Soundtracks Nowadays....

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I was thinking and wishing that more soundtracks that come out today are mainly comps and how nice it would be if a Single Artist did the whole thing.. Like the good old days... Though their is a lot of composers doing them still.. How about non blockbuster movies... It would be nice to see a full soundtrack done by Gangstarr or Axelrod etc... Anyone feel the same??? Or Not???

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sure... did you catch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Magnolia? Jon Brion did a lotta nice tracks for Eternal and Aimee Mann was featured prominently in Magnolia. Kinda like Elliott Smith for Good Will Hunting, but that's not a great example.

Yeah, I kinda wish there were more epic statements like Taxi Driver, etc.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    i cant stand bullshit ass techno soundtracks, made by some "composer" with reason and a triton.
    Loved rzas soundtrack to ghost dog.
    I would love to score a movie, to have an orchestra(complete with a funk ass rhythm section) at my fingertips. Its my dream.

Id like to see scores by:

axelrod
    DJ Quik
    janko nilovic
    the neptunes

As long as Eminem doesnt score the movie to his life story im happy.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Air / Virgin Suicides = Rad

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Agreed. Air's OST for Virgin Suicides is a stunner. Very creepy!

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Bjork / Dancer in the Dark = facemelt

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I too thought it was a hot soundtrack. But it pretty much sounded like reason and a triton to me! haha.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    I was thinking and wishing that more soundtracks that come out today are mainly comps and how nice it would be if a Single Artist did the whole thing.. Like the good old days... Though their is a lot of composers doing them still.. How about non blockbuster movies... It would be nice to see a full soundtrack done by Gangstarr or Axelrod etc... Anyone feel the same??? Or Not???

More popular these days is to see two releases at your local Tower. One will be a soundtrack and the other will be a score. Apparently this was not as common back in the day and most producers just had one guy do everything I think. Or not who knows.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sure... did you catch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Magnolia? Jon Brion did a lotta nice tracks for Eternal and Aimee Mann was featured prominently in Magnolia. Kinda like Elliott Smith for Good Will Hunting, but that's not a great example.

Yeah, I kinda wish there were more epic statements like Taxi Driver, etc.

Speaking of Jon Brion, don't forget this one:

Some seriously non-hollywoodish shit on this one. Haven't heard the soundtrack on its own, but it certainly blew my mind when I saw in the movie theater. Spooky and strange. Just the way I like it.

I liked El-Ps score for this one as well:

Corny movie, nice soundtrack. By the way, I just realized that the guy who played Blest in the above was the same guy who played Scooby in "Storytelling".

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

I would love to score a movie, to have an orchestra(complete with a funk ass rhythm section) at my fingertips. Its my dream.

same here

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I liked Holmes score for Ocean 12. I don't know what the album sounds like.

• merlemerle 39 Posts
    mark mothersbaugh's work on wes anderson's flicks has been quite good.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I liked Holmes score for Ocean 12. I don't know what the album sounds like.

All David Holmes stuff is very good.......but I recommend to check for his "Out of Sight" soundtrack....is raw and funkier than Ocean 11 & 12

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I'd like to do both, to select music for the soundtrack and the film, just to be able to give the songwriters some extra $$$ they haven't seen in a long time. But to be able to put together a soundtrack from start to finish would be great too.

I agree, it should be done like that. I know Batman is another example where you had not only Prince's own album, but Danny Elfman's score.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Is there a bootleg of this available? I have only ever seen the "soundtrack" with hip hop vocal jams, some from the film, some not. The only time I ever saw the "score" of RZA's instros was a promo CD once or twice on eBay around when the film came out, and it went for $$$ each time.
    Has anyone ever seen the score on wax??

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I had the Jap. only pressing of rzas original instrumentals for the film. Unfortunately it was in a cd case that got stolen and i havent been able to find another copy. A VERY strong listen, front to back.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts

illest score ever.

This is the first one that popped into my mind. Very moody. Very atmospheric. Not listened to it outside the movie, mind.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts

Is there a bootleg of this available? I have only ever seen the "soundtrack" with hip hop vocal jams, some from the film, some not. The only time I ever saw the "score" of RZA's instros was a promo CD once or twice on eBay around when the film came out, and it went for $$$ each time.
    Has anyone ever seen the score on wax??

The Instrumentals only came out on a Japanese version. I was looking for it and could only find it was selling for $$. I opted to find it on Soulseek instead.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Here's a relatively recent one I liked:

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Yah i loved the way the music changed along with the eras in that flick. Great movie/soundtrack.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Id like to see [a score] by:

DJ Quik

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    mark mothersbaugh's work on wes anderson's flicks has been quite good.

i love the electronic music when theyre in the sub on life aquatic. did he do all that harpsichord stuff in rushmore and royal tenenbaums? for some reason i never remmeber seeing his name in the credits till life aquatic, but maybe i never paid attention.

and ditto on that virgin suicides soundtrack. bought the cd about a year before i even saw the movie (which was my first dvd)

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I loved the drum machine electronic stuff on TLA, but i reaaly dont like the string based stuff on the soundtrack cd.

I loved the napoleon dynamite soundtrack. Call me crazy.

I loved the napoleon dynamite soundtrack. Call me crazy.

haha, yeah there were bits i liked too. favorite was the clav track with the "one man band plays alone" break....some of the stuff reminded me of money mark. who was credited for the music?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Allmusicguide.com credits it to a nobody named John Swihart.

Anyone ever seen the movie Born Winners (aka Born to Lose)?

Solid flick about junkies in NY. Has a pre-superfame appearance by Deniro.
    DOPE William S. Fischer soundtrack. If anyone knows if its avalable on wax (oe even cd), lemme know.

i can never remember the title, but what was that george lucas movie called from 1969...THX-1138 or something? i read in some star wars book that the soundtrack was by lalo schifrin and it got me interested. good?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    ive seen part of the movie. I turned it off before really noticing the soundtrack though, because it looked to me like Lucas had redone the effects with CGI ala the mid-90's star wars re-releases.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    i can never remember the title, but what was that george lucas movie called from 1969...THX-1138 or something? i read in some star wars book that the soundtrack was by lalo schifrin and it got me interested. good?

The soundtrack is hot as weel as the flick. Keep watching, its boring as fuck, but well worth it. Any former josh fanclub members will aslo get a nerdy kick out of it. the thing that should really be studied is the sound design. Out of control.

And is anybody esle fick and sucking tired of the big orchestra score. Every movie has this 64 piece orchestra that just puts this really cheese dick classical under/over everything. Why cant they just get like eleven tight ass session players to do it? I'm thinking French Connection, Chinatown, that Frech flick that Miles did, etc. Why do they keep wrting that really cheesy mid 1800s fake classical shit? And if its not that, then why only the "electronic soundtrack?"

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    My biggest problem with scores nowadays, is that the main title track, and/or main themes don't stick in your head like the older ones do. Say...50's thru 70's possibly some 80's. I'm talking about your average hollywood blockbuster here. Indie films seem to take more chances on composers the big studios won't touch. Notably Carter Burwell, Jon Brion, Michael Andrews (Donnie Darko), Air, etc. Also, score only soundtracks, no matter how good, are a hard sell for record companies unless you are John Williams or James Horner. So, they don't get released too often. Consequently, we are mostly left with tuning out dialogue & effects to here these little musical gems.

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    i cant stand bullshit ass techno soundtracks, made by some "composer" with reason and a triton.

Id like to see scores by:

axelrod
    DJ Quik
    janko nilovic
    the neptunes

As long as Eminem doesnt score the movie to his life story im happy.

Techno soundtracks are utter shite nowadays, anyone thinking of doing one should be made to sit & listen to the Andromeda Strain soundtrack by Gil Melle, that's how you do it.