essential psych? knowledge wanted!!!

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i dont pretend to know too much about "psych" and what i do know is probably due to the appearances of strong rhythym sections.
    maybe these work on the not too raer tip:
    Can records
    animated egg
    glass prism
    old gong LPs
    amon duul
    and the soulstrut classic- demon fuzz/afreaka

im going to check for those floyd records mentioned above. thanks, t

• Schoggi, I grabbed the mp3 you posted of this back at the end of last year when you mentioned this record. any chance we could get you to post this whole bad boy up?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, it is hard to pin down what psych is when a lot of folks call a record "psych" because there is a fuzz guitar solo or maybe just an assload of reverb, but I would classify these as truely psych records:

the first 3 Os Mutantes LPs....now, some folks might feel that these LPs are overrated, but I do not. Psychedelic in every sense...the sound, the arrangements, the songwriting, studio processes...the whole kit and kaboodle...I assume the lyrics are but I dont know Portugese.

The late 60s output by Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso...the backing band for these LPs, Os Brazoes, also made a damn fine LP.

Brainticket "Cottonwood Hill" and "Celestial Ocean" Swiss/Italian out thereness. "Cottonwood Hill" might be one of the most relentlessy pyschedelic LPs of all time.

Pretty Things "SF sorrow"

Faust "IV" their most poppy, straightforward LP of songs, but truely psych in every sense of their dirty, conmune living German hippyness..

will post more later...gotta run.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    These are good:

Ultimate Spinach S/T
    SRC S/T
    Joyride - Friend Sound
    Twink - Think Pink
    Mecki Mark Men S/T
    The Head Shop S/T
    Mashmakhan S/T - Is this psych, is this pop, or is it soul? I don't know but it's pretty rad.

Dark - Round the Edges is so damn rare, but so damn essential at the same time. Cop reissue w/ bonus tracks.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

some european psych is nice.
    Name some of your favorite albums.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    PSUCH IS DEFINATELY WHERETIS AT NO DOUBT, F*CK AL THAT OTHERR SHIT, PSYCH IS IT!!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Shiva's Headband - Undermine
    Pussy - All of my life
    The Baroques - Mary Jane
    The Rugbys - King and Queen of the world
    Listening - You're not there
    Arcadium - It takes a woman
    Human Beast - Reality presented as an alternative
    Tripsichord - Family song
    Blues Magoos - Pipe Dream
    The Illusion - I love you, yes i do
    Reign Ghost - Travels of Blue Paradox
    Pussy - Come back June
    The Morning Due - Sing out
    Blues Magoos - She's coming home
    Tripsichord - Fly Baby
    JK and Co. - Fly

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    old gong LPs

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• Oi! Hcrink made a record!

• I would recommend Rotary Connection - S/T and Songs to those partial to the groove side of things. And though the following aren't essential, I've been into Battered Ornaments - Mantle-Piece and Ford Theatre - Trilogy For The Masses. Womb's records (S/T, and Overdub) are also worth checking out. As stated earlier in the thread, the genre is very expansive and I would say coming from a funk and jazz digging perspective that my tastes often lean toward what many consider jazz rock and even prog.

Also not essential, but Ame Son - Catalyse is an interesting record

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    I always have problems classifying psych, whether its just classic rock, psych, etc.
    Sometimes things are just hard to classify, and that is a good thing, but bad for my Itunes since I have to have everyrthing labeled right cause I'm anal like that, anyways would you guys, and ladies, tell me if you think anything in here is not psych and what would you label it as , thanks

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Oi! Hcrink made a record!

bastard!

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    no filler here:

IU WOULD DEFINATLY PICK THIS UPPPPPPP!
    THEN AGAIN WHO WOULDNT...

do you know it???

• queequegqueequeg 65 Posts
    I always have problems classifying psych, whether its just classic rock, psych, etc.
    Sometimes things are just hard to classify, and that is a good thing, but bad for my Itunes since I have to have everyrthing labeled right cause I'm anal like that, anyways would you guys, and ladies, tell me if you think anything in here is not psych and what would you label it as , thanks
    Most looks good from here, Bruce. Maybe a bit of a stretch on the Manfred Mann which is a little too jazz fusiony bordering on early prog for me to call it psych. Cool you got the little "listening to" check on J.K. & Co. which is just a sick cut. Can you believe White Wale screwed kid by releasing that like 30 sec intro track on side 1 before "Fly" as the single for the album? Fucking stupid heads.

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    Schoggi, I grabbed the mp3 you posted of this back at the end of last year when you mentioned this record. any chance we could get you to post this whole bad boy up?

i'd like to share it but i can't record at the moment! maybe in a couple of weeks all will be okay again... also the website needs an update... damn, need to concentrate, i'm totally pissed... almost fell 2 times with my bike... was hanging around outside at the river all the night... had my mp3 player with me, full of deep soul/funk & afrosounds plus loads of beer & gin... damn, the sun is rising! my pal is still sleeping outside totally drunk, poor bastard, hope no dog will piss on him in the morning! Edzayawa is a total killer... this is all i can say! raw & deep early 70s sounds, no gayish' sounding late 70s "la la" modern disco shit! peace

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    these are the only things that i have i would think about calling psych...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ps. i like the aforementioned funkier moments, so beware.

Neighb'rhood Childr'n-Long Years In Space
    Quatermass - Punting
    Ufo - Unidentified Flying Object
    THE_GRODECK_WHIPPERJENNY__Put Your Thing On Me
    IOTA__RIP
    McDonald And Giles -Tomorrow's People
    Pax -Exorcism
    Manfred Mann - Snakeskin Garter
    PHANTASIA__GIVE LIFE ANOTHER TRY
    Sapphire Thinkers - There's A Woman
    DEVIANTS__?
    Stone The Crows - Ode To John Law
    Jim_Sullivan-U.F.O
    Impala Syndrome - New Love Time
    Arzachel - Queen St Gang
    Patto - You, You Point Your Finger
    Annette Peacock - pony
    Darius - DON_T_YOU_FEEL_ME
    Secos e Molhados - Delirio
    Ghetto Brothers-03-Got This Happy Feeling
    Elektriktus - Electronic Mind Waves
    The Love Depression - Gon??na Ride
    Neon Pearl - Urban Ways

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There are some records that are classics that you can easily find.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing at Baxter's
    Moby Grape - s/t
    United States of America - s/t (can be had for less than $30 and is GREAT)
    get some Byrds albums....not all psych but essential nonetheless
    Quicksilver Messenger Service -- s/t and Happy Trails

find a used copy of the Nuggets box

listen to any Pink Floyd album up to Meddle

You need those aforementioned 13th Floor Elevators albums too.

Moby Grape - Wow

Yeah, seriously - I can't think of anything remotely psych
    about that album whatsoever. Or am I forgetting something?

• darendaren 28 Posts
    Acid Mothers Temple & The Cosmic Inferno
    Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO
    Los Dug Dug
    P??rson Sound
    ahh hell, Hawkwind, Blue Cheer, and Incredible String Band. Popol Vuh is good too in the Kraut territory. They did a lot of soundtracks for Werner Herzog films if you've seen his older ones.

All those mentioned before I posted are good too. In the pop arena, I think I love all that Tropicalia that came out in the 60s the most.

I also like Silver Apples a lot, but I don't think they are overrated. They might be name-dropped a LOT because of their relatively underground status, until they were unearthed and proclaimed as a hidden gem of that era in the 90s. Honestly, for people who dig records looking for weird gems, S/T is pretty weird, especially for its time.

I've also heard that Zappa covered some psych-style music and even mocked it with his own fake freakout live. I'm not too familiar with his work though, so if someone knows what I'm talking about, please give me some help on the topic.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts

thanks every1.great response! some shit mentioned here i gotta check out

I've also heard that Zappa covered some psych-style music and even mocked it with his own fake freakout live. I'm not too familiar with his work though, so if someone knows what I'm talking about, please give me some help on the topic.
    check out the hot rats LP. the only great zappa shit i've heard so far.

• Hot Rats is not the only great Zappa LP. Granted Gumbo Variations and Peaches En Regalia are incredibly executed tracks (esp. Ian Underwood on reeds), but Weasels Ripped My Flesh and Chunga's Revenge shouldn't be overlooked. To be perfectly honest, I believe Zappa's output has been hated on pretty severely on this board, and though I don't advocate dropping loot on any of these records; they provide a good listen. Songs like Sharleena and Magdalena should not be missed.

• a mix of proggy-psyche.

ps. i like the aforementioned funkier moments, so beware.

Neighb'rhood Childr'n-Long Years In Space
    Quatermass - Punting
    Ufo - Unidentified Flying Object
    THE_GRODECK_WHIPPERJENNY__Put Your Thing On Me
    IOTA__RIP
    McDonald And Giles -Tomorrow's People
    Pax -Exorcism
    Manfred Mann - Snakeskin Garter
    PHANTASIA__GIVE LIFE ANOTHER TRY
    Sapphire Thinkers - There's A Woman
    DEVIANTS__?
    Stone The Crows - Ode To John Law
    Jim_Sullivan-U.F.O
    Impala Syndrome - New Love Time
    Arzachel - Queen St Gang
    Patto - You, You Point Your Finger
    Annette Peacock - pony
    Darius - DON_T_YOU_FEEL_ME
    Secos e Molhados - Delirio
    Ghetto Brothers-03-Got This Happy Feeling
    Elektriktus - Electronic Mind Waves
    The Love Depression - Gon??na Ride
    Neon Pearl - Urban Ways

I've been really enjoying this mix in the last week or so. Thanks a lot for that

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    Hot Rats is not the only great Zappa LP. Granted Gumbo Variations and Peaches En Regalia are incredibly executed tracks (esp. Ian Underwood on reeds), but Weasels Ripped My Flesh and Chunga's Revenge shouldn't be overlooked. To be perfectly honest, I believe Zappa's output has been hated on pretty severely on this board, and though I don't advocate dropping loot on any of these records; they provide a good listen. Songs like Sharleena and Magdalena should not be missed.

cool i must check that stuff. are 'weasels' & 'chunga' solo shit? or mothers of invention lp's?

gotta luv willie the pimp too!

• cool i must check that stuff. are 'weasels' & 'chunga' solo shit? or mothers of invention lp's?

gotta luv willie the pimp too!

Weasels is the Mothers, Chunga is Zappa.

Weasels features one of my fave Zappa tunes, My Guitar Wants To Kill Ya Mamma!

Superb!

• I'm partial to Chunga's 'Rudy Wants To Buy Yez A Drink' featuring George Duke on the trombone.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Damn all this psych talk made me pull out the shrooms last night. Tripping out, listening to records and making a dub track that actually turned out pretty well. Didn't fall asleep until 8 this morning. Damn I'm busted now.

Pulled out this one in the process:

with a pre-Motorhead Lemmy on the left. This is the track I think is the strongest on the album:

Funny hearing Lemmy doing his hippie thing. Far from "The Ace Of Spades".

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Human Beinz.
    And not to be a drag, but I wouldn't call less than half of the aformentioned psych.

Montreal is a great folkish album.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    pop some shrooms and all music becomes psych, guuyyyy!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dear soulstrut,

I really didn't know that "Psych" was confused with tropicalia and progrock until this thread. Now, I know why most prices suck. Thanks.

- spidey