perhaps not strictly psych, but that new Espers album is pretty dope. Cosign on Ghost as well.

Cosign on Espers, although I liked their first album better. Along similar lines (moody folk with a healthy dash of psychedelic elements) is the group Feathers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Legendary Pink Dots

Dont they lean towards Industrial?

Perhaps not strictly psych, but that new Espers album is pretty dope. Cosign on Ghost as well.

Cosign on Espers, although I liked their first album better. Along similar lines (moody folk with a healthy dash of psychedelic elements) is the group Feathers.

Cosign on Feathers. I dig Espers but like Feathers way more personally.

• I love Bowery Electric - beat, but would never think of that as psych by any means.

What do you call it then? Post rock? BAH! It's modern psychedelia as far as I'm concerned...or at least, "space rock".

I see from a lot of you guys' responses that you think I apply the term too liberally. To me, psychedelic is a head space that certain kinds of music put you in. The feeling of being stoned without have to get high. It doesn't have to do w/ the outer trappings or a fuzztone or whatever. JMO.

I love Bowery Electric - beat, but would never think of that as psych by any means.

What do you call it then? Post rock? BAH! It's modern psychedelia as far as I'm concerned...or at least, "space rock".

I'd call it more ambient with hip hop beats. Only cuz I don't wanna say the words trip-hop, haha. Whatever it is, its a great chill album that I've liked since it came out.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Massive co-sign on Spacemen 3.

Also on the 80's tip:

^^ this record shreds! ^^

And more of a garage revival vein, but with some psych touches:

...in a weird twist of fate, the above album is actually
    the first place I heard many 60's classics, as I picked this
    up as a 14-year-old punk rocker and was blown away by covers
    like "Five Years Ahead of My Time," "Don't Tread on Me"
    & "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" - and spent the next 20 years
    tracking down the originals, and similar sounds...so: THANKS, THE NOMADS!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Why not? If you're stoned, the results are the same.

8000 layers of guitar sound pretty psychedelic to these ears.

I tend to lump all the "spacey soundin' shit" under the umbrella of "psychedelic".

yeah, you're right - stuff like Pygmalion and Loveless are really trippy. I guess I'm just looking at it based on the fact that they really weren't from the whole psych revival scene.

Legendary Pink Dots

Dont they lean towards Industrial?

Some of their early records are extremely psychadelic.

• I wouldn't really call Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, etc "psych".

"shoegaze" would be the commonly accepted moniker nowadays.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Does Ben aka SexyBnice still post here? I need to get at him to see if he still has some of those Civilized Age CDs left. That was some hot psyche-tinged rock. Great cover art, too.

This came up under a google image search. I'm guessing it's the same group:

• What about Broadcast? They are definitely influenced by pysch and musically 'The Ha Ha Sound' definitely had some Silver Apples like moments, particularly 'Pendulum'.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Legendary Pink Dots

I always wanted to check them out since learning that Ryan Moore AKA Twilight Circus Dub Sound System, who does excellent spaced out dub records, is an ex-member of the Pink Dots.

• awallawall 673 Posts